Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 17:51
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/16/sweden-man-free-festival-comes-fire/
  2. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 21:31
    Originally posted by @kquinn909
    No real surprise to find the neofascist kquinn909 backing another right wing media attack on feminists, while using the thread title to belittle yet again one of the few feminists on this forum. Steady harassment being a key device to push them away from a fascist dominated space.
  3. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 22:10
    Originally posted by @kquinn909
    Clearly I'm missing something. What are these women trying to accomplish? Their purpose seems a bit obscure.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 22:37
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Clearly I'm missing something. What are these women trying to accomplish? Their purpose seems a bit obscure.
    Relying on the Telegraph will not help clarify anything but I understand the concept is a simple one - a festival for women.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Sep '17 17:481 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill to Kquinn909
    "Clearly I'm missing something."
    --Mchill

Such as basic reading comprehension.

"Their purpose seems a bit obscure."
    --Mchill

The cited article has a CLEAR EXPLANATION of this musical festival's raison d'être.

"Statement Festival was created by the comedian Emma Knyckare in response to
    reports of sexual assaults at other music festivals in the country."

"All men are not rapists, but almost all rapes are carried out by men.
    We want to create a free space, a cool festival where women can be without feeling worried."
    --Emma Knyckare

Clearly, this festival is designed as a venue where women can enjoy the music without
    having to be worried about being sexually assaulted or harassed by men. How awful! (sarcasm)

Some men (like Kquinn909) may object to this concept because they dislike seeing men
    deprived of their ('natural' ) opportunities to sexually assault or harass more women.
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Sep '17 17:511 edit
    'D64' is ECO code for this opening: QGD; Orthodox Defence, Rubinstein Attack (with Rc1).

It's a fairly conservative choice, not one of my alluring 'short skirt' (sarcasm) opening choices .
    Sometimes I try more revealing sexy openings to provoke my opponents into attacking me.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Sep '17 17:59
    Originally posted by @Finnegan to Kquinn909
    No real surprise to find the neofascist kquinn909 backing another right wing media attack on feminists, while using the thread title to belittle yet again one of the few feminists on this forum. Steady harassment being a key device to push them away from a fascist dominated space.
    Sexism or misogyny may be more common among 'conservative' men, but they are far from absent from 'liberal' men.

At least two extremely arrogant and misinformed 'liberal' white men here have condescendingly
    'informed' me that they comprehend 'feminism' much better than I do or can.
    It's common for sexist men to pretend that they know more than women about women's issues.

No individual woman alone can define feminism in part because no individual woman
    alone can absorb all the culturally diverse experiences of womanhood, including sexism.
    Yet we women collectively can define feminism, though many men surely can do it better for us (sarcasm).
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '17 18:13
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Sexism or misogyny may be more common among 'conservative' men, but they are far from absent from 'liberal' men.

At least two extremely arrogant and misinformed 'liberal' white men here have condescendingly
    It's common for sexist men to pretend that they know more than women ...[text shortened]... omen collectively can define feminism, though many men surely can do it better for us (sarcasm).
    The self proclaimed expert has once again declared that she knows more than all others and that those who dare to not bow down and recognize her superiority are labeled extremely arrogant and misinformed.
  9. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    20 Sep '17 18:39
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    The self proclaimed expert has once again declared that she knows more than all others and that those who dare to not bow down and recognize her superiority are labeled extremely arrogant and misinformed.
    Well her actual words are worth verifying here, since they include "No individual woman alone can define feminism in part because no individual woman alone can absorb all the culturally diverse experiences of womanhood, including sexism. Yet we women collectively can define feminism,

Somehow the facts do not fit with your complaint. That is the opposite of a claim that she personally knows more than all others, since her actual words can only mean the opposite.

By its nature, of course, the primary aim of feminism is to give women a voice, and it is noticeable that men so often become thoroughly agitated at the prospect of being silenced on any topic whatsoever, including the nature of female experience, a topic on which men are by definition ill qualified to speak.

There is nothing arrogant in saying that men are not qualified to define feminism nor to articulate a feminist position on any topic under the sun. It is just that, if the opinion expressed is a male opinion, then it is not possible that it can be a feminist opinion.

It's either a male opinion or a feminist opinion - do you not see the dichotomy here?
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Sep '17 18:41
    So the rape apologist Quackquack apparently pretends that he understands women better than I can.
    Is that how Quackquack can 'know' that a woman has consented even when she's never said 'yes'?

"The self proclaimed expert has once again declared that she knows more than all others ..."
    --Quackquack

It depends upon the subject. I never have claimed that I know more than DeepThought
    or KazetNagorra about physics. I do know more than everyone else here about *some*
    historical subjects (in which I have taken a special interest). In contrast to almost all
    other writers here, I know what it feels like to experience life *not* as a white man.

