Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 16:00
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Yes American politicians are famously devoted to their constituents and beyond all influence. Interest groups? Unheard of.
    There was a large grassroots movement in NYC to get people to call Schumer's office and discuss the Iran deal. I didn't call myself for various reasons, but many people I know did. Schumer's office was staffed with people (probably volunteers) who would spend 5-10 minutes on the phone with constituents discussing the issue. My uncle called and I listened on speakerphone last Tuesday and my uncle and the staffer has a nice conversation. At the outset, my uncle said "Listen, if it's just an issue of counting pro or con, let me know and I'll vote con and hang up." The staffer said "no, I want to discuss the issue with the Senator's constituents and I'll report back to him on the ideas that people are presenting."

I give Schumer's office a lot of credit for how they handled this. Of course I don't know the exact turning point in his decision making process, but I think it's very possible the phone calls mattered.
  2. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 18:38
    Originally posted by sh76
    There was a large grassroots movement in NYC to get people to call Schumer's office and discuss the Iran deal. I didn't call myself for various reasons, but many people I know did. Schumer's office was staffed with people (probably volunteers) who would spend 5-10 minutes on the phone with constituents discussing the issue. My uncle called and I listened on spe ...[text shortened]... g point in his decision making process, but I think it's very possible the phone calls mattered.
    Sounds interesting. If you call, refer him to our debates. Maybe he will see sense.
  3. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    09 Aug '15 18:53
    There was a large grassroots movement in NYC to get people to call Schumer's office and discuss the Iran deal. I didn't call myself for various reasons, but many people I know did. Schumer's office was staffed with people (probably volunteers) who would spend 5-10 minutes on the phone with constituents discussing the issue. My uncle called and I listened on spe ...[text shortened]... g point in his decision making process, but I think it's very possible the phone calls mattered.
    Do you seriously think there was ever a chance that Chuck Schumer would support anything the Israeli government opposed? Has he ever done so in the past?
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    10 Aug '15 01:48
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Do you seriously think there was ever a chance that Chuck Schumer would support anything the Israeli government opposed? Has he ever done so in the past?
    Rather than turn on President Obama? Yes, I thought he would probably stick with Obama and support the deal.
  5. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    10 Aug '15 04:26
    Rather than turn on President Obama? Yes, I thought he would probably stick with Obama and support the deal.
    I'm surprised you would think that.

Chuck might have faced such a difficult choice if he thought that his vote would be the 67th to override a veto but he knows that it won't come to that. He panders to his base and does no real harm to Obama's policy.
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    10 Aug '15 13:09
    Jewish politician welcomes calls from Jewish voters who want him to support a zionist policy in relation to a muslim country, although this is not in the interests of the secular nation on the opposite side of the globe in which he happens to be part of the elected government. It is in the alleged interests of a violent movement within a foreign nation that extracts some $3bn annually in American taxpayers' money to fund a war machine which will continue to function entirely outside international legal restraints and with minimal deference to its American donors. Nice deal (for the zionist movement) if you can get it. Jewish voter warmly applauds his concern for the wishes of his Jewish constituents. Democracy at work. Meanwhile European allies are threatened with sanctions unless they accept the American decision. Obv the US owes nothing to its allies who helped negotiate a deal with Iran. It is too busy pleasing Netanyahu.