Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 01 Jan '10 09:31 / 1 edit

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/Now-temperatures-hit-minus-18C.5944667.jp

Now temperatures hit minus 18º

Date: 30 December 2009
    By John Ross
    SCOTLAND remained in the grip of a deep freeze yesterday with snow and ice disrupting travel on roads, rail and air.
    Temperatures plunged to -18C at Braemar in Aberdeenshire – the coldest night so far this winter.

At Tyndrum in Stirlingshire the mercury dropped to -17C while at Strathallan in Perthshire it was -16C.

Flights were delayed or cancelled as snow c
    ADVERTISEMENTlosed Inverness Airport yesterday morning, although it opened later.

Sub zero temperatures also caused disruption on the railways, with a number of ScotRail's Glasgow Central services, including those to Ayr, Largs, Ardrossan Harbour and Wemyss Bay, reduced.

The Met Office issued weather warnings for roads in Strathclyde, Tayside and Fife, Central and south-west Scotland, and Lothian and Borders, while Transport Scotland said routes across the country were affected by icy conditions.

(comment)

sceptic,30/12/2009 08:55:43
    Oh ye of little faith. Forget all this snow and frost nonsense. Listen to our experts at the Met Office.Here is what they said at the start of the Millenium
    “Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past”. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia, within a few years winter snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event”.

2. 01 Jan '10 09:34
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADBF&q=%E2%80%9CSnowfalls+are+now+just+a+thing+of+the+past%E2%80%9D&start=10&sa=N
  3. 01 Jan '10 09:49
    Well, by now I don't think there is any need to attack the credibility of the CRU of the Univ. of East Anglia.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Jan '10 10:13
    Who is "sceptic"? Is he a meteorologist or some other kind of climatologist?

"sceptic" - I wonder if he'll change his screen name if ever he were to change his mind or, The Great Snowman In The Sky forbid, if he were to encounter evidence that his preconceptions cannot compute - has got it wrong. Deliberately perhaps? I wonder why you trust him as your source, zeeblebot. And if we can't trust him, I wonder why you cut and paste his inaccurate speculations and disinformation here?

"Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past" was coined by a journalist called Charles Onians. It isn't what Dr David Viner said. As you well know, I think. Nor was it the prediction of the CRU, again, you knew this I reckon. Nor was it what the "Met Office" said. Presumably you knew that too when you cut, but then you pasted anyway.

My mother - who doesn't have a screen name for blogging, but if she did, I'd like to think she was "mother" if the name is still available - was on the phone on Christmas Day and she said that, where she lives, the White Christmas (snow falling on the day itself) of 2009 was the first one since 1999. That's a decade without snow on 25th December. Indeed, for many, traditional snowfalls in the U.K. have become both “a very rare and exciting event” and, when it does come, it's totally extreme and causes all manner of problems. This all lends a certain amount of credence to Dr David Viner's prediction.

See if you can dig up the analysis of sceptical scientists published in 2000. Spare us the concocted witterings of anonymous bloggers.

zeeblebot 'busted', yet again.
  5. 01 Jan '10 10:43
    ok, too late to change the title, here is the edited title:

CRU, 2000: snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event”.

happy?

re your mom, a few years ago on a christmas trip home i experienced the first snowfall in my hometown for almost exactly 100 years. the fields were white!

re "sceptic":

(zeeblebot pushes <FN1> )

he/her has at least as much credibility as an anonymous poster named "FMF"!
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Jan '10 11:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    ok, too late to change the title
    Yes it is too late to change the title. So you're busted. Deception in the OP itself, yet again.

Got the links to back up the alleged quotes from the U.K. Met Office that "sceptic" mentioned and which you cited in your cut and paste?

No, I don't suppose so.

Or are you cutting "sceptic" loose now, and sparing us his further thoughts?
  7. 01 Jan '10 11:22
    no, and here are the links:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADBF&q=%E2%80%9CSnowfalls+are+now+just+a+thing+of+the+past%E2%80%9D+&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Results 1 - 10 of about 490 for “Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past”.
  8. 01 Jan '10 11:25 / 1 edit
    490!

here is the original article.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past

By Charles Onians

Monday, 20 March 2000

Britain's winter ends tomorrow with further indications of a striking environmental change: snow is starting to disappear from our lives.

Sledges, snowmen, snowballs and the excitement of waking to find that the stuff has settled outside are all a rapidly diminishing part of Britain's culture, as warmer winters - which scientists are attributing to global climate change - produce not only fewer white Christmases, but fewer white Januaries and Februaries.

The first two months of 2000 were virtually free of significant snowfall in much of lowland Britain, and December brought only moderate snowfall in the South-east. It is the continuation of a trend that has been increasingly visible in the past 15 years: in the south of England, for instance, from 1970 to 1995 snow and sleet fell for an average of 3.7 days, while from 1988 to 1995 the average was 0.7 days. London's last substantial snowfall was in February 1991.

Global warming, the heating of the atmosphere by increased amounts of industrial gases, is now accepted as a reality by the international community. Average temperatures in Britain were nearly 0.6°C higher in the Nineties than in 1960-90, and it is estimated that they will increase by 0.2C every decade over the coming century. Eight of the 10 hottest years on record occurred in the Nineties.

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said.

David Parker, at the Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research in Berkshire, says ultimately, British children could have only virtual experience of snow. Via the internet, they might wonder at polar scenes - or eventually "feel" virtual cold.

Heavy snow will return occasionally, says Dr Viner, but when it does we will be unprepared. "We're really going to get caught out. Snow will probably cause chaos in 20 years time," he said.

9. 01 Jan '10 11:26

where have we heard this before?!?

---

"Eight of the 10 hottest years on record occurred in the Nineties."
  10. 01 Jan '10 11:29
    now, i guess it makes sense for someone lurking in the wilds of indonesia to fall for this AGW rubbish hook, line, and sinker .... but what if you're in the UK right about now? fancy a streak in the park?
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Jan '10 11:30
    490!
    490 Google hits on something that you misrepresented in your OP? So what?

Here is the 'evidence' you supplied in the OP:

"sceptic": "Listen to our experts at the Met Office.Here is what they said at the start of the Millenium “Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past”.

Can you back up this claim, i.e. your claim, about the Met Office's prediction with any links?

No. You can't. Because you cut and pasted someone else's fib from another web site. Do you stand by "sceptic"'s claim about the U.K. Met Office?
  12. 01 Jan '10 11:34
    do you understand that “Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past” IS the headline of the article sceptic is quoting, and that Viner's quote from within the article DOES appear after Viner's name, in sceptic's post?
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Jan '10 11:37
    do you understand that “Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past” IS the headline of the article sceptic is quoting, and that Viner's quote from within the article DOES appear after Viner's name, in sceptic's post?
    You've been busted, as anyone will see, above. And now you are squirming.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Jan '10 11:41 / 2 edits
    now, i guess it makes sense for someone lurking in the wilds of indonesia to fall for this AGW rubbish hook, line, and sinker ....
    You claim that the CRU said “Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past” in 2000. It's not true.

You cite "sceptic" who claims that the U.K. Met Office said “Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past” in 2000. It's not true.

Your OP is in tatters.
  15. 01 Jan '10 11:46
    sceptic just posted the headline in quotes. no biggie.

did you note quotes from Viner re: snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event". "Children just aren't going to know what snow is,"?