Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 23:581 edit
    Video of the beating in the link:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Brooklyn-Bodega-Beating-Bedford-Stuyvesant-Police-318143531.html

"A man accused of stealing a slice of pizza was punched in the head by police and whacked with a baton inside a Brooklyn bodega, even though he had his hands up in surrender, surveillance video obtained by NBC 4 New York shows. The video shows 24-year-old Thomas Jennings and one police officer standing in front of a camera inside the store on July 7 in Bedford-Stuyvesant."

This is an image of Jennings' mugshot, which shows him injured:
    http://s9.postimg.org/6c5sw5nm7/police_photo.jpg
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    25 Jul '15 00:26
    Originally posted by vivify

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Brooklyn-Bodega-Beating-Bedford-Stuyvesant-Police-318143531.html

"A man accused of stealing a slice of pizza was punched in the head by police and whacked with a baton inside a Brooklyn bodega, even though he had his hands up in surrender, surveillance video obtained by NBC 4 New Yor ...[text shortened]... of Jennings' mugshot, which shows him injured:
    Right away, I don't see what the attorney alleges. Jennings apparently was in a standoff with the initial officer. Too bad there isn't audio. What was said in the standoff would be a possible explanation for the aggressive action of the 2nd cop. The video isn't as condemning as the attorney wants everyone to believe.

Your headline is also inflammatory, and quite obviously no beating was administered for stealing pizza. The question is what was he ordered to do by the initial officer, and did he comply? The video shows his with hands extended in a defensive position, not raised in a submissive one. Let's wait before judging.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jul '15 00:44
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Right away, I don't see what the attorney alleges. Jennings apparently was in a standoff with the initial officer. Too bad there isn't audio. What was said in the standoff would be a possible explanation for the aggressive action of the 2nd cop. The video isn't as condemning as the attorney wants everyone to believe.

Your headline is also inflammatory, ...[text shortened]... nds extended in a defensive position, not raised in a submissive one. Let's wait before judging.
    Yeah it's typical of the propaganda vivify wants to push.
    Amounts to lying, no more no less.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Jul '15 01:161 edit
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Yeah it's typical of the propaganda vivify wants to push.
    Amounts to lying, no more no less.
    If they were black cops beating a white man, you'd be lynching normbenign for what he just said. You know, because of your being openly racist.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Jul '15 01:212 edits
    Your headline is also inflammatory, and quite obviously no beating was administered for stealing pizza. [/b]
    Adding the word "for" was a mistake. By the time I realized it, I wasn't able to edit the title. For some reason, the time limit for editing a thread title is much shorter than for editing a post.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    25 Jul '15 04:44

Your headline is also inflammatory, and quite obviously no beating was administered for stealing pizza. .
    You are correct.
    The beating appears to be for "standing still".

I doubt if this is racial ... but it is abuse of power.

If a similar scene played out in any European city it would be front page and heads would roll.
    America: You are losing it.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Jul '15 09:55
    If they were black cops beating a white man, you'd be lynching normbenign for what he just said. You know, because of your being openly racist.
    So is the man getting beaten black? Is that what you see as the main problem?
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 Jul '15 10:49
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You are correct.
    The beating appears to be for "standing still".

I doubt if this is racial ... but it is abuse of power.

If a similar scene played out in any European city it would be front page and heads would roll.
    [b]America: You are losing it.
    [/b]
    If only we had a universally recognised gesture of surrender.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jul '15 00:58

"A man accused of stealing a slice of pizza was punched in the head by police and whacked with a baton inside a Brooklyn bodega, even though he had his hands up in surrender, surveillance video obtained by NBC 4 New Yor ...[text shortened]... of Jennings' mugshot, which shows him injured:
    The link did not work for me. I guess I was not supposed to see it.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jul '15 09:10
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I doubt if this is racial ...
    I am curious as to why you doubt it. It seems to me that there is a reasonably good chance that it is racial ie that the victim would have been treated differently if he was white. There is of course no way of knowing this from the video, but then there is no way of knowing that it isn't the case so what are your doubts based on?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jul '15 15:09
    "Work that Al Qaeda"

YouTube

Too funny
  12. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    26 Jul '15 18:00
    Creep
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jul '15 19:29
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    If only we had a universally recognised gesture of surrender.
    Yeah, there is one, it's called not attacking the cop.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 19:26
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    "Work that Al Qaeda"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmYFCSlip2M

Too funny
    Reminds me of women in MMA fighting.

YouTube
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 23:17
    Adding the word "for" was a mistake. By the time I realized it, I wasn't able to edit the title. For some reason, the time limit for editing a thread title is much shorter than for editing a post.
    OK, I can understand that. Do you see also my point on stance. Our body posture, attitude, and stance are triggers to those we interact with, and that is true of the cops also. My viewing of the video, saw the first cops body language as tentative, not decisive, and inviting a less than submissive response.

The best thing for anyone interacting with cops, or others in authority, is to relax and minimize the stress of the situation. Declaw. Don't even act defensive, or try to be a sidewalk lawyer. If you did something wrong, fess up, and things will go a lot smoother.