Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Nov '12 13:54
    http://thehill.com/video/in-the-news/204111-gov-christie-underestimate-president-obama-at-own-peril-

The man is clearly setting up a 2016 run.

First, he championed Romney like the good team player to ingratiate himself to the GOP establishment. Then he torpedoed him at the last second in a move that could reasonably be explained away as selfless patriotism.

Now, this interview:

Republican New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie criticized President Obama's leadership prowess and governing abilities, but warned detractors that if they underestimate the president's political savvy it would be at their "own peril."

"Those who underestimate the Barack Obama underestimate him at their own peril. He is as good a politician as I've ever seen," said Christie on OWN's "Oprah's Next Chapter."

Christie laid the responsibility of ending deadlock in Congress squarely at the feet of the president. He blamed Obama for what he called Congress's "war with itself" in the one-hour show with Oprah Winfrey, which airs Sunday, Jan. 15 on OWN.

"I think the only person who can call a truce on Congress's war with itself is the president," he said.

The New Jersey governor touted his own political leadership and willingness to work with Democrats in his state.

"There is a boulevard between getting everything you want and compromising your principles. I won't compromise my principles, but I acknowledge I won't get everything I want and I think that's what's not happening in Washington right now, and I think the only person who can make that happen right now is the president," Christie said.

He didn't think he could beat Obama so he sat out this year. He'll finish his term as governor of NJ and perhaps not run again if he sees he'll have trouble winning in 2013. Then, with 2 Dem terms up in 2016 (and with Obama's mediocre skills on economic policy, probably another middling economy) he rides in as the savior, the change, the breath of fresh air, etc.

2 things are against him:

1) His weight. He absolutely has to lose weight to become President. But this is very doable, especially if he takes some time off to focus on his health if he doesn't run in 2013.

2) The GOP just tried a blue state governor and might want to try a southerner next time. But if no great candidate emerges, he can still win.
  2. 06 Nov '12 14:39
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://thehill.com/video/in-the-news/204111-gov-christie-underestimate-president-obama-at-own-peril-

First, he championed Romney like the good team player to ingratiate himself to the GOP establishment. Then he torpedoed him at the last second in a move that could reasonably be explained away as selfless patriotis ...[text shortened]... rner next time. But if no great candidate emerges, he can still win.
    It's a little sad that his weight is considered such an issue. I guess after the Taft in a bathtub incident the US still isn't ready for another overweight president.

I think Christie is a good politician and could have a good chance. Whether I could or would support him would really depend on how much he ends up bending over for the religious right and some other issues.

I was taking a look at his stances listed here:

http://www.ontheissues.org/Chris_Christie.htm

There are some definite goods and bads there. Like Romney, he'd be a candidate the religious right would probably have to pinch their nose and close their eyes when voting for him.
  3. 07 Nov '12 08:33
    Would be interesting to see the 2016 presidential race between Christie and Secretary of State Clinton.
  4. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    07 Nov '12 08:48
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Would be interesting to see the 2016 presidential race between Christie and Secretary of State Clinton.
    Apparently, former secretary of state Clinton, unless she has had a Damascus moment and changes her mind from quitting that role.
  5. 07 Nov '12 09:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Apparently, former secretary of state Clinton, unless she has had a Damascus moment and changes her mind from quitting that role.
    But listening to Bill, he sounds like he is going to try to persuade her to run in 2016. I hope for the country she runs and wins in 2016. I also hope that for my daughter.
  6. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    07 Nov '12 09:24
    But listening to Bill, he sounds like he is going to try to persuade her to run in 2016. I hope for the country she runs and wins in 2016. I also hope that for my daughter.
    No offense but Americans of late have had enough trouble electing older males....and she's already 65. By 2016 she'll be pushing McCain territory, and we know how his age played against him!
  7. 07 Nov '12 09:42
    Originally posted by sh76

First, he championed Romney like the good team player to ingratiate himself to the GOP establishment. Then he torpedoed him at the last second in a move that could reasonably be explained away as selfless patriotis ...[text shortened]... rner next time. But if no great candidate emerges, he can still win.
    If someone as big Howard Taft can be elected, so too can Christie.

He will have opposition from Ryan and Rubio, but I think he ought to try an independent run. I would be more likely to vote for him if I knew he would be free from to much right fringe influence.
  8. 07 Nov '12 09:42
    I'm predicting Sherrod Brown as the Dem nominee. Or Rendel.
  9. 07 Nov '12 09:43
    No offense but Americans of late have had enough trouble electing older males....and she's already 65. By 2016 she'll be pushing McCain territory, and we know how his age played against him!
    Didn't hurt Reagan.
  10. 07 Nov '12 10:06
    Ron Paul ran at age 77. Secretary of State Clinton looks like a youngster compared to the decrepit Ron Paul, or even the aging senile Reagan. She is very sharp, and age would not be a problem with the vast majority of the electorate. I definitely think Christie's weight would be much more of an issue that her age.
  11. 07 Nov '12 10:09
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    If someone as big Howard Taft can be elected, so too can Christie.
    I agree that Christie has shown to win despite the weight, and I am glad. It should not be an issue. Yet, this is the TV age with constant image inundation and which is not a good comparison to the Howard Taft age. People are discriminatory against fat people.