Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    13 Jun '11 21:03 / 1 edit
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/12/cnn.debate.preview/index.html?hpt=po_t2

Anybody planning to watch? Any predictions/comments?

In attendance: Romney, Cain, Bachmann, Paul, Pawlenty, Santorum, and Gingrich.
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    13 Jun '11 21:14 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by wittywonka

Ron Paul will not be aggressive, but will stick to his principles no matter what. Somebody will try to discredit Romney by hinting at polygamy in the Mormon Church. Cain will be enthusiastic and use lots of buzzwords but won't have much depth of insight. Pawlenty will betray his status as a capitalist minion by working to make ownership of capital more profitable via low taxes. Gingrich will put on a sensationalist show but have little of interest to say, but he'll be aggressive.

I don't remember much about Rick Santorum other than somebody was recently talking him up. I don't know anything about Bachmann other than his name reminds me of Bowmann.

Somebody will accuse Ron Paul of being a RINO.
  3. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    13 Jun '11 21:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I don't know anything about Bachmann other than his name reminds me of Bowmann.
    Bachmann's a "she."

She's probably somewhere between Palin and Santorum with respect to her views.
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    13 Jun '11 21:20
    Sanctorum had the social conservative emphasis right?
  5. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    13 Jun '11 21:23
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Sanctorum had the social conservative emphasis right?
    Very much so. He's the poster-child for opposition to gay marriage.
  6. 13 Jun '11 21:44

My prediction: They're all going to try to best each other with Obama bashing rhetoric.
  7. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    13 Jun '11 22:07 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    My prediction: They're all going to try to best each other with Obama bashing rhetoric.
    And on tax cuts, I expect some good old "Mine is bigger than yours" smack talk.
  8. 13 Jun '11 22:30
    Which of course is pure insanity.

We have record deficits and the lowest taxes since the 1950's. Yep, let's cut unemployment benefits, social security and replace Medicare with a coupon program...... so we can further give tax cuts to the wealthy.
  9. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    13 Jun '11 22:35
    Watching CNN just now, I see that Robert Gibbs is attending as an analyst.

While I think it'll be good to have an alternative perspective post-debate, I can't
    help but find the perceived necessity of his presence somewhat funny.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    14 Jun '11 00:36 / 1 edit
    You'd have more chance of getting any useful ideas from a troop of Tanzanian baboons than this collection of ideologues and misfits.

EDIT: This was a great moment from the Republican debates in the last Presidential election cycle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Cc8t3Zd5E

3 Republican candidates raised their hands to indicate that they don't believe in evolution. Ron Paul later clarified that he didn't accept it either.
  11. 14 Jun '11 00:41
    No, thats the Anthoney Wiener defense.
  12. 14 Jun '11 00:55
    will i watch the usual suspects? nah, already seen it.
  13. 14 Jun '11 01:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You'd have more chance of getting any useful ideas from a troop of Tanzanian baboons than this collection of ideologues and misfits.

EDIT: This was a great moment from the Republican debates in the last Presidential election cycle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Cc8t3Zd5E

3 Republican candidates raised their hands to indicate that they don't believe in evolution. Ron Paul later clarified that he didn't accept it either.
    What's worse, not believing in evolution or not beleiving your self appointed Congressoinal committee who studied the nations debt? So first you appoint your own "experts" and then ignore their findings and suggestions? Hmmm.
  14. 14 Jun '11 01:45

Personally, I think it is Romney's race unless the others can take him down. He is the standard typical Rhino.

Of course, his weak spot is Romney care. It's vital that the others bring it up and discuss its failures. Then for good measure, compare it to Obamacare.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    14 Jun '11 01:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    What's worse, not believing in evolution or not beleiving your self appointed Congressoinal committee who studied the nations debt? So first you appoint your own "experts" and then ignore their findings and suggestions? Hmmm.
    The one the Republicans insisted on but then voted against having an up or down vote on its recommendations? That one?

A grown man who seriously would say "I don't believe in evolution" is unqualified to be President.