Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 23:22
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    If only we had a universally recognised gesture of surrender.
    That would be useful, if there were a language problem. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Cops usually give orders, such as get on the ground, or face the wall, place your hands on the wall. Without audio, we don't know what the first cop said. Common sense says that the hands held out in a defensive posture weren't what was asked for, thus the partner's response.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Jul '15 00:265 edits
    Originally posted by normbenign
    That would be useful, if there were a language problem. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Cops usually give orders, such as get on the ground, or face the wall, place your hands on the wall. Without audio, we don't know what the first cop said. Common sense says that the hands held out in a defensive posture weren't what was asked for, thus the partner's response.
    I didn't see his hands raised above his head. How can these idiots make a judgment he was surrendering? I only saw his elbow resting on the counter table with that one hand pointed upward. That does not mean surrender to me. That could have meant several things like I'm tired and leave me the hell alone. Who knows what he was doing with the other hand? Or what was said?

YouTube

I am pretty sure when someone is surrendering to the police he is supposed to put both hands above his head and turn around with his back to the office so he can be cuffed. I would suspect that is what the one police officer was telling him. And when he did not comply the other officer rushed in to help subdue the suspect.

Should you Surrender to the Police??

YouTube
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 00:36
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I didn't see his hands raised above his head. How can these idiots make a judgment he was surrendering? I only saw his elbow resting on the counter table with that one hand pointed upward. That does not mean surrender to me. That could have meant several things like I'm tired and leave me the hell alone. Who knows what he was doing with the other hand? ...[text shortened]... e the suspect.

[b]Should you Surrender to the Police??

[youtube]xCY7kws6ey4[/youtube][/b]
    The second youtube reference was impressive, and right.