Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    28 May '18 11:481 edit
    Always playing the "I'm rubber and you're glue..." game.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 May '18 12:331 edit
    I'm not Trump fan, but it seems to me the more of the anti-Trump crowd plays the more childish "you're a doodyhead" game.
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    28 May '18 13:511 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    Looking for likes? This new thread isn't on any particular topic. Spam.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    28 May '18 14:41
    Originally posted by @sh76
    I'm not Trump fan, but it seems to me the more of the anti-Trump crowd plays the more childish "you're a doodyhead" game.
    So in your assessment, pro-Trump crowds are more reasonable and measured in their arguments than anti-Trump ones?
  5. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    28 May '18 15:19
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    Looking for likes? This new thread isn't on any particular topic. Spam.
    I guess I've got that in common with Trump: I've been "Looking for 'likes' in all the wrong places".
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 May '18 15:47
    I agree. I am not Trump fan either, but wolf probably thinks I am. I never voted for him and I condemn anyone who has Henry (Dr. Evil) Kissinger as an advisor. I also condemn him for bombing Syria twice before an investigation could take place.

I once defended Bolton for saying if the Russian government was behind the cyber hacks they would have not been sloppy enough to leave a cyber trail to Russia. I only defended that one particular statement of his because he was right, not because I liked him. I agree with the North Koreans, he is human scum.

I don't think wolf realizes that some of us are not partisan creatures like him.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 May '18 14:18
    Originally posted by @vivify
    So in your assessment, pro-Trump crowds are more reasonable and measured in their arguments than anti-Trump ones?
    No, that is not my assessment.

Moreover, I don't believe that you think that this was a reasonable inference from my post.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 May '18 14:39
    No, that is not my assessment.

Moreover, I don't believe that you think that this was a reasonable inference from my post.
    Okay. So then you're saying that liberals resort to childish name-calling more often?
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    29 May '18 17:07
    Okay. So then you're saying that liberals resort to childish name-calling more often?
    Objectively speaking, from the number of recent posts that amount to "you're an idiot", then yes. It seems to be popular these days although it contributes nothing to a debate.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 May '18 17:39
    Not liberals per se, but I would say that Trump opponents, on average, resort to childish name-calling more quickly than Trump proponents, at least since the election.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 May '18 17:49
    Not liberals per se, but I would say that Trump opponents, on average, resort to childish name-calling more quickly than Trump proponents, at least since the election.
    You're probably right, since this is a staple of late-night comics, who many liberals have gotten into the habit of getting their news from. It's quite likely that the childish name-calling has seeped into the vernacular of anti-Trumpers who consume all that late-night mockery.

But, I think it's also a matter of which party holds the White House. When Obama was in office, the childish name-calling (Muslim, death-panel-brining, mom-jeans-wearing, weak leader, who's also dictator, etc.) was rampant among Republicans.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 May '18 20:02
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    Doodyhead! 😠
  13. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    29 May '18 22:15
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Doodyhead! 😠
    😀

You're an idiot.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 May '18 23:392 edits
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    Objectively speaking, from the number of recent posts that amount to "you're an idiot", then yes. It seems to be popular these days although it contributes nothing to a debate.
    You're also right. The vast majority of name-calling comes from liberals on this site. The single most notorious name-caller on this site, Duchess, is a liberal. Suzianne frequently begins posts with "hey stupid". Zahlanzi is more than glad to start name-calling. Of course, the majority of name-calling is aimed at conservatives.

However....think about the things conservatives post here. Whodey has posted so many articles from hoax news sites, people barely react any more. Mott frequently posts articles that have nothing to do with what he's debating, or posts sources dated before the even he's discussing even happened. I called him out on this about five times in about two weeks before I gave up caring anymore. No1Marauder still points out how his articles were created before the event in question.

I can go on and on, like how Whodey thinks the Spain is near the equator, but the point is that there are so many horrendously bad arguments, faults of logic, etc., employed by conservatives on this site....how other word beside "idiot" can be used to describe them?

Think about a poster like Sh76. No matter how sharply any liberal disagrees with him, I've never seen anyone call him an "idiot". That's because he's clearly not. His posts are well thought, sourced with legitimate sources, intelligently, etc. Sure, he's not perfect poster; no one, including any of the liberals, are. But Sh76 commands some respect, even from his biggest critics. That shows that the name-calling isn't necessarily childish, but perhaps factually accurate statements.

How else do you describe Freaky, a man who believes in a flat earth? Or Eladar, who believes global warming is hoax, despite the mountains of evidence and vast majority of scientists saying otherwise? Or the believers in a 6,000 year old earth? How else do you describe such beliefs, other than idiotic? is it really factually inaccurate to call them that? What about Mott constantly denigrating blacks? And on, and on.

Still, I must give credit where credit is due. Name-calling isn't really something done by conservatives on RHP.

Admittedly, I actually feel bad when I call Whodey names, because he rarely ever resorts to do so himself. Given the amount of abuse he takes, that's much more than commendable. Same for Eladar, Sh76, and most of the other conservatives. Mott's the only clear exception. I'm sure they've been less than perfect at times, but as far as name-calling is concerned, they're leagues above us liberals.
  15. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    30 May '18 06:34
    You're also right. The vast majority of name-calling comes from liberals on this site. The single most notorious name-caller on this site, Duchess, is a liberal. Suzianne frequently begins posts with "hey stupid". Zahlanzi is more than glad to start name-calling. Of course, the majority of name-calling is aimed at conservatives.

However....think abo ...[text shortened]... an perfect at times, but as far as name-calling is concerned, they're leagues above us liberals.
    Who cares? It's a Chess Site Forum.
    People are people. It's pretty much the same mix everywhere on the Internet. If the rancor were to spill over into real-world streets...then worry.

This little microcosm of society at-large should not be taken too seriously.

Try to relax...have a little fun.