Some extremely arrogant sexist men here like to act as though they understand much
    better than women do what women's lives, experiences, and conversations really mean.
    But none of them has ever experienced life as a woman or engaged in women's conversations.
    Women already know what to think of such men.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Sep '17 18:56
    Originally posted by @Finnegan to Quackquack
    Well her actual words are worth verifying here, since they include "[b]No individual woman alone can define feminism in part because no individual woman alone can absorb all the culturally diverse experiences of womanhood, including sexism. Yet we women collectively can define feminism,

Somehow the facts do no ...[text shortened]... inion.

It's either a male opinion or a feminist opinion - do you not see the dichotomy here?[/b]
    Women need some public spaces where we can feel safe (or at least safer) and validated.
    Many men seem extremely threatened by having women feel free to speak honestly,
    particularly about men. So these men like to encroach upon, if not force their way into,
    our spaces, both in public discourse and often (sigh) our intimately violable bodies.
    Men's violation of women's public spaces may be an extension of their urge to rape.

Here's the most famous statement from Susan Brownmiller's landmark, though flawed, book on rape.

"[Rape is] nothing more or less than a conscious process of intimidation by which
    all men keep all women in a state of fear.”
    ―Susan Brownmiller (_Against Our Will: Men, Women and Rape_)

In spirit, though not in law, rape need not be a carnal violation. Other forms of violation
    may be about as effective in silencing women and keep them under men's control.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Sep '17 19:053 edits

It's common for sexist men to pretend that they know more than women ...[text shortened]... omen collectively can define feminism, though many men surely can do it better for us (sarcasm).
    "Zahlanzi doesn't understand women's issues better than women do.
    Zahlanzi just understands them better than Duchess, a bitter and weak debater with a persecution complex."
    --Zahlanzi

Zahlanzi's an extremely arrogant fool who's willfully blind to his own racism and sexism.
    His preferred method of 'winning' debates is 'proof by sheer assertion'.

Perhaps Sonhouse (who has described me as 'profound' ) can notice Zahlanzi's extreme
    defensiveness and insecurity when confronted by a woman who's much more intelligent.
    That reflects Zahlanzi's core sexism, his assumption of superiority over women who challenge him.

As far as I can tell, I doubt that any writer *truly respects* Zahlanzi as a *thoughtful* writer
    of substance, though some writers have found him to be a useful ally on occasion.
    (If I recall correctly, FMF (no friend of mine) described Zahlanzi as a 'lightweight'.)
    Zahlanzi typically just keeps repeating his 'points' tirelessly, seldom appearing able to
    learn or to change his methods of argument.
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '17 20:09
    So the rape apologist Quackquack apparently pretends that he understands women better than I can.
    Is that how Quackquack can 'know' that a woman has consented even when she's never said 'yes'?

"The self proclaimed expert has once again declared that she knows more than all others ..."
    --Quackquack

It depends upon the subject. I never have claime ...[text shortened]... e as a woman or engaged in women's conversations.
    Women already know what to think of such men.
    To use one of your favorite phrases apparently Duchess has poor reading comprehension. I never said I spoke for women, neither you nor I speak for anyone but ourselves. I merely was responding to your criticism of Zahlanzi and how someone feel superior to him or that you can better speak on issues than him. Your opinions aren't inherently superior to those of his or anyone else and often you are just an abrasive bigoted fool.
  14. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '17 20:12
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    Well her actual words are worth verifying here, since they include "[b]No individual woman alone can define feminism in part because no individual woman alone can absorb all the culturally diverse experiences of womanhood, including sexism. Yet we women collectively can define feminism,

Somehow the facts do not fit with you ...[text shortened]... inion.

It's either a male opinion or a feminist opinion - do you not see the dichotomy here?[/b]
    I do not share your sexist view that one gender can define a philosophy better than another. I never claimed to speak for anyone other than myself. But i see no reason why Zahlanzi or you can't discuss feminism as well (or as poorly) as Duchess.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Sep '17 20:19
    To use one of your favorite phrases apparently Duchess has poor reading comprehension. I never said I spoke for women, neither you nor I speak for anyone but ourselves. I merely was responding to your criticism of Zahlanzi and how someone feel superior to him or that you can better speak on issues than him. Your opinions aren't inherently superior to those of his or anyone else and often you are just an abrasive bigoted fool.
    The lying troll Quackquack keeps putting words into my mouth and attacking 'strawmen'.

"Duchess has made it clear that she is more interested in convictions {for rape]
    then fair procedures and perhaps you [Zahlanzi] are too."
    --Quackquack

Again, can Quackquack QUOTE what I wrote and in exactly what context about that?