Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 13 Nov '16 18:36
    Clinton vote lead is nearly at 2 million and growing. We really need to stop referring to it as "the popular vote." Say it after me: "Her lead is growing with THE VOTE."

    Seven million votes to be counted, with four million in California where Clinton won by a 2 to 1 margin.

    Electoral college reform anyone? I don't necessarily advocate scrapping the whole system, but proportionate allocation seems much more fair. Plus, the campaign's focus would be on more than just a dozen states.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/democrats-popular-vote-presidential_us_582246c4e4b0aac62487dde9
  2. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    13 Nov '16 18:53
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Clinton vote lead is nearly at 2 million and growing. We really need to stop referring to it as "the popular vote." Say it after me: "Her lead is growing with THE VOTE."

    Seven million votes to be counted, with four million in California where Clinton won by a 2 to 1 margin.

    Electoral college reform anyone? I don't necessarily advocate scrapping the who ...[text shortened]... p://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/democrats-popular-vote-presidential_us_582246c4e4b0aac62487dde9
    They should count all votes including the absentee votes.
  3. 13 Nov '16 18:56
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    I don't necessarily advocate scrapping the whole system [...]
    Why not? It's a stupid system, why keep it? The president is the president of all Americans and they should have an equal say in who will be the next one.
  4. 13 Nov '16 20:38 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra to Kunsoo
    Why not? It's a stupid system, why keep it? The president is the president
    of all Americans and they should have an equal say in who will be the next one.
    "It's a stupid system, why keep it?"
    --KazetNagorra (to Kunsoo)

    Almost all Americans (at least white men) are 'brainwashed' into believing that the original
    US Constitution's a sacred text that was essentially perfect. So many Americans seem
    very afraid to criticize the US Constitution or the sainted Founding Fathers (all white men).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow's_impossibiity_theorem

    No voting system can be perfectly fair (under Kenneth Arrow's conditions).
    But mathematicians concur that the US electoral system is among the least fair systems.
  5. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    13 Nov '16 21:11
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "It's a stupid system, why keep it?"
    --KazetNagorra (to Kunsoo)

    Almost all Americans (at least white men) are 'brainwashed' into believing that the original
    US Constitution's a sacred text that was essentially perfect. So many Americans seem
    very afraid to criticize the US Constitution or the sainted Founding Fathers (all white men).

    http://en. ...[text shortened]... tions).
    But mathematicians concur that the US electoral system is among the least fair systems.
    If I don't know any better, I'd say you've got some kind of a weird hard on for white men.
    Maybe it's just me.
    Anyone else picking up that vibe?
  6. 13 Nov '16 21:24
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    If I don't know any better, I'd say you've got some kind of a weird hard on for white men.
    Maybe it's just me.
    Anyone else picking up that vibe?
    The idiotic troll FreakyKBH fails to comprehend that, when the 'sacred text' of the original
    US Constitution was approved, it gave the right to vote to white men--not women,
    not 'Indians', not blacks (with a few possible exceptions in some local elections).
    The majority of the population was disenfranchised.

    I suspect that some racist, sexist right-wing white American men would prefer that the
    United States today allow only white men to vote or hold public office.

    '
  7. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    13 Nov '16 22:59
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    The idiotic troll FreakyKBH fails to comprehend that, when the 'sacred text' of the original
    US Constitution was approved, it gave the right to vote to white men--not women,
    not 'Indians', not blacks (with a few possible exceptions in some local elections).
    The majority of the population was disenfranchised.

    I suspect that some racist, sexist right- ...[text shortened]... ld prefer that the
    United States today allow only white men to vote or hold public office.

    '
    Here's what is so rich, so ironic about your imbecilic rantings.
    You literally have no idea why women were not allowed to vote.
    You are clueless why the first draft of the Constitution has it as "life, liberty and the pursuit of land."
    These things are lost on you because you see ancient boundaries as trivially cliché, meant to be moved as opposed to meaningful, meant to be considered.

    You are the poster child for everything that is wrong in today's politically correct world.

    Sad.
  8. 13 Nov '16 23:23
    It looks like Trump will win with 305 electoral votes.

