Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Feb '17 16:07 / 2 edits
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/europes-border-crisis/majority-leading-eu-nations-support-trump-style-travel-ban-poll-n718271

An average of 55 percent of those surveyed for London-based think tank, Chatham House, agreed that immigration from Muslim-majority countries should be halted.

-snip-

Majorities in all but two of the 10 countries polled supported a ban, ranging from 71 percent in Poland, to 53 percent in Germany, 47 percent in the United Kingdom and 41 percent in Spain. In no country did the percentage that disagreed surpass 32 percent.

Chatham House called the findings "striking and sobering" and said in a news release that the figures "suggest that public opposition to further migration from predominantly Muslim states is by no means confined to Trump's electorate."

The poll, carried out before President Trump took office and implemented his executive order on immigration, also found that the issue crossed the political spectrum — three-quarters of respondents in support of a ban self-classified as right-wing and more than a third said they were left-leaning.

The poll's question was :

'All further migration from mainly Muslim countries should be stopped'

In every surveyed country, "agree" outpaced "disagree" and "agree" achieved an outright majority (among the 3 choices of "agree," "disagree" and "neither" ) in most countries and in the survey as a whole.

If those UK politicians still want to ban Trump from the country, perhaps they should also ban 47% of their own citizens.

Edit: The original source:

https://www.chathamhouse.org/expert/comment/what-do-europeans-think-about-muslim-immigration
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Feb '17 16:24
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/europes-border-crisis/majority-leading-eu-nations-support-trump-style-travel-ban-poll-n718271

[quote]An average of 55 percent of those surveyed for London-based think tank, Chatham House, agreed that immigration from Muslim-majority countries should be halted.

-snip-

Majorities in all but two of the 10 countries polled ...[text shortened]...

https://www.chathamhouse.org/expert/comment/what-do-europeans-think-about-muslim-immigration
    This is interesting:

It is also true that people in Europe vastly overestimate the number of Muslims living in their countries. An IpsosMORI poll in autumn 2016 found that public estimates of Muslim populations were more than four times the actual level in France, and three times higher than the actual figure in the UK.

I wonder if people had more accurate information whether it would affect such results.
  3. 12 Feb '17 16:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    This is interesting:

It is also true that people in Europe vastly overestimate the number of Muslims living in their countries. An IpsosMORI poll in autumn 2016 found that public estimates of Muslim populations were more than four times the actual level in France, and three times higher than the actual figure in the UK.

I wonder if people had more accurate information whether it would affect such results.
    Indeed once they learned of the tenets embodied in Islam I think the objections would shoot up to around 90 percent for an immediate lock down.
  4. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    12 Feb '17 16:57

[quote]An average of 55 percent of those surveyed for London-based think tank, Chatham House, agreed that immigration from Muslim-majority countries should be halted.

-snip-

Majorities in all but two of the 10 countries polled ...[text shortened]...

3/4's were right-wing
    1/3 were left-wing.

75% + 33% =

Well, besides that, is anyone really surprised that Europeans are bumgrapes when it comes to Johnny-foreigner?
  5. 12 Feb '17 16:59
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Indeed once they learned of the tenets embodied in Islam I think the objections would shoot up to around 90 percent for an immediate lock down.
    So you are sating that Europeans embraced Muslims out of ignorance. Europeans are simply uneducated when it comes to Islam?
  6. 12 Feb '17 17:09
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    3/4's were right-wing
    1/3 were left-wing.

75% + 33% =

Well, besides that, is anyone really surprised that Europeans are bumgrapes when it comes to Johnny-foreigner?
    More likely, 3/4 of right wing were for the ban, 1/3 of left wing were for the ban.
  7. 12 Feb '17 17:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    So you are sating that Europeans embraced Muslims out of ignorance. Europeans are simply uneducated when it comes to Islam?
    No I have not said that at all but I think its correct yes, they are essentially ignorant not only about the teachings of Islam, but of most religions. Its not limited to Europe either. Americans cannot tell the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim.
  8. 12 Feb '17 17:17
    BREAKING NEWS: idiots found all over the globe.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Feb '17 17:20
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    BREAKING NEWS: idiots found all over the globe.
    Dismissing 55% of people as "idiots" without bothering to try to understand why 55% of your fellow Europeans disagree with you is ineffective at best, misanthropic at worst.
  10. 12 Feb '17 17:26
    Dismissing 55% of people as "idiots" without bothering to try to understand why 55% of your fellow Europeans disagree with you is ineffective at best, misanthropic at worst.
    It is typical among leftists to view those who disagree with to be subhuman.

Hillary used the term deplorables.
  11. 12 Feb '17 17:54
    I understand why - they're small-minded bigots. People are born with a distrust of people from other clans, and it takes some education for people to start questioning these instincts.
  12. 12 Feb '17 18:05
    I understand why - they're small-minded bigots. People are born with a distrust of people from other clans, and it takes some education for people to start questioning these instincts.
    So people who do not appreciate sharia law being added to their culture are simply small minded.
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Feb '17 18:10
    I thought Euros were, on average, better educated than Americans. Yet, Trump's idea of a Muslim ban draws much less support in the US than this poll indicates a similar ban would in Europe.
  14. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    12 Feb '17 18:35
    The sad truth is that Europe needs a culling. And we're heading for one.

Just too many bumgrapes to have wondering around, poluting the planet with their mad right-wing fears and hatreds.
  15. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    12 Feb '17 18:40
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I thought Euros were, on average, better educated than Americans. Yet, Trump's idea of a Muslim ban draws much less support in the US than this poll indicates a similar ban would in Europe.
    Did you float down the Rhine on a banana biscuit?

Just because we don't have trailer-trash, doesn't mean the majority are enlightened (look at Brexit, Le Pen, Wilders) or educated.

Seriously, we don't have red necks because we don't have sunny weather (Western Europe wallows in perpetual Autumn) and we don't have trailer parks because we have council estates.