Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Mar '12 03:07
    Chris Matthews and Al Sharpton and ripping Romney's speech and going back and forth about how Romney is talking about Obama as though he's an outsider and they're using words to describe how Romney is talking about the President - outsider, non-American blah blah blah...

    Then Mathews throws out the word "interloper" and Sharpton starts to say "yeah..." but then he stops and his face just drops. They then cut away to Rachel Maddow and she changes the subject.

    Uh, Chris...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Sharpton#Freddie.27s_Fashion_Mart

    LMAO.

    That was classic.

  2. 07 Mar '12 03:51
    That was your triumphant gotcha?
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Mar '12 04:09
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    That was your triumphant gotcha?
    No, it was a funny moment.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    07 Mar '12 04:14
    Originally posted by sh76
    No, it was a funny moment.
    I take it Sharpton has called Obama an "interloper" at some point in the past?
  5. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    07 Mar '12 05:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    I take it Sharpton has called Obama an "interloper" at some point in the past?
    From Wikipedia:

    In 1995, a black Pentecostal Church, the United House of Prayer, which owned a retail property on 125th Street, asked Fred Harari, a Jewish tenant who operated Freddie's Fashion Mart, to evict his longtime subtenant, a black-owned record store called The Record Shack. Sharpton led a protest in Harlem against the planned eviction of The Record Shack.[35][36][37] Sharpton told the protesters, "We will not stand by and allow them to move this brother so that some white interloper can expand his business."[38]

    On December 8, 1995, Roland J. Smith Jr., one of the protesters, entered Harari's store with a gun and flammable liquid, shot several customers and set the store on fire. The gunman fatally shot himself, and seven store employees died of smoke inhalation.[39][40] Fire Department officials discovered that the store's sprinkler had been shut down, in violation of the local fire code.[41] Sharpton claimed that the perpetrator was an open critic of himself and his nonviolent tactics. Sharpton later expressed regret for making the racial remark, "white interloper," and denied responsibility for inflaming or provoking the violence.
  6. 07 Mar '12 13:53
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    From Wikipedia:

    In 1995, a black Pentecostal Church, the United House of Prayer, which owned a retail property on 125th Street, asked Fred Harari, a Jewish tenant who operated Freddie's Fashion Mart, to evict his longtime subtenant, a black-owned record store called The Record Shack. Sharpton led a protest in Harlem against the planned eviction of Th ...[text shortened]... e interloper,"
    and denied responsibility for inflaming or provoking the violence.[/b]
    So, not nearly as bad as calling one of my female relatives a "slut."
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Mar '12 14:46
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    So, not nearly as bad as calling one of my female relatives a "slut."
    No, I think that inciting a mass murder/suicide is a little worse than calling someone a not nice name, your relative or no.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Mar '12 14:58
    RCP picked up the story.

    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/03/07/chris_matthews_to_al_sharpton_the_right_thinks_obama_is_an_interloper.html

    If you play it in slow motion or pause it at the right moment, you can catch the split second when the comprehension of the significance of the word dawns on Sharpton after the first fraction of a second when he said "right."

    100 bucks says someone yelled at Mathews backstage after that one. I wouldn't be totally shocked if Sharpton had a nasty word or two for Chris after the show.

    Definitely not a thrill up the leg moment for CM.
  9. 07 Mar '12 15:07
    Originally posted by sh76
    RCP picked up the story.

    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/03/07/chris_matthews_to_al_sharpton_the_right_thinks_obama_is_an_interloper.html

    If you play it in slow motion or pause it at the right moment, you can catch the split second when the comprehension of the significance of the word dawns on Sharpton after the first fraction of a second whe ...[text shortened]... ty word or two for Chris after the show.

    Definitely not a thrill up the leg moment for CM.
    Honestly, to expect Matthews to remember every incendiary thing people have said that led to violence is not really fair.
  10. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Mar '12 15:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Honestly, to expect Matthews to remember every incendiary thing people have said that led to violence is not really fair.
    Sharpton's career is forever linked with that comment. I picked up on it in a millisecond. Most New Yorkers who are old enough to remember the Freddie's Fashion Mart fire would as well.

    A guy who is consistently working on the same panel with him has to know a little more than that.
  11. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    07 Mar '12 15:44
    Originally posted by sh76
    Sharpton's career is forever linked with that comment. I picked up on it in a millisecond. Most New Yorkers who are old enough to remember the Freddie's Fashion Mart fire would as well.

    A guy who is consistently working on the same panel with him has to know a little more than that.
    Proving that 'all politics is local'? I'm guessing nobody outside of NYC would have linked that word to Sharpton -- until now!
  12. 07 Mar '12 17:04
    Originally posted by sh76
    Sharpton's career is forever linked with that comment. I picked up on it in a millisecond. Most New Yorkers who are old enough to remember the Freddie's Fashion Mart fire would as well.

    A guy who is consistently working on the same panel with him has to know a little more than that.
    Is Matthews a new yorker? I hadn't ever heard of this until this morning. I do find it funny, don't get me wrong. I can only hope that Matthews was doing it on purpose to get under Sharpton's skin. That would make it funnier still.
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Mar '12 17:13
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Is Matthews a new yorker? I hadn't ever heard of this until this morning. I do find it funny, don't get me wrong. I can only hope that Matthews was doing it on purpose to get under Sharpton's skin. That would make it funnier still.
    Matthews is from PA, I believe.

    But if you're gonna be working with a guy, I think the least you can do is read his Wikipedia page.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    07 Mar '12 19:26
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    From Wikipedia:

    In 1995, a black Pentecostal Church, the United House of Prayer, which owned a retail property on 125th Street, asked Fred Harari, a Jewish tenant who operated Freddie's Fashion Mart, to evict his longtime subtenant, a black-owned record store called The Record Shack. Sharpton led a protest in Harlem against the planned eviction of Th ...[text shortened]... e interloper,"
    and denied responsibility for inflaming or provoking the violence.[/b]
    To blame Sharpton FOR that is even more ridiculous than most of the absurd claims made by right wingers here.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    07 Mar '12 19:41
    Originally posted by sh76
    No, I think that inciting a mass murder/suicide is a little worse than calling someone a not nice name, your relative or no.
    "Inciting" is an absurd claim and I think you know it.

    Sharpton's a little too uppity for white Republicans (which is just about all Republicans) but really such a characterization is too much.