    People who think the election should be decided by populat vote do not understand what the USA was meant to be, a Repuplic created by United States. The electoral college was meant to give smaller regions of the country a bigger voice by way of the Senate.

    Europeans and other central government dominated societies just don't get it.
  9. Standard member vivify
    rain
    13 Nov '16 23:37
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It looks like Trump will win with 305 electoral votes.

    People who think the election should be decided by populat vote do not understand what the USA was meant to be, a Repuplic created by United States. The electoral college was meant to give smaller regions of the country a bigger voice by way of the Senate.

    Europeans and other central government dominated societies just don't get it.
    You don't need the EC to have the Senate.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    14 Nov '16 01:53
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It looks like Trump will win with 305 electoral votes.

    People who think the election should be decided by populat vote do not understand what the USA was meant to be, a Repuplic created by United States. The electoral college was meant to give smaller regions of the country a bigger voice by way of the Senate.

    Europeans and other central government dominated societies just don't get it.
    If's that what the Founders wanted they could have stuck with the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union. The Constitution was a vast expansion of central government power.

    If you read the debates of the Constitutional Convention, you'll find that the process for electing a President was hotly disputed and no method could garner majority votes (a popular vote was not even discussed as the technology of the time made it impracticable). The EC emerged as a compromise from a committee and was ratified late in the Convention when the delegates were anxious to wrap up the proceedings. There is scant evidence that the majority of the Framers though the Electoral College was a critical and/or necessary part of the Constitutional scheme.

    The EC should have been abolished long ago.
  11. 14 Nov '16 02:15
    Originally posted by vivify
    You don't need the EC to have the Senate.
    You do if you want the smaller states to have a larger voice when it comes to the Presidency.
  12. 14 Nov '16 02:18
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If's that what the Founders wanted they could have stuck with the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union. The Constitution was a vast expansion of central government power.

    If you read the debates of the Constitutional Convention, you'll find that the process for electing a President was hotly disputed and no method could garner majority votes ...[text shortened]... d/or necessary part of the Constitutional scheme.

    The EC should have been abolished long ago.
    Your answer is to do away with the compromise so you can have your way. Typical libtard.
  13. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    14 Nov '16 04:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Clinton vote lead is nearly at 2 million and growing. We really need to stop referring to it as "the popular vote." Say it after me: "Her lead is growing with THE VOTE."

    Seven million votes to be counted, with four million in California where Clinton won by a 2 to 1 margin.

    Electoral college reform anyone? I don't necessarily advocate scrapping the who ...[text shortened]... p://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/democrats-popular-vote-presidential_us_582246c4e4b0aac62487dde9
    I understand your point, but you're going to have to accept the fact that ITS OVER. The electoral college is a very long standing tradition, and the chances of it being overturned are dim. Time to move on.
  14. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    14 Nov '16 04:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "It's a stupid system, why keep it?"
    --KazetNagorra (to Kunsoo)

    Almost all Americans (at least white men) are 'brainwashed' into believing that the original
    US Constitution's a sacred text that was essentially perfect. So many Americans seem
    very afraid to criticize the US Constitution or the sainted Founding Fathers (all white men).

    http://en. ...[text shortened]... tions).
    But mathematicians concur that the US electoral system is among the least fair systems.
    Almost all Americans (at least white men) are 'brainwashed' into believing that the original
    US Constitution's a sacred text that was essentially perfect.


    Once again, Duchess reminds us that the white man IS the enemy!
  15. 14 Nov '16 04:10
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Here's what is so rich, so ironic about your imbecilic rantings.
    You literally have no idea why women were not allowed to vote.
    You are clueless why the first draft of the Constitution has it as "life, liberty and the pursuit of land."
    These things are lost on you because you see ancient boundaries as trivially cliché, meant to be moved as opposed to me ...[text shortened]... are the poster child for everything that is wrong in today's politically correct world.

    Sad.
    Does it matter why women weren't allowed to vote?

    And I absolutely understand why the first draft of the Constitution refers to the pursuit of land. There's no mitigation, even for the time.