1. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 00:11
    Former NFL player Rae Carruth released from prison today after serving 17 years in prison for having his girlfriend killed, trying to also kill their unborn child to avoid paying child support. She died but the child survived, and now has multiple medical problems.

Too soon? Is 17 years enough?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 00:291 edit
    @chaney3

So what is a just penalty for someone taking a life?

YouTube
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 00:32
    @whodey said
    @chaney3

So what is a just penalty for someone taking a life?
    Carruth used his car to block his girl friend's vehicle so his hitman would have an easier time killer her. There is something especially twisted about assisting your hitman as a means to avoid child support.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 00:33
    @quackquack said
    Carruth used his car to block his girl friend's vehicle so his hitman would have an easier time killer her. There is something especially twisted about assisting your hitman as a means to avoid child support.
    Ok, what is a just penalty?
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 00:52
    @whodey said
    Ok, what is a just penalty?
    I'd give him the death penalty. But of course that would interfere with his goal of now having a relationship with his surviving child.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 01:121 edit
    @quackquack said
    I'd give him the death penalty. But of course that would interfere with his goal of now having a relationship with his surviving child.
    Now, now, in a civilized society we let murderers live and only kill innocent unborn children.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 01:20
    @whodey said
    Now, now, in a civilized society we let murderers live and only kill innocent unborn children.
    in civilized societies we don't allow don't legislate a medical decision.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 03:11
    @quackquack said
    That sounds like premeditated murder, which carries a life sentence without parole. Plus, 38states have laws that give rights to the unborn in the form of "fetal homicide" laws:
    http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/fetal-homicide-state-laws.aspx

North Carolina (the state where the murder happened) is one of those states; I'm assuming there's some sort of legal penalty for injuring an unborn as well.

In light of all this, it seems he should still be locked up.

Plus, this guy seems rather remorseless:

https://sports.yahoo.com/rae-carruth-released-prison-17-years-conviction-murder-sons-mother-122154354.html
    “I’m excited about just being out of here. I’m nervous just about how I’ll be received by the public,” Carruth said in a phone interview with WSOC-TV on Sunday. “I still have to work. I still have to live. I have to exist out there and it just seems like there is so much hate and negativity toward me. I’m actually somewhat frightened.”

Somehow he has the nerve to make himself the victim here. I'd have no problem with this guy being locked up much longer.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 03:23
    @chaney3 said
    Former NFL player Rae Carruth released from prison today after serving 17 years in prison for having his girlfriend killed, trying to also kill their unborn child to avoid paying child support. She died but the child survived, and now has multiple medical problems.

Enough for what?
    Time enough to be rehabilitated or enough punishment?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 11:22
    @wolfgang59 said
    Enough for what?
    Time enough to be rehabilitated or enough punishment?
    Can greed and pure selfishness be rehabilitated?
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 12:39
    @chaney3 said

It really depends on who Carruth is today. If the parole board has reason to believe he's really rehabilitated then it might make sense to parole him. In a vacuum, I wouldn't say that 17 years is too light.

Still, I'd shed no tears for him if he were never released.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 12:39
    @chaney3 said
    Can greed and pure selfishness be rehabilitated?
    Sure, why not?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 17:18

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 17:19
    @sh76 said
    Sure, why not?
    I'm not so sure. It's an interesting argument whether such character flaws can be modified or changed.
    Either way, it was a brutally selfish crime.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 18:25
    @chaney3 said
    I'm not so sure. It's an interesting argument whether such character flaws can be modified or changed.
    Either way, it was a brutally selfish crime.
    Even if such character flaws can be modified or changed, behavior can be modified to mitigate the character flaws so that the person can conform to society's expectations.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree