Debates 10 Mar '19 04:11
  1. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 04:11
    Poor Will Smith. Just not black enough.
    Maybe he should shoe polish his face?

Or just get Robert Downey Jr. to play the part? He was excellent in Tropic Thunder, and plays a black man better than any Australian, playing a white American actor, playing a black man has ever played before.

Now, don't get me wrong. I understand the whole race-sensitivity thing in the US. Treated unfairly, a rather horrific past, discrimination. Sort of like being Irish Catholic.
    You just don't see as many people whining if a Scottish protestant with black hair plays an Irish Catholic guy with ginger hair (or vice-versa).

I guess the question I should ask myself is: Would I mind Idris Elba playing the part of William Wallace?
    And the answer is yes. Yes, I would. He doesn't have that core wildness for the role.
    So, I should probably have asked myself: Would I mind Samuel L. Jackson playing the part of William Wallace?
    And the answer is: PLEASE!!! God damn, how cool would that be? I can imagine Jackson playing many parts with great joy. Can you imagine him playing Jesus? God damn, Caiaphas would get put-down like a burger sipping druggie.

Would Jackson playing Wallace detract from the reality? Did Aussie Mad Max playing the part detract from the suspension of disbelief?
    I'm not sure. I really don't know. I can see Elba playing Bond, no problem. I can't see a woman playing Bond though, that just wouldn't make sense. A woman M was fine. A female Blowfeld, excellent.
    A woman playing Starbuck was excellent (it only took me two episodes to accept someone other than Face playing the role).

And I think that's where this all boils down to. Personal preference. I don't want anyone other than Mark Hamill playing Skywalker. Just not right. A young Han Solo could get played by someone else (and was, in my eyes quite successfully), but not Luke. That's on me.

And, personally, if a character from history had ginger hair, get someone with ginger hair (or a ginger wig, like I care?) to play the role. I don't know this tennis player's dad. He could be Inuit transgender for all I know. So, I have no problems with anybody playing that character. However, say they made a film about Obama. I'm not sure I'd like Liam Neeson playing the role...
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 04:381 edit
    @shavixmir said

Or just get Robert Downey Jr. to play the part? He was excellent in Tropic Thunder, and plays a black man better than any Australian, playing a white American actor, playing a black man has ever played before.

Now, don't get me wrong. I understand the whole race-sensitivity thing in the U ...[text shortened]... er. However, say they made a film about Obama. I'm not sure I'd like Liam Neeson playing the role...
    Well, would you accept say, Mark Harmon playing Obama then? So no shoe polish allowed?

Maybe we should make coloratura in opera illegal eh😉
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 08:16
    @shavixmir said
    A woman playing Starbuck was excellent (it only took me two episodes to accept someone other than Face playing the role).
    This is just an aside, but this woman who played Starbuck in the remade Battlestar Galactica was Katie Sackhoff. I first encountered her in the Netflix series Longmire. She was superb in this role.

The last thing she did was in 2018. A movie called 2036 Origin Unknown. I thought this movie blew chunks, but she was adequate in the role, it wasn't her fault, rather the writers who wrote this dreck of a movie.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 15:40
    @sonhouse said
    Well, would you accept say, Mark Harmon playing Obama then? So no shoe polish allowed?

Maybe we should make coloratura in opera illegal eh😉
    In theory, opera has 'color-blind' casting. In practice, it means that white performers
    are cast--often in preference to non-white performers--to play non-white characters.
    Some established non-white performers have complained of being rejected for
    white characters (for which their voices were well-suited) just because they were not white.

I am NOT claiming that non-white performers are NEVER cast as white characters.
    I have noticed black performers fairly often and even (more rarely) East Asian
    performers being cast to play white characters.

My point is that, when white people speak of the ideal of 'color-blindness', it often
    means that there's some double standard in practice privileging white people.
  5. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 17:09
    @shavixmir said

Now, don't get me wrong. I understand the whole race-sensitivity thing in the U ...[text shortened]... er. However, say they made a film about Obama. I'm not sure I'd like Liam Neeson playing the role...
    John of Arc
    Bobdecia
    Father Terrence
    Ernest Pankhurst
    Cliveopatra
    Ross Parks

All of these are totally acceptable. As is a female Dr Who.

But Bond. My name is Bond, Julie Bond.
  6. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 17:11
    Mel Gibson shouldn’t be allowed to play male or female roles; he’s a terrible actor.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Mar '19 15:231 edit
    @shavixmir

Ben Kingsley (at most half Indian) played Gandhi, Alec Guinness played Godbole (Passage to India), both well-cast roles. I don’t see why casting Will Smith as Williams is problematic.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Mar '19 15:391 edit
    @moonbus said
    @shavixmir

Ben Kingsley (at most half Indian) played Gandhi, Alec Guinness played Godbole (Passage to India), both well-cast roles. I don’t see why casting Will Smith as Williams is problematic.
    A bit of face bleach and Viola! 😉
  9. Pacific Ocean
    Moves
    12 Mar '19 14:41
    For me it's down to fact or fiction I don't care, with Fiction but Fact has to be accurate - colour, creed etc.
  10. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    13 Mar '19 19:471 edit
    @divegeester said
    John of Arc
    Bobdecia
    Father Terrence
    Ernest Pankhurst
    Cliveopatra
    Ross Parks

All of these are totally acceptable. As is a female Dr Who.

But Bond. My name is Bond, Julie Bond.
    Would Julie Bond be slut-shamed for being a sexually aggressive amoral opportunist, or simply condemned for playing a vicarious realisation of male sexual fantasies. I mean they would have to include a lesbian entanglement, wouldn't they?