Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    08 May '13 17:07
    Shocking.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/05/08/dem_congressman_at_benghazi_hearing_death_is_a_part_of_life.html

I don't have the words.
  2. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    08 May '13 17:39
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Shocking.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/05/08/dem_congressman_at_benghazi_hearing_death_is_a_part_of_life.html

I don't have the words.
    May I ask...Why is this shocking? Is death not a part of life?
  3. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    08 May '13 17:50
    Originally posted by bill718
    May I ask...Why is this shocking? Is death not a part of life?
    Please tell me you're not that dense. I give you more credit than that.

You tell me why. Tell me why I, a rabid right-winger, might find this shocking. And then tell me to shove it. But don't insult my intelligence. Or - are you really this dense?
  4. 08 May '13 18:38

You tell me why. Tell me why I, a rabid right-winger, might find this shocking. And then tell me to shove it. But don't insult my intelligence. Or - are you really this dense?
    He's a liberal isn't he? He might just be that 'dense'.
  5. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    08 May '13 18:41
    Originally posted by Eladar
    He's a liberal isn't he? He might just be that 'dense'.
    I actually gasped when I heard the Congressman say this. It took my breath away.
  6. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    08 May '13 18:43

"Death and Life have their determined appointments, riches and honor depend upon heaven." - Confucius

One could interpet this to mean: Death is just as much a part of life as being born...or to live and not have died, is never to have lived at all.

Would you not agree?
  7. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    08 May '13 18:45
    "Death and Life have their determined appointments, riches and honor depend upon heaven." - Confucius

One could interpet this to mean: Death is just as much a part of life as being born...or to live and not have died, is never to have lived at all.

Would you not agree?
    No no. We're not going there right now. You engaged here, so answer the question. Why might I find this shocking? Why might this statement have taken my breath away?
  8. 08 May '13 18:45
    I actually gasped when I heard the Congressman say this. It took my breath away.
    Have you considered seeking professional help? "Death is a part of life" ranks up there with "I'd like a beer" and "KN, you're such a genius" in the least shocking things I've ever heard.
  9. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    08 May '13 18:50
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Have you considered seeking professional help? "Death is a part of life" ranks up there with "I'd like a beer" and "KN, you're such a genius" in the least shocking things I've ever heard.
    You're evading. Same tactic as no1; deflect and make the thread about the poster and not the topic.

Are you going to have a crack at this? Or are you also going to go on record as willfully obtuse?
  10. 08 May '13 18:51
    the clip is part of a longer comment. However, I do think it is a very insensitive and inappropriate statement when applied to the Beghazi tragedy. Do you think anyone would have made such comments after 9/11? The only difference is the numbers of dead. The important thing here is to find out how this could have happened and then be sure security is such thqt it does not happen again.

It is easy to pluck foolish statements from the mouths of both Democrates and Republicans. Staunch liberals and conservatives have two very different basic world views. Most of us fall somewhere in-between on this spectrum.
  11. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    08 May '13 18:53 / 1 edit
    No no. We're not going there right now. You engaged here, so answer the question. Why might I find this shocking? Why might this statement have taken my breath away?
    Frankly, I'm not sure why this would take your breath away, or why you would be shocked. You seem to be angry about something, but I'm not sure what.
  12. 08 May '13 18:56
    Originally posted by Phranny
    the clip is part of a longer comment. However, I do think it is a very insensitive and inappropriate statement when applied to the Beghazi tragedy. Do you think anyone would have made such comments after 9/11? The only difference is the numbers of dead. The important thing here is to find out how this could have happened and then be sure security is such ...[text shortened]... ve two very different basic world views. Most of us fall somewhere in-between on this spectrum.
    The only difference is the number of dead? Wow. No difference in how we deal with security in a post 9/11 world and a pre 9/11 world? No difference in security expectations of the US government for private aircraft and government officials in dangerous regions of the world?

They needed to have those people sign a paper saying that the US government has absolutely no responsiblity to provide them with protection, at least in your world.
  13. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    08 May '13 19:00 / 3 edits
    Frankly, I'm not sure why this would take your breath away, or why you would be shocked. You seem to be angry about something, but I'm not sure what.
    For the love of God. Unbelievable.

I need to explain to you how unbelievably offensive it is that an Obama ally dismissed the preventable deaths of four Americans in service to the government and under attack by terrorists as "part of life", when Obama/Hils/Panetta had the ability to stop the attack, deploy troops, and rescue survivors? I need to explain to you that this guy basically said that their lives, their deaths, and their service meant nothing? "Four of our guys died, your friend died, your son died, we could have prevented it, but...oh well. Death is a part of life." And he not only says it, but says it to people that lost friends and family in the attack?

Are you kidding me? I need to explain that to you? When you add this statement to Jay Carney's "Let's be clear - Benghazi happened a long time ago" and Hillary Clinton's enraged question, "What does it matter?" - how are YOU not enraged?
  14. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    08 May '13 19:34
    For the love of God. Unbelievable.

I need to explain to you how unbelievably offensive it is that an Obama ally dismissed the preventable deaths of four Americans in service to the government and under attack by terrorists as "part of life", when Obama/Hils/Panetta had the ability to stop the attack, deploy troops, and rescue survivors? I need to ...[text shortened]... Hillary Clinton's enraged question, "What does it matter?" - how are YOU not enraged?
    No...You don't need to explain this to me, I'm aware of how many people were killed, and it was a tragic event, no doubt about it. If I may suggest, let's let these congressional hearings run there course. As you are no doubt aware, many times, members of Congress have access to top secret and classified information that we don't. I'm sure our congressional members (many of them Republicans), will find out who (if anyone) could have acted to prevent this tragedy, or if it was even possible to do so. I think this is a wiser course of action than getting "hot under the collar" at a member of congress that makes a statement you disagree with. Sound like a plan?
  15. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    08 May '13 19:44
    No...You don't need to explain this to me, I'm aware of how many people were killed, and it was a tragic event, no doubt about it. If I may suggest, let's let these congressional hearings run there course. As you are no doubt aware, many times, members of Congress have access to top secret and classified information that we don't. I'm sure our congressional ...[text shortened]... lar" at a member of congress that makes a statement you disagree with. Sound like a plan?
    My friend - because you're making an effort to address me reasonably, I'm going to do the same with you. (Yes, I am admitting that my behavior can be partially controlled.) So, sure. But today will be remembered as not a good one for the Obama Administration, and Hils in particular. Her political career is finished - Republicans are salivating at the prospect of running the ad where Hils bangs her fists on the table and screams, "What does it matter?". Dems can't afford that. Which is a shame - up to this incident, I actually had a lot of respect for her. She was infinitely preferable to the Muslim citizen of Indonesia with a fake social security number we now have.