Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 06 Nov '14 23:35
    Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice did an interview with “Fox and Friends” host Brian Kilmeade during which she bashed Democrat’s racial “fear-mongering” during the 2014 midterms as “insulting” and “appalling.”

The fact of the matter is, we’re not race-blind. Of course we still have racial tensions in the country. But the United States of America has made enormous progress in race relations and it is the best place on earth to be a minority. The idea that you would play such a card and try fear-mongering among minorities just because you disagree with Republicans, that they’re somehow all racist?

I find it appalling, I find it insulting, and as a Republican black woman from the South, I would say to them: really? Is that really the argument that you’re going to make in 2014? -Rice

Rice was also asked about the recent controversy over some in the black community who say successful black men and women aren’t “black enough”:

First of all, does it mean that you’re not acting black if you speak well and you’re interested in progress? What are we doing to our kids when we tell them that their ethnic identity has to make them unsuccessful? That, to me, is really a racist thing to say. And I’ve been asked many times myself, and I say, ‘Look, I’ve been black all my life. You don’t have to tell me how to be black.’

To my mind, the great thing about the United States of America is that you can be of any color, any ethnic group, any nationality, any religion and you can have dreams and aspirations that are your own and then you can pursue them. That’s when this country is about. -Rice

The debate: Personally, I believe Condi Rice is spot on and shows much wisdom in her recent statements. Agree or disagree ?

Secondly, Although she states she has no intention of doing so, IF she did run for President she would have my vote. Thoughts ?
  2. 07 Nov '14 02:43
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice did an interview with “Fox and Friends” host Brian Kilmeade during which she bashed Democrat’s racial “fear-mongering” during the 2014 midterms as “insulting” and “appalling.”

[quote]The fact of the matter is, we’re not race-blind. Of course we still have racial tensions in the country. But the United Sta ...[text shortened]... he has no intention of doing so, IF she did run for President she would have my vote. Thoughts ?
    Got my vote too.
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    07 Nov '14 03:45
    I always liked her.
  4. 09 Nov '14 18:02
    I don't know why people allow Democrats to decide who is black and who isn't.
  5. 09 Nov '14 18:18
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    I don't know why people allow Democrats to decide who is black and who isn't.
    Why? Cause if you are black and vote "R" then you are voting for "whitey racists".

Why would then not try to keep things the way they are?
  6. 09 Nov '14 18:33 / 2 edits
    How did Rice determine that the US is "the best place on earth to be a minority"?

Who is saying that "successful" black people aren't "black enough"?

What's Rice trying to say or imply with:
    "To my mind, the great thing about the United States of America is that you can be of any color, any ethnic group, any nationality, any religion and you can have dreams and aspirations that are your own and then you can pursue them. That’s when this country is about. -Rice"
    You can't pursue your "dreams and aspirations" in other countries? Rice knows that isn't true. You can pursue them better in the US than anywhere else? Rice knows that isn't true. She is shallow at best, and dishonest at worst.
  7. 09 Nov '14 21:12
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    How did Rice determine that the US is "the best place on earth to be a minority"?

"To my mind, the great thing about the United States of America is that you can be of any color, any ethnic group, any nationality, any religion and you can ...[text shortened]... than anywhere else? Rice knows that isn't true. She is shallow at best, and dishonest at worst.
    Well America used to be the greatest place to be a minority. That is, when Obama was elected in 2008 and 2012.

But as of November 2014, now they are all a bunch of racist bigots.

Disgusting.
  8. 09 Nov '14 21:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra

"To my mind, the great thing about the United States of America is that you can be of any color, any ethnic group, any nationality, any religion and you can than anywhere else? Rice knows that isn't true. She is shallow at best, and dishonest at worst.
    Condoleezza Rice's just reciting more of the usual 'the United States must
    be the greatest country in the world' in countless ways (including its
    treatment of minorities) propaganda, flattering right-wing white men.

While the US media prefers to ignore such stories, non-white immigrants
    have risen from poverty to affluence in many societies besides the USA.
    But most Americans still like to believe 'it could happen *only* in America'.
  9. 09 Nov '14 23:36
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Condoleezza Rice's just reciting more of the usual 'the United States must
    be the greatest country in the world' in countless ways (including its
    treatment of minorities) propaganda, flattering right-wing white men.

While the US media prefers to ignore such stories, non-white immigrants
    have risen from poverty to affluence in many societies besides the USA.
    But most Americans still like to believe 'it could happen *only* in America'.
    You don't think that maybe her personal background qualifies her to make a statement of the opportunities available for minority women?

Condi, and nobody else denies there are other places where minorities can thrive. We like to believe we offer the best opportunities, if only people would take advantage of them.
  10. 10 Nov '14 00:09 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    You don't think that maybe her personal background qualifies her to make a statement of the opportunities available for minority women?

Condi, and nobody else denies there are other places where minorities can thrive. We like to believe we offer the best opportunities, if only people would take advantage of them.
    Condoleezza Rice cannot speak on behalf of all 'minority women' in the USA.
    Indeed, only a small minority of 'minority women' agree with her opinions.
    Only a small minority of 'minority women' support the Republican Party.
    There are many other well-educated 'minority women' who say that the USA
    remains deeply racist and sexist, but right-wing white men (like Normbenign)
    routinely like to argue that they *don't* speak on behalf of 'minority women'.

During the apartheid era, South Africa's government liked to trot out a few
    wealthy black men who would say that the rest of the world should not
    condemn apartheid so much because South Africa's government supposedly
    was always doing its best to help all black South Africans. Only right-wing
    white people outside South Africa tended to believe such crude propaganda.
  11. 10 Nov '14 00:40
    remains deeply racist and sexist, but right-wing white men ...[text shortened]... s. Only right-wing
    No she can't speak for all minority women. But it seems strange that she speaks for so few of them, while Susan Rice seems to be more widely accepted.

Clearly, many would prefer to be victims than to make progress taking advantage of the opportunities presented by the United States. I find your notions to be more deeply racist and sexist than those of any right wing men.
  12. 10 Nov '14 05:42
    No she can't speak for all minority women. But it seems strange that she speaks for so few of them, while Susan Rice seems to be more widely accepted.

Clearly, many would prefer to be victims than to make progress taking advantage of the opportunities presented by the United States. I find your notions to be more deeply racist and sexist than those of any right wing men.
    Given that Normbenign has long shown his absolute determination to ignore
    reality in many ways, including the experiences of people who were not
    fortunate enough to be born (like himself) as white males, it does *not*
    'seem strange' at all that he does not comprehend their real lives.

Whenever 'minority women' speak of their experiences of racism or sexism,
    Normbenign, an extreme right-wing white American man, prefers to ignore
    and dismiss their experiences, if not also put them down for expressing them.
    And Normbenign likes to act as if he should be bewildered by discovering
    that most 'minority women' strongly oppose reactionary attitudes like his.
  13. 10 Nov '14 06:41

No, not really. It qualifies her even less to make a statement about opportunities available to minorities elsewhere.

We like to believe we offer the best opportunities, if only people would take advantage of them.

Unfortunately, what we like to believe is not always true, and in this case, it happens to not be true.
  14. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    10 Nov '14 07:03 / 1 edit
    remains deeply racist and sexist, but right-wing white men ...[text shortened]... s. Only right-wing
    I can understand why Rice says that because as a black Republican women she has done very well for herself. As a poor white Republican man, I get the feeling that black men and women have an advantage because they are usually given preferential treatment in the USA because of their race.