Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 09 Jan '14 15:14
    I will attempt to understand the liberal mind further. Any help may lead me to jump off a bridge, but I'll take the risk.

1. Liberals hate jobs going over seas.
    2. Liberals hate poverty and champion redistribution of wealth.
    3. Liberals hate that the US has all the money in the world and think it unfair.
    4. Liberals would much rather have jobs stay in the US despite this and have jobs reserved for Americans who have poor people living much better than the poor over seas.
    5. Liberals don't mind illegals coming into the US and taking jobs away from American citizens.

I just don't think it possible to explain this, but perhaps someone will give it a go.
  2. 09 Jan '14 15:27
    Any help may lead me to jump off a bridge

Quickly, everyone! Help this poor guy!
  3. Standard member Soothfast
    09 Jan '14 17:25
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    [b]Any help may lead me to jump off a bridge

Quickly, everyone! Help this poor guy![/b]
    It's not possible for someone who lives under a bridge to jump off of one.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    09 Jan '14 17:31
    Originally posted by whodey
    I will attempt to understand the liberal mind further. Any help may lead me to jump off a bridge, but I'll take the risk.

1. Liberals hate jobs going over seas.
    2. Liberals hate poverty and champion redistribution of wealth.
    3. Liberals hate that the US has all the money in the world and think it unfair.
    4. Liberals would much rather have jobs stay ...[text shortened]... izens.

I just don't think it possible to explain this, but perhaps someone will give it a go.
    I wonder about #5 myself.
  5. 09 Jan '14 18:47
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I wonder about #5 myself.
    The big business Republicans also like number 5.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    09 Jan '14 18:57
    What jobs are immigrants taking? Doing my laundry and picking grapes?
  7. 09 Jan '14 19:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What jobs are immigrants taking? Doing my laundry and picking grapes?
    They pick up a lot of construction jobs. Only a very small minority of illegals go into agriculture.
  8. 09 Jan '14 20:05
    Immigrants "taking" jobs is nonsensical. There's no big cookie jar of jobs that anyone can take a job from.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    09 Jan '14 20:09
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Immigrants "taking" jobs is nonsensical. There's no big cookie jar of jobs that anyone can take a job from.
    If there's more people looking for the same number of jobs, you're either going to have unemployment or lower wages or both.
  10. 09 Jan '14 20:36 / 1 edit
    If there's more people looking for the same number of jobs, you're either going to have unemployment or lower wages or both.
    Indeed. My point is that immigration doesn't conserve the number of jobs, it increases it on average.

How many jobs would there be in the US today without immigration? Zero.
  11. Subscriber KingDavid403
    King David
    09 Jan '14 20:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    They pick up a lot of construction jobs. Only a very small minority of illegals go into agriculture.
    Not true. Most jobs today that illegals take are agriculture, and most do not get paid by the hour but by production.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    09 Jan '14 20:44
    Indeed. My point is that immigration doesn't conserve the number of jobs, it increases it on average.

You get a cookie for a snotty non sequitur.

We are talking about present levels of illegal immigrants. Please explain how they don't cause reduction of wage levels and/or unemployment among citizens or legal immigrants.

Thanks.
  13. 09 Jan '14 20:47

It may increase jobs, but it does not increase it by the number of overall jobs taken.
  14. Subscriber KingDavid403
    King David
    09 Jan '14 20:48 / 5 edits
    You get a cookie for a snotty non sequitur.

We are talking about present levels of illegal immigrants. Please explain how they don't cause reduction of wage levels and/or unemployment among citizens or legal immigrants.

Thanks.
    They spend more here in the US, there by creating more jobs from the traffic of their business. It's simple math. They do cause reduction of wages; because they are desperate and the rich republicans are cheap and stingy and will hire them before any true American at cheap labor costs. That is why they are shipping all American jobs overseas. They only have to pay 3 dollars a day for a 12 hour shift and no benefits.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    09 Jan '14 20:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    They spend more here in the US, there by creating more jobs from the traffic of their business. It's simple math.
    Really? If those jobs were held by Americans, they'd spend more in the US, wouldn't they (they wouldn't send any back to the country of origin as many illegals do)? And without the excess competition from illegal immigrants depressing wage rates, American workers would have higher incomes, wouldn't they?

The math may be simple, but your reasoning remains flawed.