Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Apr '18 16:261 edit
    This may have been covered in a previous post, but I've noticed the majority of American lawmakers that are making policy and legislative decisions on abortion rights are older, wealthy men. JMHO - I think these decisions should be made by women, since few men have any first hand knowledge about the details and circumstances women face when making a decision of this kind. Thoughts?
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '18 17:49
    Originally posted by @mchill
    This may have been covered in a previous post, but I've noticed the majority of American lawmakers that are making policy and legislative decisions on abortion rights are older, wealthy men. JMHO - I think these decisions should be made by women, since few men have any first hand knowledge about the details and circumstances women face when making a decision of this kind. Thoughts?
    I'm pro choice but I find this argument ridiculous. Should only criminals decide criminal cases? Should only those accused of sexual assault decide sexual assault cases. Should only policemen decide if a cop acted criminally? Should only a student decide what things a student should learn in class? It is the job of American law makers to make laws in America and it is ridiculous to say take away their power and have certain gender of ethnic decisions made by different groups simply because you'd prefer the result you believe they's come up with.
  3. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    12 Apr '18 18:16
    Maybe the real problem is that American lawmakers consist of older wealthy men.

Start another thread.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Apr '18 19:491 edit
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    I'm pro choice but I find this argument ridiculous. Should only criminals decide criminal cases? Should only those accused of sexual assault decide sexual assault cases. Should only policemen decide if a cop acted criminally? Should only a student decide what things a student should learn in class? It is the job of American law makers to make law ...[text shortened]... made by different groups simply because you'd prefer the result you believe they's come up with.
    I'm pro choice but I find this argument ridiculous. Should only criminals decide criminal cases?

I could agree with this, except for the fact that women (with very few exceptions) are not criminals.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Apr '18 19:58
    I agree with QQ.

That line of reasoning is preposterous.

People elect politicians to make policy decisions for them. Those people have the responsibility to represent all of their constituents.
  6. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Apr '18 19:59
    Originally posted by @sh76
    I agree with QQ.

People elect politicians to make policy decisions for them. Those people have the responsibility to represent all of their constituents.
  7. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Apr '18 20:011 edit

You think so? Just a wild guess. sh76 and quack quack are both males, right? Why am I not surprised they'd think this way.😲

Here is a thought for both of you. If legal decisions regarding male reproductive rights were made solely by women, would you still feel this way?
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '18 20:34

You think so? Just a wild guess. sh76 and quack quack are both males, right? Why am I not surprised they'd think this way.😲

Here is a thought for both of you. If legal decisions regarding male reproductive rights were made solely by women, would you still feel this way?
    Society as a whole, not subgroups make decisions and that is clearly the way it should be. We don't have land owners decide the rate of real estate tax even though they are the only ones who would pay. We don't have people on death row decide death penalty cases even though they are the ones who would be subject to the penalty.
    It is also absurd to think that my gender or race in anyway is relevant to this issue.
  9. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Apr '18 20:56
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    Society as a whole, not subgroups make decisions and that is clearly the way it should be. We don't have land owners decide the rate of real estate tax even though they are the only ones who would pay. We don't have people on death row decide death penalty cases even though they are the ones who would be subject to the penalty.
    It is also absurd to think that my gender or race in anyway is relevant to this issue.
    If legal decisions regarding male reproductive rights were made solely by women, would you still feel this way?

I'm still waiting for an answer.
  10. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '18 21:02
    If legal decisions regarding male reproductive rights were made solely by women, would you still feel this way?

I'm still waiting for an answer.
    I am arguing that legislatures not specific gender groups should make laws. Consistent with that theory I would object to a specific gender group being created to make any law including one on reproductive rights.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    12 Apr '18 21:12
    If people don't want old wealthy men to represent them, they shouldn't vote for them.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Apr '18 22:583 edits
    With abortion, there are many people who believe it's murder of an unborn child. So whether you agree an unborn is a person or not, the pro-life movement has framed this as a human rights issue. To them, it's not a matter of controlling women; that's why stems cells which have already been removed from a woman's body is also a hot-button issue.

Personally, I think abortion should be left entirely up to women. However, I understand why some men feel they should be included in the decision.

But aside from that, there's also logistical matters: how much government money should be given to abortion facilities or to drug companies that make abortions pills (yes, there are pills that can be taken within a certain stage of pregnancy), etc. How government funds should be divided up probably shouldn't be left up to one gender. I would never bar women from being included in legislative issues concerning men's health.

Yet....

It still must be pointed out that men often don't have the best interests of women at heart. Men simply lack empathy when it comes to women's issues. Men would never have started the #MeToo movement; men didn't think highly of women to let them vote. American men decided women needed their husband's permission to own a credit card....as late the '70's. And on and on.

So a quite valid case could definitely be made to let women exclusively decide all legislative issues involving women.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Apr '18 23:08
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra to Mchill
    If people don't want old wealthy men to represent them, they shouldn't vote for them.
    Yes, but rich older men have created a system (which they fight to maintain) that favors them over others.
    If a poor young woman runs against a rich old man for public office, then she's unlikely to
    win except in unusual circumstances.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Apr '18 23:13
    Originally posted by @vivify to Mchill
    With abortion, there are many people who believe it's murder of an unborn child. So whether you agree an unborn is a person or not, the pro-life movement has frame this as a human rights issue. To them, it's not a matter of controlling women; that's why stems cells which have already been removed from a woman's body is also a hot-button issue. ...[text shortened]... could definitely be made to let women exclusively decide all legislative issues involving women.
    "It still must be pointed out that men often don't have the best interests of women at heart."
    --Vivify

What every divorce lawyer already knows.

"Personally, I think abortion should be left entirely up to women."
    --Vivify

It should be noted that not all women become pregnant or ever intend to become pregnant.
    Why should a pious nun (who has vowed to remain celibate) be well-qualified to address
    the experiences and concerns of sexually active women who risk unwanted pregnancies?
  15. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 08:36
    I don’t think old, wealthy men should be allowed to make any decisions.