Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 17 Mar '11 07:55
    to what degree is childhood and the teen years a social construct. in differnt socities these times in your life are treated differntly, allthough there are changes in your mental development.

how should childern and you people be treated, what sould their role in society be?
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    17 Mar '11 19:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by daisychainsaw
    to what degree is childhood and the teen years a social construct. in differnt socities these times in your life are treated differntly, allthough there are changes in your mental development.

how should childern and you people be treated, what sould their role in society be?
    Onset of puberty means the person is an adult if he or she lives in a high stress, dangerous environment (this is why we get 11 year old assassins and pregnant 13 year olds). If the environment is safe and stable, adolescents continue to be treated as children.

It really depends on the circumstances.
  3. Standard member avalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    17 Mar '11 19:09

Like the young of any animal, children should be carefully trained with a mixture of reward and punishment techniques and immediately destroyed if they demonstrate unacceptable character traits.
  4. 18 Mar '11 00:08

It has been my experience that children look for guidance and learn through imitation, the question therefore we should be asking is not how children should be treated, but what example we ourselves are setting for our children.
  5. 18 Mar '11 04:33

If that is really your question, and you are not in a loving family, try looking at it this way. Your parents are obligated to feed and house you and keep you safe, and if you apply yourself, they are obligated to pay for your education and help you get a good start in life, and in exchange you are obligated to help them keep you safe, and you are obligated to apply yourself and not make your parents' life unbearable. If you have internet access then you are probably in a part of the world where, if they are not delivering on these basic items, you can can leave, or call on social services if you don't like the deal. It is a luxury and tribute to your education and intelligence if you have time to think of childhood and the teen yours as a 'social construct.' Get. Over. It. But I suspect you are already a bright child who knows all this, so congrads on the topic, and congrads to your parents.
  6. 18 Mar '11 06:38
    im part of a group in my local university, promoting youth voice, im intersted in ideas in how everyone sees young people.
  7. 18 Mar '11 08:24

As you say, there are changes in your mental development throughout your life. If you are asking when a child becomes a young adult or adult, this is as you say a social construct and varies from culture to culture. Generally however and adult is someone capable of independence. So if you still live in your parents house, you are still a child. Even if you are away at school but living off your parents income, you have not yet taken on the full responsibilities of adulthood.

I think I should add that most countries have rules which don't allow anyone under a certain age to run for presidency. This is often about 30 or higher. Increasing maturity continues long after 16 or 21.
  8. 18 Mar '11 10:08
    how should childern and you people be treated, what sould their role in society be?[/b]
    Two words: Choke collar.
  9. 18 Mar '11 16:40
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It has been my experience that children look for guidance and learn through imitation, the question therefore we should be asking is not how children should be treated, but what example we ourselves are setting for our children.
    Black youth in the U.S. comes to mind. Are they victims lashing out against oppression?

Or, imitating what they see "adults" doing and saying in their neighborhoods ?
  10. 19 Mar '11 01:20
    i think it is very hard to put an actual number on things of when a person does or doesnt have a certain quality. ages can be a really bad way of measureing people.
  11. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    19 Mar '11 14:33

I think that sould be left up to the different cultures. I don't wish to pass the buck here, but it seems to me the world has enough problems to deal with, without trying to find a sulution to this question.
  12. 19 Mar '11 17:09
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Black youth in the U.S. comes to mind. Are they victims lashing out against oppression?

Or, imitating what they see "adults" doing and saying in their neighborhoods ?
    Why limit your thoughts to so called 'black youths', until one is prepared to 'let go', of prejudice this same phenomena can be found everywhere from northern Ireland and the streets of Belfast to Jerusalem and the west bank.
  13. 19 Mar '11 17:29
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Why limit your thoughts to so called 'black youths', until one is prepared to 'let go', of prejudice this same phenomena can be found everywhere from northern Ireland and the streets of Belfast to Jerusalem and the west bank.
    I would not say it is prejudice that needs to be let go. Its reality. Same as in Belfast w/white youth. I speak of black youth because that is what I see where I am located.My question is where do any of these groups of youths get this mentality from? To me it seems to obviously be learned behavior. But from where? Parents? Older but young adults who surround them? Media? all of the above?
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    19 Mar '11 17:33
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I would not say it is prejudice that needs to be let go. Its reality. Same as in Belfast w/white youth. I speak of black youth because that is what I see where I am located.My question is where do any of these groups of youths get this mentality from? To me it seems to obviously be learned behavior. But from where? Parents? Older but young adults who surround them? Media? all of the above?
    Well they're subhuman, so you can't expect them to act like white people, can you?

I thought you were in the backwoods of the South where whites jovially call blacks the n-word and nobody gets offended?
  15. 19 Mar '11 17:52
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Well they're subhuman, so you can't expect them to act like white people, can you?

I thought you were in the backwoods of the South where whites jovially call blacks the n-word and nobody gets offended?
    No smart ass. I am in Atlanta currently. A major city unlike backwards Albany NY.If you read my post you would see I referred to whites in Belfast. Or are Irish not white?