Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Stargazing
    Moves
    27 Jun '17 19:561 edit
    Ok leftie guys, here's your opportunity to follow your hip glasto-glam leader.
    Jeremy (bless him) claims that he will be PM by the end of the year.

Are you with him in this claim, yes or no?
  2. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    27 Jun '17 21:22
    Originally posted by divegeester

William Hill are offering 9/4.

I'm with Jezza on this one.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    27 Jun '17 22:254 edits
    Head of PR at Paddy Power, Lee Price, said: “Like his magic money tree, Corbyn's support has grown rapidly in recent weeks ... At the start of May, Corbyn was a huge 10/1 outsider to be next PM — now, with the end of May seemingly imminent, he's just 2/1."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-odds-prime-minister-slashed-half-snap-election-a7801366.html

In general I have no interest in gambling, nor in guessing the future.

What matters is the policies and the issues and on these, I have consistently supported Corbyn since he emerged to challenge for leadership of the Labour Party. Those following my posts in this forum will agree that this required no change at all in my values or opinions. I support him because I agree with him.

As Corbyn becomes a serious contender, we can expect a continuing escalation in the backlash, seeking to belittle his achievements to date and undermine his support.

This has always and will in future be done by dishonest and corrupt methods.

The response has to remain a positive statement of the real issues and pinciples on which he stands.

When Diver can make an intelligible contribution to a meaningful debate, then that will be interesting. Since he cannot achieve that, we are reduced to the level of 'you smell' - 'no you smell'.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    28 Jun '17 00:16

We need an election by end of year.
    What odds? 1 in 4? Jan & Feb must be equally likely or (god forbid) no election.
    Labour beat Conservatives? better than 50% but not a cert.
    Then he has to form a minority government.

And all could change in 24 hours.
    May needs to find her own "Falklands War"
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    28 Jun '17 02:50
    Originally posted by Proper Knob to Divegeester

But Leicester City FC never could win the English Premier League, could it?
  6. Stargazing
    Moves
    28 Jun '17 03:49
    Originally posted by finnegan
    In general I have no interest in gambling, nor in guessing the future.
    Dodge noted.
  7. Stargazing
    Moves
    28 Jun '17 03:50
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    What odds? 1 in 4? Jan & Feb must be equally likely or (god forbid) no election.

Is that a yes or a no? 😉
  8. Stargazing
    Moves
    28 Jun '17 03:53
    Originally posted by Proper Knob

Obviously not sufficiently odds on for most here.
  9. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    28 Jun '17 03:542 edits

No. I don't see that happening.

At the tory conference we'll find out of May is staying or leaving (set piece as usual). She, by all accounts, should go, but considering what they've got to replace her with, they might presume it's just as good to keep her on.

The tories would have to ve hounded by a hellish media to hold an election by choice now. And the media is generally not pro-Corbyn.

Also, with the DUP backing them up, policy matters won't probably force their hands either.

So, I reckon it's 4,5 years of tory rule.
    I can't realistically see anyway to bring the big blue beast down.
  10. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    28 Jun '17 12:363 edits
    Dodge noted.
    It is not dodging to answer you the way I did.

You asked if I endorse this supposed prediction, (not a direct quote of course, as far as I know - this is how the media confuse the public and you are typical of those foolish enough to accept the way they distort and distract from real issues) and I replied that I do not make predictions, which is your answer.

As I have said in earlier posts (not this thread but on this topic) the attempt to represent elections as a sort of dog race, in which voters are asked to bet on a winner, is typical of the methods used to silence serious political discussion and generate a noisy substitute for real democracy.

You seem to have the delusions (among other delusions) that a) others are obliged to accept your demands for a debate and b) others have to accept the way you wish to frame it.

You are in fact trolling.

When a substantial topic is discussed you are incapable of engaging with it, because you are not well informed. There is no special pleasure to be had in proving you wrong over and over, bearing in mind you lack the capacity to appreciate when you have been proved wrong. It is sometimes useful to refute the nonsense you submit to the forum, but it is for us to decide when to bother, not comply with your demands.

As you are unable to argue on substance, instead you rely on a repertoire of tactics to maintain your irritating presence here, the written equivalent of rattling an empty tin can.

Your delighted post "Dodge noted" is most unimpressive. Telling you to STFU is not a dodge.
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    28 Jun '17 12:49
    Originally posted by finnegan

When a substantial topic is discussed you are incapable of engaging with it, because you are not well informed. .
    I know it's uncouth to cross threads, but really, this is too much Mr 5 man crews because 5 is more than 4.

Totally uninformed but didn't stop you from trying to bluff it. Now has a go at other posters for his own inadequacy.
  12. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    28 Jun '17 12:57
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    I know it's uncouth to cross threads, but really, this is too much Mr 5 man crews because 5 is more than 4.

Totally uninformed but didn't stop you from trying to bluff it. Now has a go at other posters for his own inadequacy.
    Typical piece of distraction. "Distraction is the process of diverting the attention of an individual or group from a desired area of focus and thereby blocking or diminishing the reception of desired information."
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    28 Jun '17 22:51
    Originally posted by wolfgang59 to Divegeester

I strongly doubt that the UK would hold *two* general elections in the same year.
    I expect that the DUP never would support Jeremy Corbyn over any Conservative leader,
    and the DUP has enough seats to block any prospective Labour minority government now.

For whatever it's worth, as I recall, Googlefudge wrote that he intended to vote for the
    Conservative Party even though he disagreed with its economic policies because he
    seemed terrified of Putin's Russia attacking (perhaps with nuclear weapons) the UK.
    So the Tories can find ways to frighten gullible people into voting for them.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    29 Jun '17 01:17
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    I strongly doubt that the UK would hold *two* general elections in the same year.
    Why?
    That is what happened last time there was a hung Parliament.

Granted November would be very early but it is possible.
    Certainly within a year is likely.
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    29 Jun '17 01:33
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Why?
    That is what happened last time there was a hung Parliament.

Granted November would be very early but it is possible.
    Certainly within a year is likely.
    2010 resulted in a hung Parliament with the Tories and Labor getting similar number of seats has they did this month and there was no general election after until 2015.