Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member vivify
    rain
    09 Apr '16 05:06 / 1 edit
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/04/07/sources-espn-indeed-told-bomani-jones-to-cover-his-cleveland-caucasians-shirt/

A sorts journalist on ESPN wore a "Caucasians" shirt in the same style as the Cleveland Indians logo on TV, which angered many people.

“It’s just like the Cleveland Indians shirt, exactly the same as the Cleveland Indians shirt with just one small change. That’s it.”

“The reason they won’t get rid of Chief Wahoo — it’s completely indefensible — is because they can still sell stuff with it,” Jones added. “They can say they’re going to deemphasize it, but they’re not going to set money on fire.”

“If you’re quiet about the Indians and now you’ve got something to say about my shirt, I think it’s time for introspection.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/twitter-erupts-after-espn-host-wears-caucasians-shirt-to-call-out-cleveland-indians-logo/
  2. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    09 Apr '16 05:22
    Originally posted by vivify
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/04/07/sources-espn-indeed-told-bomani-jones-to-cover-his-cleveland-caucasians-shirt/

A sorts journalist on ESPN wore a "Caucasians" shirt in the same style as the Cleveland Indians logo on TV, which angered many people.

“It’s just like the Cleveland Indians shirt, exactly the same as the Cleveland ...[text shortened]... 016/04/twitter-erupts-after-espn-host-wears-caucasians-shirt-to-call-out-cleveland-indians-logo/
    Awesome, where can I get one?
  3. 09 Apr '16 10:29

“It’s just like the Cleveland Indians shirt, exactly the same as the Cleveland ...[text shortened]... 016/04/twitter-erupts-after-espn-host-wears-caucasians-shirt-to-call-out-cleveland-indians-logo/
    Who got mad?
    Not any caucasians I bet.
  4. 09 Apr '16 18:46

I was living in Cleveland when this first came up years ago. Nearly everyone thought it was a tempest in a teapot. I don't know any native american who is offended by Chief Yahoo's image.
  5. 09 Apr '16 18:48

By the way, Bomani Jones is a relatively failed syndicated broadcaster, who relies on stirring up trouble.
  6. 09 Apr '16 19:30 / 1 edit
    "I know how to use a dagger. I was born in the Caucasus."
    --Alexander Pushkin

P.S. Some ethnocentric Westerners seem to be completely ignorant of the history of
    conflicts in the Caucasus and the classic Russian literature set in the Caucasus.
    Have any Westerners here even heard of Mikhail Lermontov?
  7. 10 Apr '16 12:34
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    --Alexander Pushkin

P.S. Some ethnocentric Westerners seem to be completely ignorant of the history of
    conflicts in the Caucasus and the classic Russian literature set in the Caucasus.
    Was he the one that used Molotov cocktails made from lemons ?
  8. 11 Apr '16 01:08
    --Alexander Pushkin

Lots of people, for lots of reasons, are either ignorant of history, or have distorted views to support their ideologies. Almost everyone is more tuned in on history of their own country or of neighboring ones.
  9. 11 Apr '16 01:40 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Lots of people, for lots of reasons, are either ignorant of history, or have distorted views to support their ideologies.
    Almost everyone is more tuned in on history of their own country or of neighboring ones.
    "..ignorant of history, or have distorted views to support their ideologies."
    --Normbenign

Normbenign should look in the mirror when he practices saying that.
  10. 11 Apr '16 21:57
    "..ignorant of history, or have distorted views to support their ideologies."
    --Normbenign

Normbenign should look in the mirror when he practices saying that.
    You are a dolt. I have not illusions about how my ideas are formed. Instead of accusing ignorance, you might try actually citing some history to better inform me and the rest of the forum. That you don't is telling evidence.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Apr '16 01:29

Jones' point is completely valid.

I assume, also, that he won't complain when people start showing up with Atlanta Negroes tee-shirts.
  12. Standard member vivify
    rain
    12 Apr '16 01:41
    Originally posted by sh76
    Jones' point is completely valid.

I assume, also, that he won't complain when people start showing up with Atlanta Negroes tee-shirts.
    I think he'd have a problem with that, but that's the point: that such logos can be offensive.
  13. 12 Apr '16 02:40 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by normbenign
    You are a dolt. I have not illusions about how my ideas are formed. Instead of accusing ignorance, you might try actually citing
    some history to better inform me and the rest of the forum. That you don't is telling evidence.
    The fanatical neo-Confederate Normbenign (who denies that slavery was the main reason
    for the CSA's illegal secession) keeps showing that he's willfully blind to historical evidence.

By the way, Sh76 recently has thanked me for my contributions to his knowledge of history.
    But Normbenign, of course, prefers to keep sneering and hurling more insults at me.
  14. 13 Apr '16 00:16
    The fanatical neo-Confederate Normbenign (who denies that slavery was the main reason
    for the CSA's illegal secession) keeps showing that he's willfully blind to historical evidence.

By the way, Sh76 recently has thanked me for my contributions to his knowledge of history.
    But Normbenign, of course, prefers to keep sneering and hurling more insults at me.
    You've contributed to my knowledge of history too. Your claims forced me to do research, which enhanced my knowledge and positions.

Tell me now, how was the CSA's secession more illegal than the Union's from Britain? Do any people have a right to self determination in government?
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    13 Apr '16 18:13 / 1 edit
    I think he'd have a problem with that, but that's the point: that such logos can be offensive.
    It's very easy to make a rhetorical point when you're making fun of the other guy.

There we have a black guy pointing out how wrong making fun of Native Americans is by making fun of white people.

He would have made a stronger rhetorical point if he had pointed out how wrong making fun of Native Americans is by making fun of black people.

If he were Native American, then I'd say his point would be equally strong whether making fun of white or black people.