Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 19:381 edit
    As California becomes more and more unhinged, more and more friendly and accommodating to lawbreakers, it comes as no surprise that many Americans want the rogue state to just secede and go away.

Calif. man pleads no contest to rape of 5-year-old, sentenced to 90 days of house arrest

“A 5-6-year-old little girl was molested. Normally the sentence is state prison and then when you’re released, you have to register as a sex offender,” family attorney Ken Meleyco said.

KTXL reached out to Deputy District Attorney Kathy Murray, to find out why Burgess was charged with just statutory rape and why he wouldn’t have to register as a sex offender.

Murray deferred a media person, who said to put any questions in writing online and has yet to respond.

“Future victims are not protected,” Meleyco said.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2018/05/25/businessman-pleads-no-contest-to-statutory-rape-of-5-year-old-is-sentenced-to-just-90-days-of-house-arrest/
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 19:442 edits
    What's Tom Wolsey's opinion about this case?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_v._Turner

"On March 30, 2016, Turner was found guilty of three felonies: assault with intent to
    rape an intoxicated woman, sexually penetrating an intoxicated person with a foreign
    object, and sexually penetrating an unconscious person with a foreign object.[61]

Prosecutors recommended that Turner be given a six-year prison sentence based on the
    purposefulness of the action, the effort to hide what he was doing, and her intoxicated state.[62]

Santa Clara County probation officials, including his probation officer Monica Lassettre,
    recommended that Turner be given a "moderate" county jail sentence with formal probation
    based on Turner's lack of criminal history, youth, and expression of remorse.[13]
    The probation report did not mention another woman who said she had been upset by
    Turner's unwanted physical advances at a Kappa Alpha party just eight days before the
    charged offense, though the reports were in the trial record.[63]

On June 2, 2016, Judge Aaron Persky sentenced Turner to six months in the Santa Clara
    County jail[11] followed by three years of probation.[13][64] After three months in jail,
    Turner was released on September 2, 2016.[14][65]"
  3. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 22:18
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    What's Tom Wolsey's opinion about this case?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_v._Turner
    I think his sentence was undeservedly light, I think he totally lied, and he definitely raped a helpless, unconscious girl.

I saw where many thought his account of what happened sounded strange, like a young adult novel. His account took my mind directly to a scene I saw in a movie called The Skin I Live In, which came out 4 years before this happened. I seriously wondered if he got his story from that movie. Not many people have seen the movie so maybe it didn't occur to anyone else.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 22:25
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    I think his sentence was undeservedly light, I think he totally lied, and he definitely raped a helpless, unconscious girl.

I saw where many thought his account of what happened sounded strange, like a young adult novel. His account took my mind directly to a scene I saw in a movie called The Skin I Live In, which came out 4 years before this ...[text shortened]... y from that movie. Not many people have seen the movie so maybe it didn't occur to anyone else.
    "I think his [Brock Turner] sentence was undeservedly light, I think he totally lied,
    and he definitely raped a helpless, unconscious girl."
    --Tom Wolsey

The American lawyer No1Marauder strongly disagreed in earlier thread(s) in this forum.
  5. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 22:28
    "I think his [Brock Turner] sentence was undeservedly light, I think he totally lied,
    --Tom Wolsey

The American lawyer No1Marauder strongly disagreed in earlier thread(s) in this forum.
    That is a real shame. Somehow it doesn't surprise me though. 🙁
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 22:33
    --Tom Wolsey

I'll ignore this after this post because it is just yet another attempt to start a flame war BUT:

I offered no opinion on the sentence in the Turner case except to oppose the recall of the Judge who made it and to point out he adhered to California law in considering the factors in sentencing and that his sentence was in line with the recommendations of the Probation Department. I have been loathe to criticize fact finders in legal cases where they have all the information in front of them while internet posters have only media reports.

Flame away Duchy but try to keep somewhere near the truth - something you rarely do.
  7. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 22:342 edits
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    As California becomes more and more unhinged, more and more friendly and accommodating to lawbreakers, it comes as no surprise that many Americans want the rogue state to just secede and go away.

[b]Calif. man pleads no contest to rape of 5-year-old, sentenced to 90 days of house arrest

“A 5-6-year-old little girl was molested. Normally the sen ...[text shortened]... -pleads-no-contest-to-statutory-rape-of-5-year-old-is-sentenced-to-just-90-days-of-house-arrest/[/b]
    Statutory rape is not the same as rape.* Both are serious crimes, to be sure, but in the case you cite the actual offense was what more commonly is referred to as molestation: the 79-year-old buzzard touched the girl inappropriately.

Despite the fact that the defendant is elderly and in frail health, I would say that the sentence is unusually lenient. However, to decree that the 5th largest economy of the world has "no problem" with rape on account of this one case is just the kind of thing that makes this forum so utterly ridiculous.

But your state of TEXAS -- now there's a state with a firm command of fair and merciful justice. Unless you're not quite as white as ceiling paint:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/13/us/texas-woman-voter-fraud.html

*EDIT: https://www.ageofconsent.net/what-is-statutory-rape
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 22:412 edits
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    I'll ignore this after this post because it is just yet another attempt to start a flame war BUT:

I offered no opinion on the sentence in the Turner case except to oppose the recall of the Judge who made it and to point out he adhered to California law in considering the factors in sentencing and that his sentence was in line with the recommendations ...[text shortened]... reports.

