Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber no1marauderonline
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Dec '10 21:16
    Incredibly. a majority (52 of Republicans actually believe that God created humans within the last 10,000 years (presumably in the Garden of Eden).
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40732028/ns/technology_and_science-science/

    Overall the percentage was a still depressing 40% though it was at least a much lower 34% of Democrats and Independents.

    A question: How can one possibly discuss things like global warming with people who are so willfully ignorant about the most basic science knowledge?
  2. 18 Dec '10 21:37
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Incredibly. a majority (52 of Republicans actually believe that God created humans within the last 10,000 years (presumably in the Garden of Eden).
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40732028/ns/technology_and_science-science/

    Overall the percentage was a still depressing 40% though it was at least a much lower 34% of Democrats and Independ ...[text shortened]... global warming with people who are so willfully ignorant about the most basic science knowledge?
    This is a misleading OP ,as usual for you. And this is a bullchit poll. For example, You can be a creationist and not believe humans are only 10,000yrs old.To say 52% of republicans believe God created humans with in the last 10,000 years is a crock!

    If you're in a room of 100 people, odds are likely about 40 think God created humans about 10,000 years ago, part of a philosophy called creationism, according to a Gallup poll reported Friday (Dec. 17). That number is slightly lower than in years past and down from a high of 47 percent in both 1993 and 1999.
    And 38 percent of Americans, the poll estimates, believe God guided the process that brought humans from "cavemen" to today's incarnation over millions of years, while 16 percent think humans evolved over millions of years, without any divine intervention.
    This secular view, while a relatively small number, is up from 9 percent in 1982, according to Gallup.
    Like most American attitudes, Gallup wrote, views on human origins have political consequences. For instance, debates and clashes over which explanations for human origins should be included in school textbooks have persisted for decades. And with 40 percent of Americans continuing to hold to an anti-evolutionary belief about the origin of humans, it is highly likely that these types of debates will continue, according to Gallup.
    The findings also stand in stark contrast to another announcement Friday, this one by John Holdren, director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy. The memo was issued to federal science agencies to guide them in making rules to ensure scientific integrity.
    The Gallup results are based on telephone interviews conducted Dec. 10-12 with a random sample of 1,019 adults, ages 18 and older, living in the continental United States. The findings were weighted by gender, age, race, education, religion and phone lines to make the sample nationally representative.
    Americans' views on human origins varied significantly by level of education and religion, the poll found. Those with less education were more likely to hold a creationist view that God created life thousands of years ago, while college graduates were more likely to hold one of the two viewpoints involving evolution.
    Perhaps unsurprisingly, Americans who attend church frequently were most likely to accept explanations for the origin of humans that involve God. Still, the creationist viewpoint, which was held by 60 percent of weekly churchgoers, wasn't universal even among the most highly religious group. Also, about a fourth of those who seldom or never attend church choose the creationist view.
    A significantly higher percentage of Republicans indicated a creationist view of human origins, which Gallup experts say reflects in part the strong relationship between religion and politics in contemporary America. Republicans are also significantly more likely to attend church weekly than are others. Democrats and Independents showed similar views on human origins:
    Republicans: 36 percent think humans evolved through a God-guided process; 8 percent say God had no part in the process; and 52 percent held the creationist view.
    Democrats: 40 percent agree with evolution through a God-guided process; 20 percent say God had no part in the process; and 34 percent held the creationist view.
    Independents: 39 percent agree with evolution through a God-guided process; 21 percent say God had no part in the process; and 34 percent held the creationist view.
    advertisement | ad info

    Gallup officials wrote that it's not surprising some 80 percent of Americans hold a view of human origins that involves God, since most Americans believe in God and about 85 percent identify with a religion.
  3. Subscriber no1marauderonline
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Dec '10 21:41 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    [/b]This is a misleading OP ,as usual for you. And this is a bullchit poll. For example, You can be a creationist and not believe humans are only 10,000yrs old.To say 52% of republicans believe God created humans with in the last 10,000 years is a crock!

    If you're in a room of 100 people, odds are likely about 40 think God created huma ince most Americans believe in God and about 85 percent identify with a religion.
    Are you illiterate? That's EXACTLY what the article and poll said.

    52% of Republicans agreed with the following statement:

    God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/145286/Four-Americans-Believe-Strict-Creationism.aspx
  4. 18 Dec '10 21:46
    More evidence the US should improve its education.
  5. 18 Dec '10 21:50
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Are you illiterate? That's EXACTLY what the article and poll said.

    52% of Republicans agreed with the following statement:

    God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/145286/Four-Americans-Believe-Strict-Creationism.aspx
    Where moron? The article is right here the top of the page! I see that no where.
  6. Subscriber no1marauderonline
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Dec '10 21:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Where moron? The article is right here the top of the page! I see that no where.
    Follow the link I just gave, a**hole. The article cited in the OP is a summary of the Gallup poll results which are given in the link provided.

