Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 23 Jan '18 15:59
    It is with some trepidation that I raise this topic, but anyway...

Without calling anyone out, I notice in my visits to these two RHP forums a sort of dog-whistle reaction in myself to some of the posts I read. I suspect that I am not the only one having this kind of reaction, in fact I can sometimes guess who will react and what they will say (Oh no, not another faith v good works thread, or gun rights thread).

I wonder about this. Is it good for.me to participate in, or even just to read, these predictable exchanges? Does it, or do I, contribute to the community of folks interested in the forum’s topic? Is the advent of Internet forums, on the whole, good for democracy or, for want of a better word, for our souls?

I suppose it’s true that I’ll get out of it what I put into it. Scale back on things. Learn what topics, and which speakers, are worth the time and effort. Keep calm and carry on.
  2. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    23 Jan '18 16:53
    Originally posted by @js357

Without calling anyone out, I notice in my visits to these two RHP forums a sort of dog-whistle reaction in myself to some of the posts I read. I suspect that I am not the only one having this kind of reaction, in fact I can sometimes guess who will react and what they will say (Oh no, not ...[text shortened]... s. Learn what topics, and which speakers, are worth the time and effort. Keep calm and carry on.
    Yes. You are a thoughtful, reasonable contributor. We'd be fortunate to have more posters like you in Debates and Spirituality.
  3. 23 Jan '18 17:11

Without calling anyone out, I notice in my visits to these two RHP forums a sort of dog-whistle reaction in myself to some of the posts I read. I suspect that I am not the only one having this kind of reaction, in fact I can sometimes guess who will react and what they will say (Oh no, not ...[text shortened]... s. Learn what topics, and which speakers, are worth the time and effort. Keep calm and carry on.
    First and foremost, I believe that everyone should feel comfortable expressing their opinion. It is from the mix of opinions, that people can decide how they feel about a topic or appreciate/ understand how different people feel on a topic. I personally think it is really sad, if based on the response(s) of others, you decided not to further post or read others posts. Simply your speech should not be chilled by the behavior of others.
    If on the other hand you feel that the every discussion seems the same (because no new ideas are expressed) then you certainly shouldn't feel bad about stop reading/ posting. No one has an obligation to give their views or see others views. And you should come back if/ when you are intrigued about how people think on certain issues.
  4. 23 Jan '18 20:02 / 1 edit

The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) deleted all its member discussion boards because
    it decided that too many of them had become too acrimonious (or infested by trolls).
    That means that readers no longer have access to many thoughtful contributions.
  5. 23 Jan '18 20:06 / 2 edits

I made the mistake of thinking this was a board (debates) where adult conversation could be had. Didn't take long before I figured that not to be the case. If you cant beat 'em, join 'em, or leave. This is just a liberal cesspool.

example...

https://www.timeforchess.com/forum/debates/republi****.175690
  6. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    23 Jan '18 22:40
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    This is just a liberal cesspool.
    Maybe the solution is to start a Hate Forum.
  7. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    23 Jan '18 23:02
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Let's face it people don't come here to have their minds changed they come here to shout the other fellow down. What can be had from participation is an examination of ones own beliefs, put them to the test, and the result has been for me that I'm more sure than ever that while some folk might have some good suggestions as to how one should live their life not one of them should have any influence through the popular vote on state force.
  8. 23 Jan '18 23:38
    It's a matter of getting your skin thicker and cultivating your filter of information.

And stop caring too much and enjoy yourself.
  9. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    24 Jan '18 11:56
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Some suggested an Insult Forum, which could be the same Thing?

Thread 175628
  10. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    24 Jan '18 11:57
    I made the mistake of thinking this was a board (debates) where adult conversation could be had. Didn't take long before I figured that not to be the case. If you cant beat 'em, join 'em, or leave. This is just a liberal cesspool.

example...

the way to link to a thread is:

Thread 175690

[ threadid]175690[ /threadid] leave out the blanks and you have the link as above.
  11. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    24 Jan '18 12:23

example...

I reckon it’s all an action / reaction thing.

Libtard this and libtard that.
    Eventually you just want to call people republikunts.

But it is what people want. Try having a debate about the anything but large American issues or Brexit... nobody seems interested.
  12. Subscriber moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    24 Jan '18 12:31
    I followed threads in the spirituality forum for about two years and contributed actively to a dozen or so of them. That was when Hinds, KellyJay, and Whitehead were also active there, among others. We had some good discussions. But I found that the same topics were being repeated ad nauseum, the same arguments were being propounded repeatedly, and the same brick wall of resistance was hit over and over. I stopped following the spirituality forum a while ago, and I note the absence of several previously active members. It got too repetitive and too acrimonious for my taste, and too fixated on peculiarly Protestant Fundamentalist issues.
  13. Subscriber kmax87
    Health and Education
    24 Jan '18 14:09
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    We had some good discussions. But I found that the same topics were being repeated ad nauseum, the same arguments were being propounded repeatedly, and the same brick wall of resistance was hit over and over. ....
    The problem is Google. If you were having an across the table discussion with someone, you're stuck with your own lines of thought and you would probably have to concede an argument or two because you don't get to retreat and see how your point might be argued by consulting the interdweebs.

We should have a timed debates like blitz chess. If you start stuttering and umming and arring, you're gone...
  14. Subscriber kmax87
    Health and Education
    24 Jan '18 14:14
    I made the mistake of thinking this was a board (debates) where adult conversation could be had. Didn't take long before I figured that not to be the case. If you cant beat 'em, join 'em, or leave......
    Maybe if you just kept up posting like an adult instead of doing a gutter dive.....
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    24 Jan '18 15:39

It'sh nice to see what other people in other situations are saying and thinking, no matter how much I disagree with some of their sentiments.