Flame away Duchy but try to keep somewhere near the truth - something you rarely do.
    No1Marauder dishonestly minimizes his support of Judge Persky or Brock Turner.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/debates/brocker-turner-judge-removed.177230
    "We remember you [No1Marauder] and your disgusting insistence it wasn't rape
    because a state law said so."
    --Zahlanzi (to No1Marauder, page 1, post 8. 'Brock Turner Judge Removed' )

This is one thread (perhaps not the only one) in which No1Marauder argued about this case:
    https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/debates/stanford-rapist-convicted-to-6-months-of-jail.169037

Of course, the lawyer No1Marauder wants to play his usual game of "lie and run" because
    he seems afraid of not getting much support here, even if he were to accuse me of being
    paid by Chinese Communists to advocate for more punishment of persons convicted of sexual assault.
  9. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 22:44
    Originally posted by @soothfast
    Statutory rape is not the same as rape.* Both are serious crimes, to be sure, but in the case you cite the actual offense was what more commonly is referred to as molestation: the 79-year-old buzzard touched the girl inappropriately.

Despite the fact that the defendant is elderly and in frail health, I would say that the sentence is unusually lenient ...[text shortened]... /us/texas-woman-voter-fraud.html

*EDIT: https://www.ageofconsent.net/what-is-statutory-rape
    Some further details here: http://www.recordnet.com/news/20180525/da-addresses-79-year-olds-controversial-rape-plea-deal

I seem to remember a thread already covering this case.
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 22:46
    No1Marauder dishonestly minimizes his support of Judge Persky or Brock Turner.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/debates/brocker-turner-judge-removed.177230
    "We remember you [No1Marauder] and your disgusting insistence it wasn't rape
    because a state law said so."
    --Zahlanzi (to No1Marauder, page 1, post 8. 'Brock Turner Judge Removed' )

This is ...[text shortened]... :
    https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/debates/stanford-rapist-convicted-to-6-months-of-jail.169037
    I expected you to lie and you did. I never evinced any "support" for Brock Turner. Z's irrational comment hardly supports your untruthful claim I did.

Those who actually read the thread you linked to will see that.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 22:532 edits
    I expected you to lie and you did. I never evinced any "support" for Brock Turner.
    Z's irrational comment hardly supports your untruthful claim I did.

Those who actually read the thread you linked to will see that.
    "No1Marauder dishonestly minimizes his support of Judge Persky *or* Brock Turner."
    --Duchess64

First of all, the lawyer No1Marauder (who's illiterate when it suits his lying) fails to comprehend what 'or' means.

Second, No1Marauder fails to comprehend (or prefers to distort) what 'support' means.
    I never wrote that No1Marauder 'supported' Brock Turner's criminal actions toward his victim.
    But No1Marauder supported the position of Brock Turner that his sentence was NOT too lenient.

1) Brock Turner believes that his sentence was NOT too lenient.
    2) Many people believe that his sentence was too lenient.
    So there's a conflict. No1Marauder clearly supported the side of Brock Turner. That's all.
  12. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 22:571 edit
    "No1Marauder dishonestly minimizes his support of Judge Persky *or* Brock Turner."
    --Duchess64

First of all, the lawyer No1Marauder (who's illiterate when it suits his lying) fails to comprehend what 'or' means.

Second, No1Marauder fails to comprehend (or prefers to distort) what 'support' means.
    I never wrote that No1Marauder 'supported' Brock T ...[text shortened]... nt.
    So there's a conflict. No1Marauder clearly supported the side of Brock Turner. That's all.
    I gave no opinion on whether the sentence was too lenient or not as you well know. From the last page of the thread you linked to:

no1: I have said repeatedly that I do not agree or disagree with Judge Persky's sentence because I lack all the information that he and the Probation Department had. Your mind reading attempts notwithstanding, that remains my position as even a cursory glance at my posts show.

Please stop lying. Thanks in advance.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 23:031 edit
    I had to say, I thought this was another thread about Roy Moore.

But, I guess Ol' Roy wouldn't move to California.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 23:092 edits
    I gave no opinion on whether the sentence was too lenient or not as you well know. From the last page of the thread you linked to:

no1: I have said repeatedly that I do not agree or disagree with Judge Persky's sentence because I lack all the information that he and the Probation Department had. Your mind reading attempts notwithstanding, that remain ...[text shortened]... my position as even a cursory glance at my posts show.

Please stop lying. Thanks in advance.
    "I'll ignore this after this post..."
    --No1Marauder (page 1, post 6)

As he has done before, the lying troll No1Marauder very quickly breaks his promises.

First of all, by default (at least) No1Marauder's refusal to criticize Judge Persky indicates
    that No1Marauder does NOT believe that his sentence of Brock Turner was too lenient.
    That's consistent with the position of Brock Turner and his camp.

No1Marauder was technically correct when he attacked some writer(s) (Zahlanzi?) for
    writing that Brock Turner had *raped* 'Emily Doe' when he was convicted of only sexual assault.
    Some people may feel disgusted, however, by No1Marauder's lawyerly kind of argument.

"Please stop lying. Thanks in advance."
    --No1Marauder

What a bizarre 'request' (sarcasm) from No1Marauder, who recently loudly insisted that
    I am paid by Chinese Communists to write here! Of course, I have to lie; that's my job, right?
    The Chinese Communists pay me much more for every lie than for every truth that I tell! (sarcasm intended)
  15. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 23:09
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I had to say, I thought this was another thread about Roy Moore.

But, I guess Ol' Roy wouldn't move to California.
    Well, that's one way in which Alabamy and Californy are different: when you bugger underaged girls in Californy, see, you are punished by a judge in a court of law; but in Alabamy you get to be a judge.