Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 06 Sep '10 23:00 / 1 edit
    I was wondering if some people would like to discuss this issue. It seems to me that anyone has the ability to come into a thread and destroy it. This is especially true if there is a group of people who don't like the topic of the thread.

    Your thoughts?
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Sep '10 23:09
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I was wondering if some people would like to discuss this issue. It seems to me that anyone has the ability to come into a thread and destroy it. This is especially true if there is a group of people who don't like the topic of the thread.

    Your thoughts?
    I don't see why there's anything wrong with hijacking a thread. Threads don't belong to anybody. If someone respond off topic to someone else's post then if people ignore it then it will be irrelevant; but if they choose to engage, what's the big deal? One can always start a new thread to pick up where another was hijacked.

    Oh, and by the way, how about them Yankees!?
  3. 06 Sep '10 23:12
    So if you start a thread to have a discussion, then it isn't generally understood that the thread is supposed to be about that topic?

    I didn't know that. I thought there was a common courtesy that a thread discussion actually be about what the person who started the thread wanted to discuss, espeically while the person is active.


    I can see taking a tangent once discussion runs low, but to simply change the subject because you don't like the topic just seems wrong.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Sep '10 23:15
    Originally posted by Eladar
    So if you start a thread to have a discussion, then it isn't generally understood that the thread is supposed to be about that topic?

    I didn't know that. I thought there was a common courtesy that a thread discussion actually be about what the person who started the thread wanted to discuss, espeically while the person is active.


    I can see taking a t ...[text shortened]... runs low, but to simply change the subject because you don't like the topic just seems wrong.
    Well, your feeling that it's wrong is just as valid as my indifference to the issue, so I can't say there's no such common courtesy. I guess it's all the eye of the beholder.
  5. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    06 Sep '10 23:15
    Seriously, that fig leaf is just too small.
  6. 06 Sep '10 23:17
    Originally posted by sh76
    I don't see why there's anything wrong with hijacking a thread. Threads don't belong to anybody. If someone respond off topic to someone else's post then if people ignore it then it will be irrelevant; but if they choose to engage, what's the big deal? One can always start a new thread to pick up where another was hijacked.

    Oh, and by the way, how about them Yankees!?
    forum posting guidelines

    "Please stay on topic. There is clearly a subjective judgment to be made as to whether a post strays off topic and in the majority of cases the post will not be deleted unless it is considered to be disruptive to the thread and its participants."
  7. 06 Sep '10 23:20
    Originally posted by sh76
    Well, your feeling that it's wrong is just as valid as my indifference to the issue, so I can't say there's no such common courtesy. I guess it's all the eye of the beholder.
    Evidently the forum rules are with me on this one. Look at what Uther posted.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Sep '10 23:37
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Evidently the forum rules are with me on this one. Look at what Uther posted.
    Fair enough.

    Personally, it doesn't bother me. But if it bothers you, by all means, point it out when it happens.
  9. 06 Sep '10 23:43
    Originally posted by sh76
    Fair enough.

    Personally, it doesn't bother me. But if it bothers you, by all means, point it out when it happens.
    It's kind of impossible to point it out when the thread gets locked because of another person's responses to the thread. It's happened twice now.

    Someone jumps in, goes on a tangent then the thread disappears. Atlhough the second time around, it just might be the person who started the thread that got it taken away.
  10. 07 Sep '10 00:09
    I really dig Wozniacki the tennis player. So easy on the eyes. it does trouble me that she is only 20 yrs old.
  11. 07 Sep '10 00:22
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I really dig Wozniacki the tennis player. So easy on the eyes. it does trouble me that she is only 20 yrs old.
    Care to comment in the other thread, this time on subject. What do you think of teh APA?
  12. 07 Sep '10 00:28
    Originally posted by Eladar
    So if you start a thread to have a discussion, then it isn't generally understood that the thread is supposed to be about that topic?

    I didn't know that. I thought there was a common courtesy that a thread discussion actually be about what the person who started the thread wanted to discuss, espeically while the person is active.


    I can see taking a t ...[text shortened]... runs low, but to simply change the subject because you don't like the topic just seems wrong.
    You've been participating long enough to know that there is no "common courtesy" in the debate forum.
  13. 07 Sep '10 00:31
    Originally posted by normbenign
    You've been participating long enough to know that there is no "common courtesy" in the debate forum.
    Usually when people insult each other they are doing it on topic.
  14. 07 Sep '10 00:35
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Usually when people insult each other they are doing it on topic.
    Yes, but I'm sure you've noticed that the most common tactic is the personal attack. Don't question the premise, or relate new facts. Simply discredit the opposition. If that bothers you, just play chess and don't bother with the debates forum.
  15. 07 Sep '10 00:43
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Yes, but I'm sure you've noticed that the most common tactic is the personal attack. Don't question the premise, or relate new facts. Simply discredit the opposition. If that bothers you, just play chess and don't bother with the debates forum.
    I generally tell those people to bounce their balls. I guess that has new meaning to me after comments one person made to me.