Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 25 Oct '13 22:55
    Bite it, World:

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/25-countries-most-brainpower-211349685.html
  2. 25 Oct '13 23:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    Bite it, World:

Interesting. The absolute numbers of brilliant people are interesting, but also would be cool if they listed the percentage of the country population that is brilliant.

I wonder if based on percentage, a small educated African nation would be on the list.
  3. 25 Oct '13 23:05
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Interesting. The absolute numbers of brilliant people are interesting, but also would be cool if they listed the percentage of the country population that is brilliant.

I wonder if based on percentage, a small educated African nation would be on the list.
    Oh hell yes moon, everyone knows the negro nations in Africa are all Einsteins.

Idiot.
  4. 25 Oct '13 23:27
    Originally posted by moon1969 to KilgoreTrout15

"I wonder if based on percentage, a small educated African nation would
    be on the list."
    --Moon1969

Do you have any country in mind as 'a small educated African nation'?
    (Perhaps if Gaddafi had spent more money on education rather than arms?)
  5. 25 Oct '13 23:38
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "I wonder if based on percentage, a small educated African nation would
    be on the list."
    --Moon1969

Do you have any country in mind as 'a small educated African nation'?
    (Perhaps if Gaddafi had spent more money on education rather than arms?)
    Education isn't definitive of brilliance. Scotland was a backward sinkhole, until the founding of Edinburgh University in 1583. A half century later Scots graduating from Edinburgh were leaders in all sorts of fields all over Europe. The potential was there, but undiscovered.
  6. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    26 Oct '13 00:24
    Bite it, World:

Duhhh!
    Not surprisingly USA has more brainier people than a smaller country.
    (Also more idiots)

Surely the important figure is the percentage.
    That was quite condemning for USA (UK too)

I see NZ did quite well with 4%
  7. 26 Oct '13 00:32
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Education isn't definitive of brilliance. Scotland was a backward sinkhole, until the founding of Edinburgh University in 1583. A half century later Scots graduating from Edinburgh were leaders in all sorts of fields all over Europe. The potential was there, but undiscovered.
    First of all, my post was addressed to Moon1969, and I referred only
    to his terms. Moon1969 wrote of being 'educated', not 'brilliant'.

"The potential was there, but undiscovered."
    --Normbenign

So every beginning music student could be an undiscovered Mozart.
  8. 26 Oct '13 00:55
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Duhhh!
    Not surprisingly USA has more brainier people than a smaller country.
    (Also more idiots)

Surely the important figure is the percentage.
    That was quite condemning for USA (UK too)

I see NZ did quite well with 4%
    "Surely the important figure is the percentage."

That depends. If the challenge is a national one or is a challenge to a company or other group, the important figure is the size of the pool of brainy people that are available to pick from and develop.

Sputnik resulted in the US PSSC [Physical Science Study Committee] Physics curriculum for (some) high schools. I was one of those on whom the tentative PSSC physics course was tested. It was so experimental that they had no idea how we would perform and how to assign grades. I was near the top of the class even though in some tests I got only ~30% of the answers. Having a larger pool of brainy people increases the chances that a nation (company, etc.) will excel.
  9. 26 Oct '13 01:11
    Perhaps we should all be learning Mandarin or Cantonese. It appears Asia has the highest percentage of brainiacs.
  10. 26 Oct '13 01:58
    Bite it, World:

They used math as the measuring stick. Would not have been what I would have chosen. Math is one of those things that the more practice you get the better at it you will be. How many people actually use much math in their daily lives? Kind of like IQ tests. It doesn't account for different cultures and is very biased.
  11. 26 Oct '13 02:10
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    First of all, my post was addressed to Moon1969, and I referred only
    to his terms. Moon1969 wrote of being 'educated', not 'brilliant'.

"The potential was there, but undiscovered."
    --Normbenign

So every beginning music student could be an undiscovered Mozart.
    Truer words never spoken.
  12. 26 Oct '13 02:13
    Originally posted by JS357
    "Surely the important figure is the percentage."

That depends. If the challenge is a national one or is a challenge to a company or other group, the important figure is the size of the pool of brainy people that are available to pick from and develop.

Sputnik resulted in the US PSSC [Physical Science Study Committee] Physics curriculum for (some) high sc ...[text shortened]... g a larger pool of brainy people increases the chances that a nation (company, etc.) will excel.
    In every country and company there is tremendous intellectual capital that is squandered, misused, or lost altogether.
  13. 26 Oct '13 04:53
    The percentage is much more telling in terms of either inate talent or educational system comparisons the US and Uk are looking pretty thick skulled compared to Canada and the Netherlands which probably indicates the significance of the educational system as a factor.
  14. 26 Oct '13 05:22
    Originally posted by normbenign
    In every country and company there is tremendous intellectual capital that is squandered, misused, or lost altogether.
    Yes, another important thing is identifying, developing and empowering the brainy ones. But a larger pool is better than a smaller one.
  15. 26 Oct '13 06:49
    Bite it, World:

Of course only the percentage is relevant, but maybe you need some brainpower to understand that.