Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    22 Nov '15 02:36 / 3 edits
    Ben Carson wants to monitor all anti american groups, President Carson alone would decide which groups are anti american, of course. This is an example of why the GOP keeps losing the race for the White House. Most voting Americans don't support this type of monitoring program, nor do they support overturning Roe v Wade, defunding Planned Parenthood, doing away with Obamacare,Social Security, building a wall on our southern border, or many of the other GOP ideas.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gop-rivals-condemn-donald-trump-backing-muslim-database-082351029--election.html
  2. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    22 Nov '15 05:50
    Originally posted by bill718
    Ben Carson wants to monitor all anti american groups, President Carson alone would decide which groups are anti american, of course. This is an example of why the GOP keeps losing the race for the White House. Most voting Americans don't support this type of monitoring program, nor do they support overturning Roe v Wade, defunding Planned Parenthood, doing ...[text shortened]... .yahoo.com/news/gop-rivals-condemn-donald-trump-backing-muslim-database-082351029--election.html
    I believe it does not really matter to you what most Americans support or don't support, you just want to get your way.
  3. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    22 Nov '15 11:59
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe it does not really matter to you what most Americans support or don't support, you just want to get your way.
    Sorry if the truth hurts, little RJ :'(
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    22 Nov '15 17:12 / 2 edits
    Ben Carson wants to monitor all anti american groups, President Carson alone would decide which groups are anti american, of course. This is an example of why the GOP keeps losing the race for the White House. Most voting Americans don't support this type of monitoring program, nor do they support overturning Roe v Wade, defunding Planned Parenthood, doing ...[text shortened]... .yahoo.com/news/gop-rivals-condemn-donald-trump-backing-muslim-database-082351029--election.html
    Of course government agencies already monitor groups they consider to be dangerous or anti-American and of course the President is the ultimate arbiter of that policy. How naive does one have to be to think that the FBI doesn't try to monitor activities of groups it considers to be dangerous?

As for your list, there is plenty of support for the proposition that half or more than half of Americans would support a wall between the US and Mexico and and/or a repeal of the ACA.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/repeal_of_health_care_law_favoroppose-1947.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-09-10/trump-s-plan-for-wall-on-mexico-border-divides-public-poll

I can't find polling on monitoring groups, but if someone put a poll out there:

"Do you support government efforts to maintain surveillance on domestic organizations it considers to be a threat to the security of the United States?"

I'll bet support would be well in excess of 50%.

I agree that the GOP is out of touch with the public on abortion. But I also think that most people don't care enough about the issue to vote based on it.
  5. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    22 Nov '15 17:46
    You say this as if it isn't already being done.
  6. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    22 Nov '15 19:10
    Are there anti-American groups????
    Wow. Who'd. Thunk it. What with all the good will the US gives everyone.
  7. 22 Nov '15 21:30
    Originally posted by sh76
    Of course government agencies already monitor groups they consider to be dangerous or anti-American and of course the President is the ultimate arbiter of that policy. How naive does one have to be to think that the FBI doesn't try to monitor activities of groups it considers to be dangerous?

As for your list, there is plenty of support for the proposition t ...[text shortened]... ortion. But I also think that most people don't care enough about the issue to vote based on it.
    I agree that the GOP is out of touch with the public on abortion. But I also think that most people don't care enough about the issue to vote based on it.

We all ought to agree that laws on abortion ought to be handled by the States as it was prior to Roe v. Wade. A president isn't going to have the power to reverse that regardless of his personal beliefs.

Still, that is as good an example as any of an activist court stepping past its prescribed boundaries.
  8. 22 Nov '15 21:31
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You say this as if it isn't already being done.
    Bill would just like to see the focus continue to be on strictly right wing or conservative groups, and not on left wingers.
  9. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    23 Nov '15 00:25
    Sorry if the truth hurts, little RJ :'(
    The truth does not hurt me. I think Carson has a good idea. After all he is a brain surgeon.
  10. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    23 Nov '15 00:30 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sh76

As for your list, there is plenty of support for the proposition t ...[text shortened]... ortion. But I also think that most people don't care enough about the issue to vote based on it.
    The public I associate with are against abortion. So the GOP may be out of touch with your public, but not mine.
  11. 23 Nov '15 04:16
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The public I associate with are against abortion. So the GOP may be out of touch with your public, but not mine.
    SCOTUS needs to butt out of State laws.
  12. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    23 Nov '15 06:49
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Affirmative.
  13. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    23 Nov '15 07:33
    Bill would just like to see the focus continue to be on strictly right wing or conservative groups, and not on left wingers.
    He still believes there is a difference.
  14. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    23 Nov '15 07:55
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    He still believes there is a difference.
    I admit that I haven't seen much difference in what they do, even though they say different things. I am just hoping that if Donald Trump is elected that he will actually be different and do what he says.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    23 Nov '15 09:30
    Unless right wing extremists repeal the 14th Amendment they cannot ignore State laws which violate the fundamental rights of the People.