Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 10 Nov '13 00:09
    I recently bought a 1968 Kaiser deuse and a half. For those that do not know what that is, go to youtube and type in M35a2. My uses for it are to be storage and hauling of a Polaris RZR and Suzuki king quad. The garage is too full and I want to use the deuse for storage. My work schedule gives me many days off in a row after a long hectic work hitch. I am thinking of using the deuse for firewood cutting on the side. An enclosed trailer for hauling and storage would have cost the same so I chose the M35.

I will be driving it at most 3000 miles per year. It will get 8 to 10 miles per gallon using diesel. Its multifuel engine can use gasoline, diesel, vegetable oil, used cooking oils, jet fuel, used motor oil, and just about anything that burns. With all that said, am I irresponsible to the environment, or should a deuse be like guns, and everyone should have at least 1?
  2. 10 Nov '13 00:42
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I recently bought a 1968 Kaiser deuse and a half. For those that do not know what that is, go to youtube and type in M35a2. My uses for it are to be storage and hauling of a Polaris RZR and Suzuki king quad. The garage is too full and I want to use the deuse for storage. My work schedule gives me many days off in a row after a long hectic work hitch. I am ...[text shortened]... onsible to the environment, or should a deuse be like guns, and everyone should have at least 1?
    I used to drive the deuce and a half's 40+ years ago in the Army. Hated them. Kaiser went out of business around 1954 or so, how'd you manage to find one made in 1968?
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    10 Nov '13 01:03 / 1 edit
    'Kaiser' is 'Caesar' spelled in a German accent.
  4. 10 Nov '13 01:26
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    'Kaiser' is 'Caesar' spelled in a German accent.
    Best estimate is that the Romans said KYE-sahr.

http://www.ai.uga.edu/mc/latinpro.pdf

This pdf also briefly discusses how we know how they pronounced it.
  5. 10 Nov '13 01:30
    I recently bought a 1968 Kaiser deuse and a half. For those that do not know what that is, go to youtube and type in M35a2. My uses for it are to be storage and hauling of a Polaris RZR and Suzuki king quad. The garage is too full and I want to use the deuse for storage. My work schedule gives me many days off in a row after a long hectic work hitch. I am ...[text shortened]... onsible to the environment, or should a deuse be like guns, and everyone should have at least 1?
    I am wondering how to chop wood with it.
  6. 10 Nov '13 03:46
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    I used to drive the deuce and a half's 40+ years ago in the Army. Hated them. Kaiser went out of business around 1954 or so, how'd you manage to find one made in 1968?
    Its a kaiser jeep deuse.
  7. 10 Nov '13 03:54
    Originally posted by JS357
    I am wondering how to chop wood with it.
    Funny you mention it. This truck has been equipped with a 24 volt electric over hydraulic dump bed system. I was seriously thinking of getting a trailer that would have a hydraulic ram wood splitter and use the dump bed hydraulics to power it. When I mentioned cutting firewood I meant take it on the mountain and use it for hauling the wood. There is a practical use for it besides it being a red neck toy hauler. There are so many of these trucks available as the military is getting rid of them. What do you think about the issue of environment friendliness? This truck was produced for several decades with only minor changes. It must be pretty reliable.
  8. 10 Nov '13 05:44
    Funny you mention it. This truck has been equipped with a 24 volt electric over hydraulic dump bed system. I was seriously thinking of getting a trailer that would have a hydraulic ram wood splitter and use the dump bed hydraulics to power it. When I mentioned cutting firewood I meant take it on the mountain and use it for hauling the wood. There is a pra ...[text shortened]... This truck was produced for several decades with only minor changes. It must be pretty reliable.
    Sure. I have a 1989 Volvo 240 that gets 22 mpg and refuses to die at 260,000 miles (I have another, a 1996 Lexus that gets 29 mpg at 190,000 miles). My neighbor has a Prius. Neither of us puts much mileage on them, but his buying a Prius means Toyota gets to sell a Sequoia that goes to the cabin at Tahoe once a month and Toyota still meets their CAFE standards. So, enjoy your low mileage toy storage/towing/wood splitting vehicle. Not that I believe you for a minute, but if I did, that's what I'd say. The question is, do you believe any of the above?
  9. 10 Nov '13 08:34
    The environmental damage caused by burning fuel, or at least an estimate thereof, should be priced into the petrol tax.
  10. 10 Nov '13 11:31
    Sure. I have a 1989 Volvo 240 that gets 22 mpg and refuses to die at 260,000 miles (I have another, a 1996 Lexus that gets 29 mpg at 190,000 miles). My neighbor has a Prius. Neither of us puts much mileage on them, but his buying a Prius means Toyota gets to sell a Sequoia that goes to the cabin at Tahoe once a month and Toyota still meets their CAFE standard ...[text shortened]... r a minute, but if I did, that's what I'd say. The question is, do you believe any of the above?
    Yes I believe you but I also have an 03 Ford Taurus that gets 30 mpg. Why do you not believe? Just curious.
  11. 10 Nov '13 11:33
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The environmental damage caused by burning fuel, or at least an estimate thereof, should be priced into the petrol tax.
    If I pay more tax for the fuel then how does that help the ecology? I would only drive it when I need it anyway.
  12. 10 Nov '13 11:39
    If I pay more tax for the fuel then how does that help the ecology? I would only drive it when I need it anyway.
    It would help in the sense that people on average would use less fuel, hence there will be less environmental damage. Furthermore, it gives manufacturers an extra incentive to produce fuel-efficient vehicles, since demand for such vehicles will be higher. European cars tend to be more fuel-efficient than American ones precisely because of this reason.
  13. 10 Nov '13 12:08
    Yes I believe you but I also have an 03 Ford Taurus that gets 30 mpg. Why do you not believe? Just curious.
    I have no reason to believe; so I take it as a hypothetical.
  14. 10 Nov '13 12:32
    I have no reason to believe; so I take it as a hypothetical.
    It is true. Some interesting issues can come from it such as what Kazet mentioned about taxes. I do not believe that the co2 levels will do squat for the global warming scam, but I do believe in acid rain based on personal observations. Considering the truck would be used only when needed, then what are your ecological thoughts?
  15. 10 Nov '13 12:41 / 1 edit
    It is true. Some interesting issues can come from it such as what Kazet mentioned about taxes. I do not believe that the co2 levels will do squat for the global warming scam, but I do believe in acid rain based on personal observations. Considering the truck would be used only when needed, then what are your ecological thoughts?
    What would it and the toys stored on it be "needed" for -- taking life saving medical supplies to Guatemala?