Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    23 Jan '10 18:04
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Yes.
  2. 23 Jan '10 18:13
    Brace yourselves America,its coming our way soon. They are already advertising what a great thing it is that the police can get "on-star" to turn off the car of a suspect that they are trailing.
  3. 23 Jan '10 18:41
    looks like 1984 wasn't so crazy after all.
  4. 23 Jan '10 19:20
    What's wrong with 'monitoring of antisocial motorists, ­protesters, agricultural thieves and fly-tippers'?
  5. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    24 Jan '10 09:59
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    looks like 1984 wasn't so crazy after all.
    I agree with catfoodtim. But I find the 1984 citation far-fetched. Read it again.
  6. Standard member Redmike
    Godless Commie
    24 Jan '10 10:19
    No, it isn't the final stripping away, it is just a step on the road.

There'll be more.
  7. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    24 Jan '10 10:24
    Originally posted by Redmike
    No, it isn't the final stripping away, it is just a step on the road.

There'll be more.
    My brother in-law, while waiting to join the police force, worked briefly for a security firm monitoring the cameras in the City central area. Other security employees were using the office to snooze all night, they had to have cameras watching the camera watchers.
  8. Standard member expuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    24 Jan '10 10:28
    Do GM cars in europe (Vauxhall, Opel), Austraila (Holdon) and Japan (Isuzu) also come with On Star ?
  9. 24 Jan '10 13:28
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    What's wrong with 'monitoring of antisocial motorists, ­protesters, agricultural thieves and fly-tippers'?
    It distracts attention and diverts action from much more serious criminal activities such as Islamic and other terrorists, muggers, vandals, gang warfare .........
  10. 24 Jan '10 19:09
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    It distracts attention and diverts action from much more serious criminal activities such as Islamic and other terrorists, muggers, vandals, gang warfare .........
    according to what?
  11. Standard member expuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    24 Jan '10 23:05
    Big Brother has assured me that all is OK and there is nothing for us to fear.
  12. 25 Jan '10 01:10
    wait til one crashes and kills someone.
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 Jan '10 21:35
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Brace yourselves America,its coming our way soon. They are already advertising what a great thing it is that the police can get "on-star" to turn off the car of a suspect that they are trailing.
    I have no problem with the police being able to shut down a car trying to take them on a high speed chase. How many lives would be saved if police could avoid high speed chases?
  14. 26 Jan '10 23:00
    Originally posted by sh76
    I have no problem with the police being able to shut down a car trying to take them on a high speed chase. How many lives would be saved if police could avoid high speed chases?
    Look at it like this.
    1. It doesn't have to be a high speed chase.It could be for any reason.
    2. Many people will say," if your not breaking the law what do you have to worry about?" I say, whats not breaking the law today MAY BE breaking the law tomarrow.
    example,speaking out against the government.We really want them to have that power? It may seem very benign at the moment.But what about 5 yrs from now? 10? 15? What if Stalin had this power? Hitler? Castro?
  15. Standard member expuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    26 Jan '10 23:55
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Look at it like this.
    1. It doesn't have to be a high speed chase.It could be for any reason.
    2. Many people will say," if your not breaking the law what do you have to worry about?" I say, whats not breaking the law today MAY BE breaking the law tomarrow.
    example,speaking out against the government.We really want them to have that power? It may se ...[text shortened]... moment.But what about 5 yrs from now? 10? 15? What if Stalin had this power? Hitler? Castro?
    The thought Police are our friends.

BTW, who is it that owns GM again?