Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 19:061 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    If you read the accompanying link, the kid seems quite intelligent and well spoken. It seems that there are written tests for Marine recruits, as well as copious materials sold to assist prospects in the tests.

The Corps is no longer recruiting brute dummies.
    E.g. USMC General Anthony Zinni, an expert on Arab culture.

He co-wrote a book I read once (I think with Tom Clancy). But I don't remember the title.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/12/27/world/a-marine-general-who-studies-cultures-as-well-as-bomb-targets-in-the-gulf.html
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 19:08
    Originally posted by JS357
    http://www.army.mil/article/146268/Revised_uniform_policy_changes_rules_for_tattoos__wear_of_combat_uniform/

"...However, [US] Soldiers are still prohibited from having tattoos above the T-shirt neckline - meaning anywhere on the neck, face and head. Additionally, Soldiers are limited to no more than one "ring tattoo" on each hand, below the wrist line. Wha ...[text shortened]... y uniform. Instead, the policy spells out locations on the body where tattoos are prohibited..."
    Tats can be removed, and if the kid really wants into the marines, it can be done. I'm a bit sick, seeing the amount of tats, especially on girls.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 19:51
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    That was my first thought too.

However, banning someone for any form of tattoo can't surely be right.
    That being said, I presume the IDF doesn't have many troops running around with swastikas tattooed on their arses.
    If he did, the IDF would turn it into a propeller🙂
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 19:54
    Tats can be removed, and if the kid really wants into the marines, it can be done. I'm a bit sick, seeing the amount of tats, especially on girls.
    I agree, what does a girl with a bunch of tats, which she likes at age 20, say, what about when she is 60? is she going to feel the same? Some of those tats are very extensive and it would probably cost ten times as much to remove as to get. And probably very painful, much more than the original.

Same with a guy, gets a girl tat on his arm, say a blond with big boobs, then marries a black girl. Don't think the wife would like to see that ad on his arm every time they make love.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 20:01
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I agree, what does a girl with a bunch of tats, which she likes at age 20, say, what about when she is 60? is she going to feel the same? Some of those tats are very extensive and it would probably cost ten times as much to remove as to get. And probably very painful, much more than the original.

Same with a guy, gets a girl tat on his arm, say a blond w ...[text shortened]... black girl. Don't think the wife would like to see that ad on his arm every time they make love.
    I once had a trucker as a neighbour who had the name "Yvonne" tattooed on his arm.

Guess what his wife's name wasn't?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 20:17
    If you read the accompanying link, the kid seems quite intelligent and well spoken.
    But apparently either not particularly smart or knowledgeable about the world. But to be honest most kids that age aren't. When he got the tatoo he apparently either didn't know that it could cause offence or thought that that didn't matter. Even I, someone who has never been to America know that it could cause offence. I also know that one should think long and hard when getting a tattoo as it could affect your future including what jobs will be open to you.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 20:361 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    An 18 year old Arkansas teen was rejected by the Marines because of the tattoo shown in this article: http://deadstate.org/arkansas-teen-rejected-by-the-marine-corps-because-of-his-confederate-flag-tattoo/

Right or wrong? Should the result be different if he had a Viet Cong flag? Or a Union Jack?
    As I recall, the US military has rejected some applicants with gang tattoos.
    So this is not an unprecedented case of the US military shunning divisive symbols.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 20:40
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    As I recall, the US military has rejected some applicants with gang tattoos.
    So this is not an unprecedented case of the US military shunning some divisive symbols.
    I imagine from the gang's perspective, if you as a member of a gang remove a gang tattoo to get in the Marines, it would be like Apostate to Isis. In other words, death sentence.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 20:42
    Originally posted by sonhouse to Normbenign

Same with a guy, gets a girl tat on his arm, ...[text shortened]... black girl. Don't think the wife would like to see that ad on his arm every time they make love.
    "Don't think the wife would like to see that ad on his arm every time they make love."
    --Sonhouse

