Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Sep '12 13:13
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/09/06/chris_matthews_if_obama_beats_the_right-wing_theyre_finished.html

Is he right that if Obama wins this election, the right wing will be crushed and moderate Republicans will take over the Party?

Paging Linc Chafee, Mike Castle and Dick Lugar...

You guys still around?
  2. 07 Sep '12 13:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/09/06/chris_matthews_if_obama_beats_the_right-wing_theyre_finished.html

Is he right that if Obama wins this election, the right wing will be crushed and moderate Republicans will take over the Party?

You guys still around?
    Romney is a hard core conservative how again?

Romney is desperate to arouse conservative support from people such as myself. In fact, moderates like McCan't fell flat on his face and Romney is about to do the same. If you ask me, the GOP is dying on the blood of moderates.

And lastly, Matthews is a retard. I didn't think you gave him that much credit sh.
  3. Standard member telerion
    True X X Xian
    07 Sep '12 13:39 / 1 edit
    So if Romney loses, conservatives will double down on conservatism? Maybe purge the more RINOesque from their ranks, go even more Tea Party, and try again in 2014?

I think Democrats would welcome that strategy.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Sep '12 13:45
    Originally posted by whodey

Romney is desperate to arouse conservative support from people such as myself. In fact, moderates like McCan't fell flat on his face and Romney is about to do the same. If you ask me, the GOP is dying on the blood of moderates.

And lastly, Matthews is a retard. I didn't think you gave him that much credit sh.
    Well, in spite of myself, I actually like Matthews. Yeah he's turned more and more into a partisan shill in recent years but he has that folksy demeanor and at the least, he generally tries to keep things interesting.

Plus, he got in an awesome dig at Michael Moore back in '04 or whatever it was. They were airing a tape of Bin Laden drone on and on about how evil the US is and Matthews says he sounds “like an over-the-top Michael Moore here, if not a Michael Moore”

Yeah, he explained away a little of it later, but Moore was so angry at Matthews that for weeks he put a photoshopped pic of Matthews in a Bin Laden outfit on his website.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/node/3686#ixzz25n7pcdgz
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Sep '12 13:47
    Originally posted by telerion
    So if Romney loses, conservatives will double down on conservatism? Maybe purge the more RINOesque from their ranks, go even more Tea Party, and try again in 2014?

Welcome back, Telerion. We could use a few good ol' fashioned moderates around here these days...
  6. 07 Sep '12 13:51

You guys still around?
    That would be a repeat of Republican losing thinking of the past. The mid terms were unapologetically conservative. If Romney isn't moderate, who is?

Does anyone really take Chris "tingle" Matthews seriously?
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Sep '12 14:25
    Originally posted by normbenign
    That would be a repeat of Republican losing thinking of the past. The mid terms were unapologetically conservative. If Romney isn't moderate, who is?

Does anyone really take Chris "tingle" Matthews seriously?
    The unapologetically conservatives choked away the senate races in Delaware and Nevada.

With conservative identification far outstripping liberal identification in this country, the GOP should be a permanent majority. The exiling of the Rockefeller Republicans is what has caused the strong Dem performance in recent years.
  8. 07 Sep '12 14:26
    Romney is whatever the people who happen to be in the room want him to be.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Sep '12 14:30
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Romney is whatever the people who happen to be in the room want him to be.
    As opposed to Obama who has a bunch of fixed principles... alas, nobody has been able to actually determine what they are.

http://politicalcompass.org/uselection2012
  10. 07 Sep '12 14:43
    As opposed to Obama who has a bunch of fixed principles... alas, nobody has been able to actually determine what they are.

http://politicalcompass.org/uselection2012
    Jeez... can't make a simple joke at Mitten's expense can I?

For the record, I think Romney and Obama like all politicians will change what they say based on who is in the room.

I do think Obama has been more consistent at least on social issues. He's never been in favor of legal abortion, against abortion in all cases, then against it in all but cases of rape & incest for example - like Romney has expressed in various different times in his career and heck even in this campaign.

I think Obama has either lied or simply given in on issues on economics and civil rights for sure.
  11. 07 Sep '12 14:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by telerion

The GOP would rather go belly up than purge themselves of their big government philosophy. After all, corporate America and Big government go hand in hand. Together they micromanage our lives.

As a result, I'm not hopeful of ever purging the GOP of this ilk. After all, if either party purged themselves, where is the money going to come from? What I can't take about liberals is all they want to do is empower the beast. Now I go to jail if I don't buy corporate health care. Nice. And no, I really don't buy that the GOP is all that upset over Obamacare nor do I buy the rhetoric that they will over turn it.
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Sep '12 14:51
    The GOP would rather go belly up than purge themselves of their big government philosophy. After all, corporate America and Big government go hand in hand. Together they micromanage our lives.

As a result, I'm not hopeful of ever purging the GOP of this ilk. After all, if either party purged themselves, where is the money going to come from? What I can ...[text shortened]... GOP is all that upset over Obamacare nor do I buy the rhetoric that they will over turn it.
    You want to purge the GOP to the point where 20% of the country will support it. Not a winning strategy.
  13. 07 Sep '12 14:59
    The unapologetically conservatives choked away the senate races in Delaware and Nevada.

With conservative identification far outstripping liberal identification in this country, the GOP should be a permanent majority. The exiling of the Rockefeller Republicans is what has caused the strong Dem performance in recent years.
    A Senate seat held by someone who caucuses with Republicans but votes with Democrats isn't much of a majority. Almost all of the republican house gains in '10 were Tea Party wins. When Bush43 had both houses, he got nothing done, due to opposition among his own caucus.
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Sep '12 15:03
    Originally posted by normbenign
    A Senate seat held by someone who caucuses with Republicans but votes with Democrats isn't much of a majority. Almost all of the republican house gains in '10 were Tea Party wins. When Bush43 had both houses, he got nothing done, due to opposition among his own caucus.
    2010 was going to be a big GOP year in any case due to the unpopularity of the PPACA and the economic malaise. Perhaps the TP increased enthusiasm on the right, but it almost certainly cost seats in the Senate.
  15. 07 Sep '12 16:03

You guys still around?
    Chafe spoke at the Democratic Convention. You've lost him.