Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 29 Jun '13 17:46 / 1 edit
    I have been reviewing the history of child sacrifice. Here is some of what we know.

The Aztecs sacrificed their children to the gods of Tlaloc, Ehecatl, Quetzalcoati, and Huizilupochtli.

The Incas sacrificed their children to their gods in a ritual known as capachocha.

The Ammonites in the Middle East sacrificed their children of the god of Moloch, whom the Israelites were commanded to extinguish from the land.

In Phoenicia and Carthage they sacrificed their children to the god of Cronus.

The Quran documents pagan Arabians who sacrificed their children to idols.

In Prehistoric Briton, there is ample evidence of child sacrifice.

And last but not least, Uganda. In Uganda during the modern era, there is a revival of child sacrifice despite government attempts to downplay the issue.

This is by no means a comprehensive list but what this shows is the propensity of man to sacrifice his young from all around the world. What does this say about us, especially in the modern era of abortion on demand?
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    29 Jun '13 17:52 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    I have been reviewing the history of child sacrifice. Here is some of what we know.

The Aztecs sacrificed their children to the gods of Tlaloc, Ehecatl, Quetzalcoati, and Huizilupochtli.

The Incas sacrificed their children to their gods in a ritual known as capachocha.

The Ammonites in the Middle East sacrificed their children of the god of Moloch, ...[text shortened]... und the world. What does this say about us, especially in the modern era of abortion on demand?
    When the Natural State ended due to human population increase, suddenly people began to experience bad things. Famine. Disease. War. Etc.

They didn't know why but they thought they had offended the gods. So they punished themselves to make the gods relent. Every culture turns to human sacrifice at some point. It's part of what makes paganism so horrible.

THAT is what Jesus saved us from. Human sacrifice to pagan gods.

The Father in Heaven commanded his followers to kill their children too. It's a famous story - Abraham and Isaac I think.

However the fact that the sacrifice was halted shows that even then Abrahamic religion was shifting away from human sacrifice.

These threads really should be in Spirituality. But at least the annoying God-spammers aren't in this one. Yet.
  3. 29 Jun '13 18:08 / 1 edit

The Ammonites in the Middle East sacrificed their children of the god of Moloch, ...[text shortened]... und the world. What does this say about us, especially in the modern era of abortion on demand?
    Here's what really pisses me off about all you Right to Lifers. Once the unwanted child is born, you God spouting conservative republicans make sure that any aid to assist the mother and child with the most basic needs, health, shelter, food, clothing, education, are denied. In addition, the GOP is trying t make it as hard as they can for woman to access birth control!
  4. 29 Jun '13 18:15 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by whodey What does this say about us, especially in the modern era of abortion on demand?
    More than anything, it shows you how very warped minds can get once religion takes over.

Edit: Hooray! Received an anonymous thumbs down :-)
  5. 29 Jun '13 18:23
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Here's what really pisses me off about all you Right to Lifers. Once the unwanted child is born, you God spouting conservative republicans make sure that any aid to assist the mother and child with the most basic needs, health, shelter, food, clothing, education, are denied. In addition, the GOP is trying t make it as hard as they can for woman to access birth control!
    Do you think that if birth control is provided free, child care, free or low cost food and housing, etc. that whatever economic incentives to refrain from child production outside of marriage are removed.

The economic incentive, or disincentives of the LBJ great society led to almost total dissolution of the black urban family, a unit which had survived slavery and Jim Crow.

Making birth control and abortion widely available at low or no cost, has not led to fewer out of marriage births, or less dependency on welfare. Rather the opposite.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    29 Jun '13 18:24

The Aztecs sacrificed their children to...Quetzalcoati
    Not that one. Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent, was opposed to human sacrifice.
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    29 Jun '13 18:32
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    More than anything, it shows you how very warped minds can get once religion takes over.

That was me.
  8. 29 Jun '13 18:33
    Why?
  9. 29 Jun '13 18:35

All of the warped actions of humans can't be laid exclusively on religion. In many cases, the lack of religion produces similar moral dissolution.
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    29 Jun '13 18:36
    Why?
    Because Communism or Nazi-ism is the sort of thing that happens when people are completely free of religion. Complete disregard for human rights. The Abrahamic God is the god of Natural Law.
  11. 29 Jun '13 18:46
    Originally posted by normbenign
    All of the warped actions of humans can't be laid exclusively on religion. In many cases, the lack of religion produces similar moral dissolution.
    Nowhere did I say or even imply that all of humans warped actions can be laid exclusively on religion. I simply looked at the list from the OP and noticed that most (if not all) examples have their basis in religion.

Maybe Whodey's list is biased.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    29 Jun '13 18:48
    Nowhere did I say or even imply that all of humans warped actions can be laid exclusively on religion. I simply looked at the list from the OP and noticed that most (if not all) examples have their basis in religion.

Maybe Whodey's list is biased.
    Atheistic societies slaughter children. They just don't do it as a religious sacrifice.
  13. 29 Jun '13 18:52
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Because Communism or Nazi-ism is the sort of thing that happens when people are completely free of religion. Complete disregard for human rights. The Abrahamic God is the god of Natural Law.
    Disregarding for a moment whether or not communism or nazi-ism have religious roots; yes, there are other causes to minds becoming warped: Greed, hunger, poverty. Religion is just another example.

One that in due time hopefully will be eradicated.
  14. 29 Jun '13 18:53
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Atheistic societies slaughter children. They just don't do it as a religious sacrifice.
    As I said, maybe Whodey's list is biased. Care to come up with a better list?
  15. 29 Jun '13 18:56
    Originally posted by Phranny
    In other words, the world is a horrible mean place, so lets retain the right to kill babies in order to ease their pain?

All righty then.