Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    33344
    18 Nov '17 20:51
    "My definition of a free country is one where it is safe to be unpopular."

    Judged according to Adlai Stevenson's definition, what is the freest country in the world?
  2. Stargazing
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88931
    18 Nov '17 20:53
    Originally posted by @teinosuke
    "My definition of a free country is one where it is safe to be unpopular."

    Judged according to Adlai Stevenson's definition, what is the freest country in the world?
    Based on that definition and assuming that NK don’t manage to execute Trump, I’d say America.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    11095
    18 Nov '17 21:061 edit
    I don't make a habit out of quoting Popes, but:

    "Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought."

    John Paul II

    (In answer to the OP, Switzerland or Denmark would seem to be good contenders).
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    31997
    18 Nov '17 21:31
    Originally posted by @teinosuke
    "My definition of a free country is one where it is safe to be unpopular."

    Judged according to Adlai Stevenson's definition, what is the freest country in the world?
    I'd say England has to be up there; English people are for the most part far too polite to point out when somebody is being an a#&@ole.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    18 Nov '17 22:26
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    I'd say England has to be up there; English people are for the most part far too polite to point out when somebody is being an a#&@ole.
    Just spent 3 weeks in England. 2 in Devon countryside, 1 in London. In rural Devon, lots of 2 lane, even one lane roads between confining hedgerows. Don't recall ever hearing an automobile horn. Quiet civility everywhere.Little diversity.

    London was more like I expect in large cities, but still quite subdued.

    I think they have internalized some rules of manners and civility that we (USers) find to be unduly stifling.
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223271
    18 Nov '17 22:29
    Originally posted by @teinosuke
    "My definition of a free country is one where it is safe to be unpopular."

    Judged according to Adlai Stevenson's definition, what is the freest country in the world?
    Do what you want without harming anyone else.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35854
    18 Nov '17 22:47
    Originally posted by @rbhill
    Do what you want without harming anyone else.
    Republicans in the US seem to get the first part, but continually find themselves stumbling over that second part.
  8. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    19 Nov '17 00:40
    Originally posted by @divegeester to Teinosuke
    Based on that definition and assuming that NK don’t manage to execute Trump, I’d say America.
    Islam is a very unpopular religion in the USA, and Muslims encounter much intolerance, bigotry, or hatred.

    https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/05/11/hate-crimes-against-muslims-us-continue-rise-2016

    "Hate Crimes Against Muslims in US Continue to Rise in 2016"
    -- Laura Pitter (Senior National Security Counsel, US Program)

    Given his own record of Islamophobia (which Proper Knob has noted and condemned),
    Divegeester may be indifferent--at best--toward hate crimes against Muslims in the USA.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    31997
    19 Nov '17 04:12
    Originally posted by @js357
    Just spent 3 weeks in England. 2 in Devon countryside, 1 in London. In rural Devon, lots of 2 lane, even one lane roads between confining hedgerows. Don't recall ever hearing an automobile horn. Quiet civility everywhere.Little diversity.

    London was more like I expect in large cities, but still quite subdued.

    I think they have internalized some rules of manners and civility that we (USers) find to be unduly stifling.
    When one is English one must maintain one's decorum at all times; anything else is just not cricket.

    Whilst on the subject, cricket is the finest sport ever invented. (with the possible exception of rugby union). I shall now press 'post' and retire to a safe place under the table to avoid the verbal brick - bats. (cricket bats, of course)
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    19 Nov '17 04:33
    Originally posted by @teinosuke
    "My definition of a free country is one where it is safe to be unpopular."

    Judged according to Adlai Stevenson's definition, what is the freest country in the world?
    Hmm. Good question.

    What is the definition of a free country?

    1. A nation that does not pass thousands of regulations and laws every year?
    2. A government that is not at continuous war with a free economy?
    3. A country where you don't have to wear a scarlet A for things that you do that are not PC?
    4. A country where you can be born instead of having your parts sold for a profit?
    5. A country where I don't have to be lectured to regarding morality by moral midgets like Hillary or Trump?
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    11095
    19 Nov '17 09:07
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Hmm. Good question.

    What is the definition of a free country?

    1. A nation that does not pass thousands of regulations and laws every year?
    2. A government that is not at continuous war with a free economy?
    3. A country where you don't have to wear a scarlet A for things that you do that are not PC?
    4. A country where you can be born instead of ...[text shortened]... where I don't have to be lectured to regarding morality by moral midgets like Hillary or Trump?
    Why can you never give a good answer to a good question?
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    11095
    19 Nov '17 09:11
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    When one is English one must maintain one's decorum at all times; anything else is just not cricket.

    Whilst on the subject, cricket is the finest sport ever invented. (with the possible exception of rugby union). I shall now press 'post' and retire to a safe place under the table to avoid the verbal brick - bats. (cricket bats, of course)
    As an Englishman I feel culturally obliged to say I like tea and cricket, but secretly much prefer coffee and beach volleyball. (While wearing a cravat, naturally).
  13. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    56393
    19 Nov '17 09:131 edit
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    When one is English one must maintain one's decorum at all times; anything else is just not cricket.

    Whilst on the subject, cricket is the finest sport ever invented. (with the possible exception of rugby union). I shall now press 'post' and retire to a safe place under the table to avoid the verbal brick - bats. (cricket bats, of course)
    Yeah... bouncers in every pub, English tourists abroad are reknown for their good behaviour and football supporters.

    Not to mention terrible racism towards moslims, blacks, Irish, French, German...

    Yeah... if you live in Midsommer and manage to survive the amount of murders.. England’s up there as free.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35854
    19 Nov '17 09:161 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Why can you never give a good answer to a good question?
    Oh, come on, this question was just dying to have whodey come in here and whizz all over it. Just ask him.
  15. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    56393
    19 Nov '17 09:16
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I don't make a habit out of quoting Popes, but:

    "Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought."

    John Paul II

    (In answer to the OP, Switzerland or Denmark would seem to be good contenders).
    Switzerland’s a very strict country. If a straightcoat is freedom, well maybe....
    banks have a lot of Freedom there.

    Denmark has relative freedom. So long as you look like a viking, you’ll be fine.
    Just don’t be Moslim, black or a lost Sami (Laplander).
Back to Top