Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 11:081 edit
    A former conservative military man tells why Republicans are constantly bashing education. He writes: "Before college, I voted conservative, hated gay people, loved America and served my country in the armed services. I’ve changed because of many factors, but I know that college and graduate school made a difference. I met people unlike myself and was forced to defend sometimes ugly political positions. The Tea Party thrives on blue-collar “common sense” that is composed of a combination of ignorance, superstition and fear"

https://www.salon.com/2015/02/26/the_rights_fear_of_education_what_i_learned_as_a_former_conservative_military_man/
  2. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 11:13
    Originally posted by @mchill
    A former conservative military man tells why Republicans are constantly bashing education. He writes: "Before college, I voted conservative, hated gay people, loved America and served my country in the armed services. I’ve changed because of many factors, but I know that college and graduate school made a difference. I met people unlike myself and was force ...[text shortened]... om/2015/02/26/the_rights_fear_of_education_what_i_learned_as_a_former_conservative_military_man/
    I have had a similar life-experience. I was a Reagan Democrat. But, because of my military service, I matured and realized that there are many ways to look at things.

Do I care about the skin color, religion or diet of the guy in the proverbial "foxhole" next to me. NO!

I just hope he's loyal and has good eyesight too.
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 11:25
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    I have had a similar life-experience. I was a Reagan Democrat. But, because of my military service, I matured and realized that there are many ways to look at things.

Do I care about the skin color, religion or diet of the guy in the proverbial "foxhole" next to me. NO!

I just hope he's loyal and has good eyesight too.
    oh look...the homosexuals have found a salon article that makes them feel less guilty.
  4. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 11:33
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    oh look...the homosexuals have found a salon article that makes them feel less guilty.
    Spoken authoritatively by one who seems to understand.

Hmmmmmm....
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 11:42
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    Spoken authoritatively by one who seems to understand.

Hmmmmmm....
    similar to playing the race card...the old >accuse them of your misdeeds<...
    nothing new.
  6. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 11:49
    I guess asking you to read this article before you start bashing it would be too much to ask.
  7. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 12:11
    I guess asking you to read this article before you start bashing it would be too much to ask.
    I would advise you not to read salon articles!
  8. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 12:16
    I would advise you not to read salon articles!
    I'll give your suggestion all the consideration it deserves. 🙄
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 12:283 edits
    A former conservative military man tells why Republicans are constantly bashing education. He writes: "Before college, I voted conservative, hated gay people, loved America and served my country in the armed services. I’ve changed because of many factors, but I know that college and graduate school made a difference. I met people unlike myself and was force ...[text shortened]... om/2015/02/26/the_rights_fear_of_education_what_i_learned_as_a_former_conservative_military_man/
    I know what you mean. I have this silly superstition that continuing to run trillion dollar deficits is not sustainable.

Can you help me? I mean, how in the hell do they keep inflation down? And if debt does not matter, why does the government not just pay off all our mortgages instead of bailing out corporate America?

Only Dims in academia can help me better understand.

All I know is that any spending decrease would be draconian and we need free college and health care on top of that.

Me no understand such things. Would you learn me? I would settle for that half wits phone number and ask him if you can't help.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 12:35
    I also don't understand them thar abortions. Why don't I believe in the birth fairy that waves her magic wand over the infant as it exits the womb, making it human.

It's all science based I'm sure.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 13:28
    Wut? Just a thumbs down? Who will fix me by learn'in me?
  12. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 16:45
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Wut? Just a thumbs down? Who will fix me by learn'in me?
    I'm reminded of a reverse version of the racist scene in the classic comedy film "Airplane":

"Excuse me Sir...I speak 'redneck'..."
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 16:50
    "I love the poorly educated."

--- Donald Trump.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 16:50
    ^ Yes, that's a real quote.
  15. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 16:57
    Originally posted by @vivify
    "I love the poorly educated."

--- Donald Trump.
    Would you rather he hate the poorly educated?