Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    26 Apr '18 01:543 edits
    No one uses the N word when talking about a black person anymore and rightfully so.

    So why do Black people still call white people "Cracker"? I even here them say it on tv constantly! I can't imaging a worse thing to say to a white person or worse case of derogatory ethnic slur language based on a historical stereotype. Why the double standard?

    ("Cracker" refers to a white slave owner that used to whip his black slaves. The sound a whip would make was a "crack" as it snapped and hit a person's back. So, the white person wielding the whip was called a "cracker"...ie "one who cracks the whip" )
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    26 Apr '18 02:193 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    um, so as long as black people don't find using cracker as offensive, then it's ok? Is that the message you are going with here? Only black people can know what is offensive?

    I'm confused because in the other thread, you guys are saying APU is a racist character even though white people don't think he is...

    Which side of your mouth are you speaking with today?
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    26 Apr '18 02:24
    Originally posted by @uzless
    I'm confused because in the other thread, you guys are saying APU is a racist character even though white people don't think he is...
    Are white people the final authority on what's considered racist?
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    65514
    26 Apr '18 02:26
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so farking what."

    Stephen Fry
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    65514
    26 Apr '18 02:331 edit
    Originally posted by @uzless
    The sound a whip would make was a "crack" as it snapped and hit a person's back.
    You've been watching too much tv. The 'crack' sound is the tip of the whip breaking the sound barrier, it is not from the tip contacting a surface.

    Sounds dramatic though.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    26 Apr '18 02:44
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    You've been watching too much tv. The 'crack' sound is the tip of the whip breaking the sound barrier, it is not from the tip contacting a surface.

    Sounds dramatic though.
    Both wrong:

    https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/07/01/197644761/word-watch-on-crackers

    The word was used to describe Celtic immigrants who moved to the southern U.S., perceived to be unruly.
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    65514
    26 Apr '18 02:51
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Both wrong:

    https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/07/01/197644761/word-watch-on-crackers

    The word was used to describe Celtic immigrants who moved to the southern U.S., perceived to be unruly.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipcracking

    The crack a whip makes is produced when a section of the whip moves faster than the speed of sound creating a small sonic boom. The creation of the sonic boom was confirmed in 1958 [1] by analyzing the high-speed shadow photography taken in 1927.[2][3]
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    26 Apr '18 02:55
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipcracking

    The crack a whip makes is produced when a section of the whip moves faster than the speed of sound creating a small sonic boom. The creation of the sonic boom was confirmed in 1958 [1] by analyzing the high-speed shadow photography taken in 1927.[2][3]
    So you posted a link about some activity and are assuming some vague correlation between that and a racial slur, rather than regard a highly respected journalistic publication.

    Thanks.
  9. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    65514
    26 Apr '18 03:01
    Originally posted by @vivify
    So you posted a link about some activity and are assuming some vague correlation between that and a racial slur, rather than regard a highly respected journalistic publication.

    Thanks.
    I was replying to the assertion that the 'crack' was from the whip as it hit a persons back.

    Not that the word 'crack' had anything to do with the word cracker.

    You need to calm down.
  10. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    26 Apr '18 03:22
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Are white people the final authority on what's considered racist?
    Funny...that quote was in response to your quote that was deleted because you said only black people know what racism is......😞
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    26 Apr '18 03:251 edit
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    I was replying to the assertion that the 'crack' was from the whip as it hit a persons back.

    Not that the word 'crack' had anything to do with the word cracker.

    You need to calm down.
    Does ANYONE have anything at all to say related to explain why black people call white people "Crackers" when they want to be pejorative toward white people?
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    26 Apr '18 03:27
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Both wrong:

    https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/07/01/197644761/word-watch-on-crackers

    The word was used to describe Celtic immigrants who moved to the southern U.S., perceived to be unruly.
    Yes, black people call white people crackers because they are referring to celtic immigrants....

    "Shut up you Celtic Immigrant!" Really? REALLY? Good grief. Another wasted post from vivify 😞
  13. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    56264
    26 Apr '18 03:47
    Originally posted by @uzless
    No one uses the N word when talking about a black person anymore and rightfully so.

    So why do Black people still call white people "Cracker"? I even here them say it on tv constantly! I can't imaging a worse thing to say to a white person or worse case of derogatory ethnic slur language based on a historical stereotype. Why the double standard?

    ("Cr ...[text shortened]... So, the white person wielding the whip was called a "cracker"...ie "one who cracks the whip" )
    In Scotland calling someone is cracker means he’s crazy or very funny.

    Crazy comes from cracker-jack.
    Cracker as funny comes from “crack” being a good (albeit it rather tall) story.

    I didn’t know there was a whole own US meaning to it.
  14. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    26 Apr '18 04:211 edit
    Originally posted by @shavixmir


    I didn’t know there was a whole own US meaning to it.
    In his 1964 speech "The Ballot or the Bullet", Malcolm X used the term "cracker" in reference to white people in a pejorative context. In one passage, he remarked, "It's time for you and me to stop sitting in this country, letting some cracker senators, Northern crackers and Southern crackers, sit there in Washington, D.C., and come to a conclusion in their mind that you and I are supposed to have civil rights. There's no white man going to tell me anything about my rights."

    On November 29, 1993, in a speech given at Kean College in New Jersey, Nation of Islam spokesman Khallid Abdul Muhammad called Pope John Paul II "a no good cracker"

    On June 27, 2013, in the trial of George Zimmerman, concerning the shooting of Trayvon Martin, a witness under examination (Rachel Jeantel) testified that Martin said (on the phone) to her that a "creepy ass cracker is following me" minutes before the altercation between Martin and Zimmerman occurred. That testimony and response brought about both media and public debate about the use of the word "cracker". A CNN report referenced the regional nature of the term, noting that cracker is regarded as a "sharp racial insult that resonates with white southerners even if white northerners don't get it".

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_(pejorative)
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    26 Apr '18 08:341 edit
    are you seriously debating if a word used by slave owners to refer to their man-things , property they could sell, rape, beat, kill, work to death, kidnap, is as offensive as "cracker", a word used for poor whites (poor means you are definitely not a slave) or for whites that used to crack their whips over the above mentioned slaves?


    Have you lost your god damned frickin minds?
Back to Top