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/145286/Four-Americans-Believe-Strict-Creationism.aspx

    There's a table half way down the page breaking the results out by party affiliation, jerk.
  7. 18 Dec '10 22:03
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Follow the link I just gave, a**hole. The article cited in the OP is a summary of the Gallup poll results which are given in the link provided.

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/145286/Four-Americans-Believe-Strict-Creationism.aspx

    There's a table half way down the page breaking the results out by party affiliation, jerk.
    Listen here, my little cyber bully.
    You started a OP.
    With a link to MSNBC about a poll backing your claim that 52% of Republicans believe mankind is no more than 10,000 yrs old.
    As absurd as this poll is nowheres does it say that according to the link you provided.
    Now you add a new differnt link?!
    You're busted. You're full of crap. Your OP is full of crap get over it.:'(
  8. 18 Dec '10 22:15
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Listen here, my little cyber bully.
    You started a OP.
    With a link to MSNBC about a poll backing your claim that 52% of Republicans believe mankind is no more than 10,000 yrs old.
    As absurd as this poll is nowheres does it say that according to the link you provided.
    Now you add a new differnt link?!
    You're busted. You're full of crap. Your OP is full of crap get over it.:'(
    The Gallup poll link clearly states 52% of Republicans think God created man about 10,000 years ago.
  9. 18 Dec '10 22:24
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Incredibly. a majority (52 of Republicans actually believe that God created humans within the last 10,000 years (presumably in the Garden of Eden).
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40732028/ns/technology_and_science-science/

    Overall the percentage was a still depressing 40% though it was at least a much lower 34% of Democrats and Independ ...[text shortened]... global warming with people who are so willfully ignorant about the most basic science knowledge?
    Global warming is the biggest crisis since the approaching ice age!!!!!!!

    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1663607/posts


    In January of 2006, Gore said we only have 10 years left to save the Earth from becoming a frying pan.

    We now have about 5 years, one month and 10 days... there's plenty of time.

    Ted Danson, who has every bit as much credibility as Algore when it comes to science, said the same thing back in 1988.

    How's that Chevy Volt working for you? It was Motor Trend's car of the year, you know... just like the 1971 Chevy Vega...
  10. 18 Dec '10 22:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The Gallup poll link clearly states 52% of Republicans think God created man about 10,000 years ago.
    I will play your game. I looked at the new link and it is misleading. It says,"which of the following statements comes closest to your views..."
    Next as i stated earlier you can believe man came about by design (created) and in no way believe it was less than 10,000 yrs ago.
    The poll does not allow for that does it? You get 3 questions and you gotta say which is closest to your belief.
    Its misleading to say 52% of Republicans say mankind is less than 10,000yrs old.
  11. 18 Dec '10 22:51
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I will play your game. I looked at the new link and it is misleading. It says,"which of the following statements comes closest to your views..."
    Next as i stated earlier you can believe man came about by design (created) and in no way believe it was less than 10,000 yrs ago.
    The poll does not allow for that does it? You get 3 questions and you gott ...[text shortened]... your belief.
    Its misleading to say 52% of Republicans say mankind is less than 10,000yrs old.
    Well, since 100% of people should have answered man evolved without divine intervention I don't see why it matters, really.
  12. 18 Dec '10 23:05
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, since 100% of people should have answered man evolved without divine intervention I don't see why it matters, really.
    take it too "spirituality" spanky
  13. 18 Dec '10 23:09
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    More evidence the US should improve its education.
    Well, every time anyone comes up with proposals about how the US could improve its education system, they get shouted down because they violate some constitutional provision or other.
  14. Standard member Soothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    18 Dec '10 23:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I will play your game. I looked at the new link and it is misleading. It says,"which of the following statements comes closest to your views..."
    Next as i stated earlier you can believe man came about by design (created) and in no way believe it was less than 10,000 yrs ago.
    The poll does not allow for that does it? You get 3 questions and you gott ...[text shortened]... your belief.
    Its misleading to say 52% of Republicans say mankind is less than 10,000yrs old.
    I don't get this. How can there be a goddamn debate here? What is it about the "conservatives" on this forum that makes them seem illiterate if not outright nonsentient? Or is this just some kind of absurd game?

    It is all right here on Gallup's own site:

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/145286/Four-Americans-Believe-Strict-Creationism.aspx

    Scroll half-way (that's 50 percent) down, and there it IS: 52% of Republicans agree that the statement "God created humans in their present form in the last 10,000 years" comes closest to their views on the origin and development of human beings.
  15. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    18 Dec '10 23:18
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Well, every time anyone comes up with proposals about how the US could improve its education system, they get shouted down because they violate some constitutional provision or other.
    Perhaps such an education system is 'protected' by those, going from the above stats, that are really rather too tied up in their own religion, a tad naive maybe or perhaps a better word is insular.