Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    9th Grade...
    07 Dec '17 22:46
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    As I recall, there was a controversy about a computer game in which the (male) player was
    supposed to be an American soldier, cowboy, or settler fighting 'Indians' in the Old West.
    If the player was successful enough in killing 'Indians', he would be rewarded by having
    the opportunity to rape an 'Indian' woman (with a scene of simulated sexual assault ...[text shortened]... ls of war', and raping
    these women has been one of the dearest rewards for victorious warriors.
    You have a bad habit of making horrible accusations without providing details. What game was this?
  2. 07 Dec '17 23:14 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    You have a bad habit of making horrible accusations without providing details. What game was this?
    AThousandYoung should not be so quick to insinuate that I am lying and making up something.

Custer was an American soldier; I forgot that the player had no choice but to be Custer.
    I regret that I may have not have accurately remembered all the game's details, but I
    DID remember the main point about the player being rewarded by raping an 'Indian' woman.

Custer's Revenge
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custer%27s_Revenge

"Custer's Revenge (also known as Westward Ho and The White Man Came) is an adult video
    game produced by Mystique for the Atari 2600. First released on September 23, 1982,
    the game gained significant notoriety for its portrayal of the rape of a Native American woman."

"Custer has to overcome arrow attacks to reach the other side of the screen.
    His goal is to rape a naked Native American woman tied to a pole."

"The focused media attention caused the game to sell approximately 80,000 copies,
    twice as many copies as Mystique's other adult-only games."

"The game's designer, Joel Miller, said Custer was "seducing" the maiden and that she
    was a "willing participant."[4] Ultimately, the game was withdrawn from circulation."

"UGO.com ranked it as tenth on the list of the most racist video games in history in 2010."

I suspect that my lying trolls will keep claiming this is a case of me allegedly lying and making up something.
  3. 08 Dec '17 08:53
    It's strange how violence against children is treated in video games. In Grand Theft Auto V, you can hire a prostitute, murder her when you're done, then when the ambulance and police come murder them with explosives... but you can't bump into a child.
  4. 08 Dec '17 19:41 / 1 edit
    "You have a bad habit of making horrible accusations without providing details."
    --AThousandYoung

FALSE. I have cited sufficient evidence of the American game "Custer's Revenge".

It's a 'horrible accusation' only to people (probably mostly white men) who want to deny
    that Americans are incapable of producing a game (for the entertainment of whom?)
    in which the player (acting as a white man) has the goal of raping an 'Indian' woman.

Most white men here like to deny, however dishonestly, the endemic racism and sexism around them.
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    9th Grade...
    08 Dec '17 20:09
    "You have a bad habit of making horrible accusations without providing details."
    --AThousandYoung

FALSE. I have cited sufficient evidence of the American game "Custer's Revenge".

It's a 'horrible accusation' only to people (probably mostly white men) who want to deny
    that Americans are incapable ...[text shortened]... ost white men here like to deny, however dishonestly, the endemic racism and sexism around them.
    Have you heard about the sequel where the woman rapes Custer? It’s called General Retreat.

I agree that the Mystique corporation made the choice to create a horrible game.

But of course what you want is for people to have negative associations to America so that’s what you emphasize. Who cares that the game was programmed by Hispanics, made in Hong Kong and sold as Swedish Erotica?
  6. 08 Dec '17 20:26
    Have you heard about the sequel where the woman rapes Custer? It’s called General Retreat.

I agree that the Mystique corporation made the choice to create a horrible game.

But of course what you want is for people to have negative associations to America so that’s what you emphasize. Who cares that the game was programmed by Hispanics, made in Hong Kong and sold as Swedish Erotica?
    Earlier AThousandYoung wrongly insinuated that I had lied up and made up this game's existence.

"Have you heard about the sequel where the woman rapes Custer? It’s called General Retreat."
    --AThousandYoung

Is that AThousandYoung's best shot at excusing this extremely racist, sexist game?

As far as I know, this game was created by white men for a target audience of (non-'Indian' ) men.
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    9th Grade...
    08 Dec '17 21:38 / 1 edit
    Earlier AThousandYoung wrongly insinuated that I had lied up and made up this game's existence.

"Have you heard about the sequel where the woman rapes Custer? It’s called General Retreat."
    --AThousandYoung

Is that AThousandYoung's best shot at excusing this extremely racist, sexist game?

As far as I know, this game was created by white men for a target audience of (non-'Indian' ) men.
    It was made by Hispanics of unspecified race. It could just as well have been bitter mestizo Mexicans trying to make their Anglo-American conquerors look bad.

CORRECTION It was made by someone named Joel Miller not Hispanics my bad
  8. 08 Dec '17 21:40 / 1 edit
    It was made by Hispanics of unspecified race. It could just as well have been bitter
    mestizo Mexicans trying to make their Anglo-American conquerors look bad.
    AThousandYoung loves wading into a swamp of bizarre stereotypical ethnic speculation.

How many men at RHP might have the game "Custer's Revenge" in their closets and privately enjoy playing it?