Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 01 May '14 10:34 / 2 edits
    I suspect there are many issues here, constitutional, the secrecy of the drug companies who supply the drugs, its effectiveness and the latest case where a mans veins ruptured.

    Our American cousins despite retaining the death penalty seem to have difficulty in administering it. I have recently read a book in which the American executioners who were employed during the Nuremberg trials were sent home because of botching the job of hanging. Either they made the rope too long and heads came off or it was not long enough and men were left to dangle for twenty minutes before dying. Now my question is this, if we could teach our American friends how to hang people properly what is wrong with hanging? Death is apparently instantaneous when done properly, it costs naught but the price of a new rope and seems to me to be far more humane than strapping someone to a table and injecting them with toxins which may or may not work.

    Please note personally i care not for the death sentence itself, but that's another issue.
  2. 01 May '14 11:41
    And what happened to beheadings? Isn't that much more spectacular for people who enjoy going to executions? The headsman can even wear a Henry VIII-era costume.
  3. 01 May '14 12:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I suspect there are many issues here, constitutional, the secrecy of the drug companies who supply the drugs, its effectiveness and the latest case where a mans veins ruptured.

    Our American cousins despite retaining the death penalty seem to have difficulty in administering it. I have recently read a book in which the American executioners who ...[text shortened]... k.

    Please note personally i care not for the death sentence itself, but that's another issue.
    It would seem that making the hanging rope the proper length might be somewhat more difficult than proper dosage of lethal injections. Body size and weight may have an effect. Of course the same things could be at play with lethal drugs.

    Much the same drugs as are used to euthanize animals do the trick. The subject is relaxed to sleep, and then given the actual lethal dose. This ought to be quite humane, as I was invited to witness my dog being put down. I'm not particularly excited about humanity toward subjects who exhibited none to their victims.

    The real problem with executions is that they don't happen promptly enough. I also think that more prompt appeals, and investigations to uncover exculpatory evidence ought to go along with prompt and proper executions. When a convict spends 15 to 25 years on death row, what is the point? Real life in prison might make more sense.

    At one time executions were very public, I suppose to reinforce the idea or the wrongdoing of the executed in the mind of the public. Now, although the press and mostly anti capital punishment folks attend outside, few actually witness the deed being done.
  4. 01 May '14 13:47 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by normbenign
    It would seem that making the hanging rope the proper length might be somewhat more difficult than proper dosage of lethal injections. Body size and weight may have an effect. Of course the same things could be at play with lethal drugs.

    Much the same drugs as are used to euthanize animals do the trick. The subject is relaxed to sleep, and then give ...[text shortened]... d mostly anti capital punishment folks attend outside, few actually witness the deed being done.
    It would seem that making the hanging rope the proper length might be somewhat more difficult than proper dosage of lethal injections - Normbenign

    Perhaps for our American friends but not for Albert Pierrepoint or Harry Allen who were remarkably efficient and regarded as experts. You have not said why hanging should not be preferred other than to state unconvincingly that it has the same problems as drugs. I dont agree. Hanging if done properly is instantaneous.
  5. 01 May '14 13:52 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    And what happened to beheadings? Isn't that much more spectacular for people who enjoy going to executions? The headsman can even wear a Henry VIII-era costume.
    the problems i suspect with a beheading is that are they not a bit bloody? Death honours no one and killing even less, but public executions give the condemned the opportunity to make a speech and to die bravely. What about Hemlock? it has to be at least as effective and much cheaper than these drugs supplied by our American friends.
  6. 01 May '14 15:37
    Bullets are cheap and effective, of course ropes work too.

    The problem is that people don't want to hurt those who have murdered others.
  7. 01 May '14 16:05
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I suspect there are many issues here, constitutional, the secrecy of the drug companies who supply the drugs, its effectiveness and the latest case where a mans veins ruptured.

    Our American cousins despite retaining the death penalty seem to have difficulty in administering it. I have recently read a book in which the American executioners who ...[text shortened]... k.

    Please note personally i care not for the death sentence itself, but that's another issue.
    I prefer the most inhuman way of killing people imaginable. Just completely remove them from the Nanny state. That means no health care, no welfare, no social security, just evil corporate America left to devour them and their children whole. They will all be dying in the streets begging Obama to save them all.

    Mwhahahaha!!
  8. 01 May '14 16:57
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Bullets are cheap and effective, of course ropes work too.

    The problem is that people don't want to hurt those who have murdered others.
    hanging i think is much more personal than a cold bullet to the brain. The hangman reassures you that it will all be over in a minute. You are allowed a last drink of whisky to calm your nerves (hopefully not a blended whisky or an American one, heaven forbid that! but a nice Islay single malt) You get to reflect upon your sentenced and if public, can make a speech, exonerating your executioners.
  9. 01 May '14 16:57
    Originally posted by whodey
    I prefer the most inhuman way of killing people imaginable. Just completely remove them from the Nanny state. That means no health care, no welfare, no social security, just evil corporate America left to devour them and their children whole. They will all be dying in the streets begging Obama to save them all.

    Mwhahahaha!!
    thats whats happening already you zoob.
  10. 01 May '14 17:36
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    And what happened to beheadings? Isn't that much more spectacular for people who enjoy going to executions? The headsman can even wear a Henry VIII-era costume.
    When some Islamist militants beheaded their Western hostages, many
    outraged Westerners denounced them as 'barbarians', 'evil', etc.
    It's questionable that a Westerner experienced more pain when beheaded,
    however, than many Muslim civilians have experienced when they were
    killed (sometimes tortured first) by Western soldiers in various other ways.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    01 May '14 18:32
    In the Green Mile a sadistic prison warden sabotaged an execution to make it agonizing and horrifying. In Oklahoma nobody knows who did the deed. It might have been deliberate.

    Beheadings are done by cartels in Mexico and skinheads in Russia. The Guillotine was invented to be a scientific humane execution device. The Islamists videotaped and broadcast it though.
  12. 01 May '14 18:55
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    In the Green Mile a sadistic prison warden sabotaged an execution to make it agonizing and horrifying. In Oklahoma nobody knows who did the deed. It might have been deliberate.

    Beheadings are done by cartels in Mexico and skinheads in Russia. The Guillotine was invented to be a scientific humane execution device. The Islamists videotaped and broadcast it though.
    beheading is a messy business to be sure.
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    01 May '14 19:40
    Hire a Jewish or Muslim butcher to cut his throat kosher style.
  14. 01 May '14 20:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Hire a Jewish or Muslim butcher to cut his throat kosher style.
    Even more messy me thinks. Hanging really does appear to be the solution if administered properly.
  15. 01 May '14 20:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Even more messy me thinks. Hanging really does appear to be the solution if administered properly.
    Well then, how do JW's do it? We are all just dying to know!!