Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 04 Jul '12 19:15 / 1 edit
    Is there a connection between liberalism and atheism? Do the two go hand in hand? According to this article it would appear that there is.

http://anepigone.blogspot.com/2009/01/atheists-are-liberals-as-often-as-not.html

According to the findings, among atheists about 47.7% are self described liberal leaning. 29% are self described moderates and only 23.3% are self described conservatives. In short, if you ever meet an atheist, you have a 50/50 chance of being right stereotyping him or her as an atheist.

Conversely, in the US among the average population, 26.6% are self described leaning left, 38.7% are moderates, and 34.5% say they are conservative.

The study suggests that the more liberal a person becomes, the less firm their theism becomes.

Was it mere coincidence that left wingers such as Karl Marx were atheists? The study suggests that it anything but a coincidence. Perhaps it is just par for the course.
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    04 Jul '12 20:40
    Atheists are smarter, that's why.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-thinkingchristians.htm
  3. 04 Jul '12 23:42
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Atheists are smarter, that's why.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-thinkingchristians.htm
    I guess the options are that you are either smarter or more arrogant. From what I have observed, humility is not a strong suit for athiests. Conversely, I have met some very humble religious folk.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    05 Jul '12 00:21
    Originally posted by whodey
    From what I have observed, humility is not a strong suit for athiests. Conversely, I have met some very humble religious folk.
    So according to your own observational study, how does "some" theists being "humble" translate into empirical data? You said: "I have met some very humble religious folk": would that be 3% of them were "very humble"; 5% of them; 10%? From what you have observed, for what percentage (in round figures perhaps) of theists was "humility is not a strong suit"?
  5. 05 Jul '12 00:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    So according to your own observational study, how does "some" theists being "humble" translate into empirical data? You said: "I have met some very humble religious folk": would that be 3% of them were "very humble"; 5% of them; 10%? From what you have observed, for what percentage (in round figures perhaps) of theists was "humility is not a strong suit"?
    Humility is an understanding of your place in the universe. Knowing that you don't know what is best for everyone nor have the power to accomplish if you did is a starting point.
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    05 Jul '12 01:01 / 1 edit
    double post
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    05 Jul '12 01:04 / 3 edits
    Humility is an understanding of your place in the universe. Knowing that you don't know what is best for everyone nor have the power to accomplish if you did is a starting point.
    You sound like an arrogant Christian fundamentalist whose 'universe' is full of cardboard cut outs and straw men. Where I live, an example of [predominantly] 'liberal' political action is the fight against domestic violence.

Women who campaign on this issue - and similar issues - are often criticized or condescended to by social conservatives and religious people as lacking in humility or of being unwomanly or of not knowing their place.

Where does that leave your sneering fortune cookie wisdom? Almost every time you try to characterize and generalize what "liberals" think and do, all I hear from you are these incoherent, clumsy, comic book stereotypes of yours.

The fact your bumpkin soundbites could just as easily be adopted by the likes of General Soeharto, Pol Pot, Benny Hinn or the Pope, ought to give you pause for thought as you try to distill your own political impotence and misanthropy into a right wing elixir that is toxic to billions of people that might want to change the world around them.
  8. 05 Jul '12 02:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    You sound like an arrogant Christian fundamentalist whose 'universe' is full of cardboard cut outs and straw men. Where I live, an example of [predominantly] 'liberal' political action is the fight against domestic violence.

Women who campaign on this issue - and similar issues - are often criticized or condescended to by social conservatives and religious p lixir that is toxic to billions of people that might want to change the world around them.
    Try addressing the OP for a change FMF instead of attacking me personally.

A study was done indicating that if you are an atheist, you have a 50/50 chance of being a lefty. Why?
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    05 Jul '12 02:11 / 1 edit
    Try addressing the OP for a change FMF instead of attacking me personally.
    I was addressing this post of yours:

"Humility is an understanding of your place in the universe. Knowing that you don't know what is best for everyone nor have the power to accomplish if you did is a starting point."

In my reply I mentioned "religious people" and "liberalism" and "conservatives" and "humility" and one's "place in the universe". You posted something and I responded. Now it seems you'd rather dodge and deflect than address my take on the issues you've raised.
  10. 05 Jul '12 02:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    I was addressing this post of yours:

"Humility is an understanding of your place in the universe. Knowing that you don't know what is best for everyone nor have the power to accomplish if you did is a starting point."

In my reply I mentioned "religious people" and "liberalism" and "conservatives" and "humility" and one's "place in the universe". You posted ...[text shortened]... you'd rather dodge and deflect than address my take on the issues you've raised.
    I was responding to what ATY said about how much smarter atheists are. The boy needs a humility pill. Then walks in FMF in agreement. Go figure.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    05 Jul '12 02:18
    I was responding to what ATY said about how much smarter atheists are. The boy needs a humility pill. Then walks in FMF in agreement. Go figure.
    Still no response to my comments on your post?
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    05 Jul '12 02:24
    A correlation, sure. But a weak one.

I think there's also a libertarian/atheist correlation; the Penn Jilette crowd; whose lack of religion leads them towards more of a lassais faire attitude.

What you don't have are the atheists who want to exclude certain groups of people because they were not "meant to" behave as they do or created in an inferior manner since atheists don't tend to believe that people were born inherently to behave in a certain manner or to occupy a specific social stratus. This factor alone probably explains the correlation between atheism and liberalism.
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    05 Jul '12 02:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    BUMP for whodey. You dodged this one as well.
  14. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    05 Jul '12 02:34
    Is there a connection between liberalism and atheism? Do the two go hand in hand? According to this article it would appear that there is.

http://anepigone.blogspot.com/2009/01/atheists-are-liberals-as-often-as-not.html

According to the findings, among atheists about 47.7% are self described liberal leaning. 29% are self described moderates and only ...[text shortened]... The study suggests that it anything but a coincidence. Perhaps it is just par for the course.
    Yes, atheists are often liberals. So what? Not all liberals are atheists, and considering that less than 10 percent of Americans are atheists, it's a safe bet that most liberals aren't atheists.
  15. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    05 Jul '12 02:37
    I guess the options are that you are either smarter or more arrogant. From what I have observed, humility is not a strong suit for athiests. Conversely, I have met some very humble religious folk.
    Perhaps you should "observe" or "meet" more people before jumping to conclusions.

Bill Maher is not (or, at least, should not be) an accurate representation of your typical liberal.