Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    16 Dec '09 05:49 / 1 edit
    I am listening to Obama's speech "A More Perfect Union" - an incredible speech - and he brought up "that old truism: the most segregated time in America is Sunday Morning".

Is there any reason to believe that this correlation - between Christianity and segregation - is causal?

That is, was Protestantism a cause of segregation?
  2. 16 Dec '09 20:14
    ? why do you bring Protestantism into it?
  3. 16 Dec '09 20:16
    Thread 123009

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Zionists remind me of white people who are racist vs blacks and Latinos, a more common kind of white racism where I love then the old school anti-Jew types. I've even heard white supremacists say "I don't have a problem with Jews". Sam the Sham types, perhaps.
  4. 16 Dec '09 20:16
    do you find whites to be more racist or blacks, latinos, etc. to be more racist?
  5. 16 Dec '09 20:35 / 1 edit
    I am listening to Obama's speech "A More Perfect Union" - an incredible speech - and he brought up "that old truism: the most segregated time in America is Sunday Morning".

Is there any reason to believe that this correlation - between Christianity and segregation - is causal?

I consider segregation to be something that is forced. I think it's human nature for people to flock to crowds that are like themselves. Hence the saying; birds of a feather flock together.

If you went to a multiracial high school I'm sure you'll agree that blacks tended to hang out with black, latinos with latinos, etc. Of course there were always exceptions. I think many churches tend to be the same way. It's not so much segregation as it is people (consciously or unconsciously) going to where they feel most comfortable.
  6. 16 Dec '09 22:10
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I consider segregation to be something that is forced. I think it's human nature for people to flock to crowds that are like themselves. Hence the saying; birds of a feather flock together.

If you went to a multiracial high school I'm sure you'll agree that blacks tended to hang out with black, latinos with latinos, etc. Of course there were al ...[text shortened]... on as it is people (consciously or unconsciously) going to where they feel most comfortable.
    The tribal instinct, but it is only the 'whites' who are blamed for it these days by the loony left brigade which is well represented on this forum.
  7. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    16 Dec '09 22:25

I can see roughly where you might be coming from, but remember that several protestant sects opposed slavery, and plenty of protestants from sects that did not speak out against slavery did so on an individual basis; and all those from those groups who did so (protesting protestants, as it were), did so out of a specifically religious, protestant faith - that protestantism that speaks of equality before god and seeks justice on earth.

I say all that as an atheist, but protestantism, I think, has been too wide-ranging in its effects, and so diffuse and fragmented anyway, that it's difficult to condemn or praise it as a totality. It's just been too big and important; it would be like asking a similar question about the Enlightenment or the Industrial Revolution.
  8. 17 Dec '09 00:06
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    The tribal instinct, but it is only the 'whites' who are blamed for it these days by the loony left brigade which is well represented on this forum.
    Can you give me an example of the "loony left brigade" blaming whites for it on this forum?
  9. 17 Dec '09 00:18
    Originally posted by DrKF
    I can see roughly where you might be coming from, but remember that several protestant sects opposed slavery, and plenty of protestants from sects that did not speak out against slavery did so on an individual basis; and all those from those groups who did so (protesting protestants, as it were), did so out of a specifically religious, protestant faith - that p ...[text shortened]... would be like asking a similar question about the Enlightenment or the Industrial Revolution.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Brown_(abolitionist)

Brown withdrew his membership from the Congregational church in the 1840s and never officially joined another church, but both he and his father Owen were fairly conventional evangelicals for the period with its focus on the pursuit of personal righteousness. Brown's personal religion is fairly well documented in the papers of the Rev Clarence Gee, a Brown family expert, now held in the Hudson [Ohio] Library and Historical Society.
  10. 17 Dec '09 00:38
    I am very much pro-segregation.

can you imagine the chaos that will bring to this planet if everyone is brought together. it's best to leave some of the unwanted people on the other side of the fence. as they say good fence makes good neighbor.
  11. 17 Dec '09 00:53
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    I am very much pro-segregation.

can you imagine the chaos that will bring to this planet if everyone is brought together. it's best to leave some of the unwanted people on the other side of the fence. as they say good fence makes good neighbor.
    Who would you class as 'unwanted people'? And why?
  12. 17 Dec '09 02:50
    Originally posted by The Snapper
    Who would you class as 'unwanted people'? And why?
    anyone that has not written a profle.
  13. 17 Dec '09 10:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    The cap fits you for a start, the creature with the cesspit mind.
  14. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    17 Dec '09 10:55
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    The cap fits you for a start, the creature with the cesspit mind.
    Sartor Retardus.

You sound Latin for that which you are.
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    17 Dec '09 11:38
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    do you find whites to be more racist or blacks, latinos, etc. to be more racist?
    By the definition I was taught in "Cultural Paradigms of Education", only the dominant culture (whites in this case) is capable of racism.

My school however fits the most dramatic stereotypes of left wingers; marxist, vote for the black guy as part of an attempt to get black support for gay marriage (which failed, as I was taught in "Introduction to Teaching and Learning" - those ungrateful jerks ), etc.

More reasonably, racism has been equivalent among the races as far as I can tell.