"Just close your eyes and think of England, my dear."
    --supposed traditional advice to Victorian brides on the wedding night
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 20:441 edit
    I imagine from the gang's perspective, if you as a member of a gang remove a gang tattoo
    to get in the Marines, it would be like Apostate to Isis. In other words, death sentence.
    The US military may be concerned about the applicant's loyalty to his former gang as opposed to the US military.
    What could happen if soldiers with rival gang tattoos were assigned to the same foxhole?
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 20:481 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse to Shavixmir
    If he did, the IDF would turn it into a propeller🙂
    Israel has some homegrown neo-Nazis (including some with Jewish heritage).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israels-nightmare-homegrown-neo-nazis-in-the-holy-land-396392.html

"Israel's Nightmare: Homegrown Neo-Nazis in the Holy Land"
    --Eric Silver (8 October 2007)
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 20:531 edit
    The US military may be concerned about the applicant's loyalty to his former gang as opposed to the US military.
    What could happen if soldiers with rival gang tattoos were assigned to the same foxhole?
    There is that. I was just talking about the guy's old gang, their reaction if he took off the tattoo to get in the military. They would have to know IF he was in the military AND they knew you couldn't get in with a gang tattoo, they would be able to put two and two together and conclude he had gotten rid of his tattoo and would probably be waiting for him to show up at home on leave some time down the road.

But if rival gangs were together in the same foxhole, my guess is the reason they were in that situation was because someone was trying to kill them and they would be instant brothers at least while they were in that situation, keeping each other covered and such till the fighting was over.

But it might be prudent for the Marines to not allow people to be put into such positions by not taking guys with gang tattoos, and now confederate flags.

At least the guy with the confederate flag could have it removed with no danger from his old comrades.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 21:04
    There is that. I was just talking about the guy's old gang, their reaction if he took off the tattoo to get in the military. They would have to know IF he was in the military AND they knew you couldn't get in with a gang tattoo, they would be able to put two and two together and conclude he had gotten rid of his tattoo and would probably be waiting for him ...[text shortened]... st the guy with the confederate flag could have it removed with no danger from his old comrades.
    "..because someone was trying to kill them and they would be instant brothers ..."
    --Sonhouse

Not necessarily. During the Second World War, there was an incident involving a USAAF
    unit (segregated) of black pilots (the Tuskegee airmen). A white South African pilot in the RAF
    (who seemed extremely racist even by white South African standards) was heard objecting
    in the fiercest terms to any black men being allowed to fly combat. He said that he would
    prefer to fight without such allies. Reportedly, this South African pilot (flying a Spitfire)
    then executed a surprise attack against a P-40 fighter flown by a black American pilot,
    who was shot down and killed. Afterward, many of the black American pilots thirsted for
    revenge, considering fighting the South Africans on the ground or even in the air.
    But 'cooler heads' prevailed. The black American pilots were warned that they would face
    a court-martial for intentionally attacking any allies. The Americans demanded that the
    South African pilot face a court-martial by the RAF. His excuse was that he had misidentified
    the P-40 as a Luftwaffe Bf-109. The RAF believed it had insufficient evidence to proceed
    with a court-martial. The South African pilot was just grounded and sent home early.
    Even decades later, surviving black American pilots spoke with bitterness about the incident.
  14. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 23:50
    There is that. I was just talking about the guy's old gang, their reaction if he took off the tattoo to get in the military. They would have to know IF he was in the military AND they knew you couldn't get in with a gang tattoo, they would be able to put two and two together and conclude he had gotten rid of his tattoo and would probably be waiting for him ...[text shortened]... st the guy with the confederate flag could have it removed with no danger from his old comrades.
    Most gangs value military connections. I'm sure the tattoo could be overlooked as long as the guy smuggles out artillery shells for IED use once in a while.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gang-members-military-weapons-2011-12
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 12:583 edits
    "..because someone was trying to kill them and they would be instant brothers ..."
    --Sonhouse

Not necessarily. During the Second World War, there was an incident involving a USAAF
    unit (segregated) of black pilots (the Tuskegee airmen). A white South African pilot in the RAF
    (who seemed extremely racist even by white South African standards) was h ...[text shortened]... .
    Even decades later, surviving black American pilots spoke with bitterness about the incident.
    Love that story, but after much googling I can't find a ref for it.
    I did find a few sites about Tuskegee airmen myths versus the facts . Seems you can't believe everything you see in Hollywood Movies.