Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 31 Mar '11 02:09
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/03/30/2011-03-30_sen_chuck_schumer_caught_on_open_phone_tutoring_pals_on_extreme_zinger_for_gop.html?r=news

    Apparently, Chuck U Schumer was caught on his cell as he was overheard by reporters tutoring his collegues on what to say about the Repubican budget proposal. He said, "I always use the word extreme, that is what the caucus instructed me to use this week."

    So how about it? Is the GOP proposal of reducing the deficit by about 1.6% extreme?
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    31 Mar '11 02:30
    Originally posted by whodey
    Chuck U Schumer caught on his cell
    A politician. On a cell phone. Discussing opponents' proposals. With party colleagues. "Caught on his cell". Wasn't the 2010 election supposed to have swept this kind of Washington DC depravity away?
  3. 31 Mar '11 02:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    A politician. On a cell phone. Discussing opponents' proposals. With party colleagues. "Caught on his cell". Wasn't the 2010 election supposed to have swept this kind of Washington DC depravity away?
    Answer the question. Is a 1.6% reduction in the deficit extreme?

    It is my contention that both parties are depraved. The GOP thinks that people like myself will be content with a 1.6% reduction in the deficit, not that they will even go that far.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    31 Mar '11 03:24
    Originally posted by whodey
    Answer the question. Is a 1.6% reduction in the deficit extreme?
    Was the word "extreme" in reference to "1.6%" or was it in reference to specific measures or cutbacks that form part of the reduction?

    You have suggested here, recently, that the likes of Chuck Schumer and Barak Obama are trying to destroy capitalism, destroy the U.S. and introduce communism or words to that effect.

    If that's the sweep and breadth of your analytical analysis, why are you bothered by whether they are "caught on his cells" using this word or that word in everyday retail political dogfighting?
  5. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    31 Mar '11 15:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Was the word "extreme" in reference to "1.6%" or was it in reference to specific measures or cutbacks that form part of the reduction?
    From whodey's link:

    Just before a conference call with reporters began, Schumer was overheard telling his Senate colleagues that he didn't care much what they said, so long as they used the buzzword "extreme" in saying it.

    "I always use the word extreme," Schumer said. "That is what the caucus instructed me to use this week."

    So, the word is apparently going to be used by the Dem caucus in a general/tactical way, as spin. The Dem's obvious aim is to force a government shutdown over spending by proposing nothing except continued massive spending, then blame the shutdown on the "extreme" right wing's paltry 1.6% proposed cuts. No one is really surprised by this, but Schumer's gaffe did provide a moment of clarity.

    The GOP will jockey to counter the spin, of course.

    House Republicans are planning new legislation attempting to force the Senate to come up with a long-term spending bill of its own. GOP leaders offered more details at a press conference this morning.

    They are currently preparing a resolution — dubbed “The Government Shutdown Prevention Act” — that would formally scold the Senate for failing to act (some 39 days after the House passed a long-term budget resolution, H.R. 1, to cut federal spending by $61 billion) and urge them to pass a spending bill. It would also publicly reiterate the urgency of the situation — the current resolution funding the government expires on April 8.

    http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/263402/gop-preps-shutdown-prevention-act-andrew-stiles
    “The Government Shutdown Prevention Act”.... heh, that's just funny.

    We are going to see a shutdown, and the spin war for who gets the blame is going to be nauseating.
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    31 Mar '11 16:03
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    From whodey's link:

    Just before a conference call with reporters began, Schumer was overheard telling his Senate colleagues that he didn't care much what they said, so long as they used the buzzword "extreme" in saying it.

    "I always use the word extreme," Schumer said. "That is what the caucus instructed me to use this week."

    So, the ...[text shortened]... see a shutdown, and the spin war for who gets the blame is going to be nauseating.
    The spin is and will be manure strewn horse race stuff, indeed. Gingrich's shutdown in the 90s worked in the Dem's favour soundbitewise. If the Tea Paty stuff and the swelling up of fed-upness of late is successfully painted as "extreme" in 2012, plus the Rep's don't field a plausible champion, Obama will probably get reelected.
  7. 31 Mar '11 16:11
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    [quote]Just before a conference call with reporters began, Schumer was overheard telling his Senate colleagues that he didn't care much what they said, so long as they used the buzzword "extreme" in saying it.
    The funny part is that the extremist are attempting to call those who oppose them extremists.

    The Dems won't be happy until interest on the debt equals 100% of the GDP.
  8. 31 Mar '11 16:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    The funny part is that the extremist are attempting to call those who oppose them extremists.

    The Dems won't be happy until interest on the debt equals 100% of the GDP.
    I think the funny part is that you actually believe what you are saying.

    Schumer an extremist? Hilarity.
  9. 31 Mar '11 17:26
    I must say I am shocked and appalled by politicians using exaggeration in their rhetoric. Shocked and appalled.
  10. 31 Mar '11 19:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I think the funny part is that you actually believe what you are saying.

    Schumer an extremist? Hilarity.
    So you don't find the deficits exteme? Do you buy into the Dick Cheney Docrtrine that deficits don't matter?
  11. 31 Mar '11 19:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    So you don't find the deficits exteme? Do you buy into the Dick Cheney Docrtrine that deficits don't matter?
    So yo you don't find the deficits exteme?

    HUH!!?? I said that the idea that Chuck Schumer is an extremist is ridiculous. Try responding to things I actually do say, please.
  12. 31 Mar '11 19:52
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    So yo you don't find the deficits exteme?

    HUH!!?? I said that the idea that Chuck Schumer is an extremist is ridiculous. Try responding to things I actually do say, please.
    But he is defending the notion that the deficits are not exterme. Otherwise he would see they need to be reduced. Instead, he is trying to paint those who want them reduced as extreme.
  13. 31 Mar '11 19:59
    Originally posted by whodey
    But he is defending the notion that the deficits are not exterme. Otherwise he would see they need to be reduced. Instead, he is trying to paint those who want them reduced as extreme.
    But he is defending the notion that the deficits are not exterme.

    Even if he was (I haven't seen the whole article), that doesn't make him an extremist.

    Instead, he is trying to paint those who want them reduced as extreme

    Welcome to politics!!!!
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    31 Mar '11 20:06
    Both parties had better be careful about shutting down the government.

    People might, just might, come to think "Hmmm... do we really miss it?"
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    31 Mar '11 21:15
    Originally posted by sh76
    Both parties had better be careful about shutting down the government.

    People might, just might, come to think "Hmmm... do we really miss it?"
    I was about to retort but you mean the Federal government I'm sure. Most of the important stuff does get done by the States.