Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 23:043 edits
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cop-pulls-over-black-man-making-eye-contact_55e0ad60e4b0b7a96338e614?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000047

Earlier this month, a police officer in Dayton, Ohio, tailed a man by the name of John Felton for two miles, then pulled him over for failing to use a turn signal 100 feet prior to making his turn. To be clear: Felton used a turn signal, but he apparently didn't put it on early enough.

Only after handing over a written warning did the officer acknowledge the real reason he'd pulled over Felton, a black man who was driving a car with out-of-state plates: He had "made direct eye contact" with the officer.

The Dayton Police Department confirmed the incident in a statement emailed to The Huffington Post on Friday, and acknowledged "making direct eye contact with an officer" is not a legitimate reason to be stopped.

Felton captured the absurd interaction on camera, then shared the video on his Facebook page (video is in the link).
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 23:30
    Originally posted by vivify
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cop-pulls-over-black-man-making-eye-contact_55e0ad60e4b0b7a96338e614?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000047

Earlier this month, a police officer in Dayton, Ohio, tailed a man by the name of John Felton for two miles, then pulled him over for failing to use a turn signal 100 feet prior to making his turn. To be clear: Felton used a t ...[text shortened]... absurd interaction on camera, then shared the video on his Facebook page (video is in the link).
    Cops often act on intuition, anything that doesn't set well with them. Obviously, this involves their personal life history, and can invoke various prejudices, but this isn't limited to cops only. Virtually everyone has certain prejudices based on their experiences. In cops, due to their job, such things become hypersensitive, and sometime result in treatment of people unfairly. In other cases, this sensitivity results in them finding bad guys that otherwise would escape.

I doubt that any of us can come down too hard on what cops do, save when it involves us personally.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 23:57
    I once got pulled over by a cop because it was Friday night and I was coming off a college campus, cop just did it because he was sure it would be an easy DUI. I wasn't drinking, didn't commit any sort of moving violation, and after he was through f&%$ing with me I got to drive off.
    Must a been racial profiling.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 00:013 edits

Earlier this month, a police officer in Dayton, Ohio, tailed a man by the name of John Felton for two miles, then pulled him over for failing to use a turn signal 100 feet prior to making his turn. To be clear: Felton used a t ...[text shortened]... absurd interaction on camera, then shared the video on his Facebook page (video is in the link).
    The driver was acting suspicious, so the cop tailed him to see what he might be up to. When the cop saw the suspect perform improper signaling, the cop simply pulled the suspect over to inform him and only gave him a warning. Maybe that will make him a better driver. So what is the big deal? Was the guy black and the cop white? Yeah, that was it, racial profiling. A good black slave does not make eye to eye contact with his white master.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 00:30
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    I once got pulled over by a cop because it was Friday night and I was coming off a college campus, cop just did it because he was sure it would be an easy DUI. I wasn't drinking, didn't commit any sort of moving violation, and after he was through f&%$ing with me I got to drive off.
    Context buddy, context. When whites start having a seriously disproportionate history of mistreatment from cops spanning many decades, then utter that statement.

It's easy to sneer at this story when you belong to the race that's never been oppressed.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 00:34
    For the record, and I'm not saying this cop was profiling. It's just interesting that this seems to rarely happen to whites, compared to blacks.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 00:381 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The driver was acting suspicious
    This is what I'm talking about. Since when is making direct eye contact "acting suspicious"?
  8. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 00:43
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Cops often act on intuition, anything that doesn't set well with them. Obviously, this involves their personal life history, and can invoke various prejudices, but this isn't limited to cops only. Virtually everyone has certain prejudices based on their experiences. In cops, due to their job, such things become hypersensitive, and sometime result in treat ...[text shortened]... oubt that any of us can come down too hard on what cops do, save when it involves us personally.
    Excuse Me???? Police officers should be above this sort of crap and this officer should be fired or forced to take some training. Your comment just excused every "accidental" murder of a black person in the U.S. by a police officer. Disgusting!
  9. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 00:43
    For the record, and I'm not saying this cop was profiling. It's just interesting that this seems to rarely happen to whites, compared to blacks.
    Rarely happens to whites? It never happens to whites.
  10. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 00:45
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    I'm guessing the cop didn't smash you in the face or hand cuff you which is what often happens to blacks who are pulled over.
  11. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 07:52
    Racial profiling, plain and simple. And the copper later admitted it was because of the direct eye contact. Bloody ludicrous.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 09:48
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Excuse Me???? Police officers should be above this sort of crap and this officer should be fired or forced to take some training. Your comment just excused every "accidental" murder of a black person in the U.S. by a police officer. Disgusting!
    This cop did not shoot and kill the guy, he even let the guy go for a traffic violation. You seem to be blowing this way out of proportion.