Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 May '17 19:21
    As usual, this dress code 'scandal' involves a female player.
    Male players seem incapable of getting into trouble with dress codes. (sarcasm)

http://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-scandal-over-dress-code-in-malaysia

"Chess scandal over dress code in Malaysia"

"At the National Scholastic Chess Championship 2017 in Putrajaya, Malaysia,
    a 12-year-old girl was warned by the chief arbiter because of the "improper dress" she
    was wearing, which was deemed to be seductive and "a temptation from a certain angle".
    The girl, fairly traumatized, withdrew from the tournament and all hell broke out
    in the press, with many thousands of reports appearing in the international news portals."

"Kaushal Kal writes: "At the National Scholastic Chess Championship 2017,
    in Putrajaya, one of my student, who is a 12-YEAR-OLD GIRL felt harassed
    and humiliated by the actions of Tournament Director and Chief Arbiter.
    In the middle of Round 2, (without stopping the clocks) Chief Arbiter informs my
    student that the dress she wore was improper and have violated the dress code
    of the tournament. It was later informed (by Chief Arbiter) to my student and
    her mother, that the Tournament Director deemed my student’s dress to
    be 'seductive' and a 'temptation from a certain angle far, far away'.
    We found this statement completely out of line! Please see attached photo
    of what she was wearing! Completely ridiculous!" The posting gives full
    details of what transpired.

The girl withdrew from the National Scholastics Championships because
    she felt traumatised by a comment about her attire. Naturally a social media
    storm broke over the incident with nothing less than full support for her."

Here's a link to the photo:
    https://scontent.ftxl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18157902_10154911094121281_359361837772042585_n.jpg?oh=826a7eb7a60fd9288e1c4fa5e4e07e15&oe=59BD0118

The photo shows her skirt coming down to her knees (or slightly above).
    Not a weapon of choice in the feminine arsenal of this alleged preteen 'seductress'
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 May '17 22:51
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/only-chess/girls-and-chess-a-struggle.172761
  3. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 May '17 00:123 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    As usual, this dress code 'scandal' involves a female player.
    Male players seem incapable of getting into trouble with dress codes. (sarcasm)

http://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-scandal-over-dress-code-in-malaysia

"Chess scandal over dress code in Malaysia"

"At the National Scholastic Chess Championship 2017 in Putrajaya, Malaysia,
    a 12-year-old ...[text shortened]... tly above).
    Not a weapon of choice in the feminine arsenal of this alleged preteen 'seductress'
    Duchess, when I was 12 the school bully used to beat me up on a weekly basis. He broke my nose and split my lip. When I came home, my father said "better toughen up boy, I'm not going to fight your battles for you!" And you know what? He was right. (And no one wrote any articles about my little situation) You stated this young lady was "fairly traumatized" Well, so was I! Life is unfair.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    05 May '17 00:471 edit
    Originally posted by mchill
    Duchess, when I was 12 the school bully used to beat me up on a weekly basis. He broke my nose and split my lip. When I came home, my father said "better toughen up boy, I'm not going to fight your battles for you!" And you know what? He was right. (And no one wrote any articles about my little situation) You stated this young lady was "fairly traumatized" Well, so was I! Life is unfair.
    Yeah, but the school bully wasn't the headmaster was he?
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    05 May '17 02:451 edit
    "You [Duchess64] stated this young lady was "fairly traumatized"".
    --Mchill (to Duchess64)

No, the description 'fairly traumatized' is not mine. It comes from an article by Peter Long for
    ChessBase, apparently based upon a report by Kaushal Kal (the girl's chess coach),
    who originally used the word 'traumatised' to refer to her.

"... the school bully used to beat me up on a weekly basis. ...
    (And no one wrote any articles about my little situation)."
    --Mchill

Was 'the school bully' the principal of Mchill's school?
    If not, then this is a ludicrous analogy by Mchill.

There's a major difference between misconduct by the authority in charge and by an ordinary individual.
    In this case, the girl felt unfairly treated by the tournament director and chief arbiter, not just another player.

"In the middle of Round 2, (without stopping the clocks) Chief Arbiter informs my student
    that the dress she wore was improper and have violated the dress code of the tournament.
    It was later informed (by Chief Arbiter) to my student and her mother, that the Tournament Director
    deemed my student’s dress to be 'seductive' and a 'temptation from a certain angle far, far away'
    --Kaushal Kal

If another player of her age (who held no particular power over her) had made such a comment
    to this girl, then she might well have been able to handle this situation quietly on her own.
    What Mchill fails to grasp is that a 12 year old girl was apparently being bullied by the adults in authority.
    Can Mchill comprehend the vast difference in power? Since when do we expect 12 year old
    girls to be able to stand up for themselves *alone* and fight for their rights against adults in authority?
    In reality, we expect a 12 year old girl to ask adults to help her fight against other adults.

"Life is unfair."
    --Mchill

Mchill apparently believes that it's worthwhile complaining or attempting to take action only if
    conditions seem unfair to white men (like himself). In other cases, Mchill has consistently
    shown complete insensitivity or callousness about unfairness toward people other than white men.
    In a recent post, Mchill argued that it's not worth caring about something because conditions
    reportedly are worse in the DPRK (North Korea).
  6. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 May '17 03:27
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "You [Duchess64] stated this young lady was "fairly traumatized"".
    --Mchill (to Duchess64)

No, the description 'fairly traumatized' is not mine. It comes from an article by Peter Long for
    ChessBase, apparently based upon a report by Kaushal Kal (the girl's chess coach),
    who originally used the word 'traumatised' to refer to her.

"... the school ...[text shortened]... orth caring about something because conditions
    reportedly are worse in the DPRK (North Korea).
    The racist and sexist troll Duchess, is so blinded by her own prejudices, she cannot see the truth.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    05 May '17 20:19
    The racist and sexist troll Duchess, is so blinded by her own prejudices, she cannot see the truth.
    Mchill keeps showing that he's an abusive lying idiotic troll.