Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 13 Oct '16 12:25 / 1 edit
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/10/12/wikileaks-emails-show-clinton-spokeswoman-joking-about-catholics-and-evangelicals/

Here is what democrats think of the Catholic church.

The latest batch of documents published by WikiLeaks appears to show Hillary Clinton’s campaign communications director joking with a confidant about Catholics and evangelicals in emails sent to John Podesta, chairman of Clinton’s campaign.

Clinton campaign communications director Jennifer Palmieri, who ran communications for the liberal think tank Center for American Progress that Podesta founded, responded to emails from think tank fellow John Halpin who noted a 2011 report in the New Yorker about News Corp chief executive Rupert Murdoch and Wall Street Journal managing editor Robert Thomson raising their children Catholic.

“Many of the most powerful elements of the conservative movement are all Catholic (many converts) from the [Supreme Court] and think tanks to the media and social groups,” Halpin wrote in the 2011 email, according to WikiLeaks. “It’s an amazing bastardization of the faith. They must be attracted to the systematic thought and severely backwards gender relations and must be totally unaware of Christian democracy.”

Palmieri responded that she believes Murdoch, Thomson and many other conservatives are Catholic because they think it’s “the most socially acceptable politically conservative religion.” “Their rich friends wouldn’t understand if they became evangelicals,” she wrote. Podesta did not respond in the email thread.

The Washington Post reported earlier this year that Russian government hackers penetrated the computer network of the Democratic National Committee, gaining access to an entire database of opposition research.

Podesta, a longtime Clinton family confidant, said Tuesday that he was told by FBI officials that the intrusion into his email is now part of a wider inquiry into potential Russian cyberattacks. He would not confirm the authenticity of emails released in recent days by the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks that appear to be from his Gmail account. “I’m a Catholic, I don’t recognize that email that we saw,” he said.

The Clinton campaign declined to comment Wednesday on the contents of the 2011 emails in question, instead linking to a tweet from Clinton’s press secretary Brian Fallon.
  2. 13 Oct '16 12:31 / 4 edits
    To sum up, the Catholic church is the last power base of conservatism, i.e, meaning people with money and power in the US today. Additionally, the Catholic church that stands today is backwards and must be subverted to mirror the DNC platform for the general good of society.

Orwell was an optimist and the Founding Fathers are turning in their graves.
  3. 13 Oct '16 15:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    To sum up, the Catholic church is the last power base of conservatism, i.e, meaning people with money and power in the US today. Additionally, the Catholic church that stands today is backwards and must be subverted to mirror the DNC platform for the general good of society.

Orwell was an optimist and the Founding Fathers are turning in their graves.
    Imagine she said they same thing about Muslims, or Jews, imagine Donald had said the same thing and ask yourself the question, why is this not plastered all over the Guardian, CNN, Msnbc etc etc
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    13 Oct '16 17:57
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Imagine she said they same thing about Muslims, or Jews, imagine Donald had said the same thing and ask yourself the question, why is this not plastered all over the Guardian, CNN, Msnbc etc etc
    It's because Hilary is a Christian:

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/01/25/hillary-clinton-gets-personal-on-christ-and-her-faith/?_r=0

"Hilary Clinton is a Methodist..."

"I [Hilary] would say I am a Democrat because of my Christian values".
  5. 13 Oct '16 22:02
    Originally posted by vivify
    It's because Hilary is a Christian:

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/01/25/hillary-clinton-gets-personal-on-christ-and-her-faith/?_r=0

"Hilary Clinton is a Methodist..."

"I [Hilary] would say I am a Democrat because of my Christian values".
    Hey, just like Adolf Hitler

What are the odds?
  6. 13 Oct '16 22:03 / 1 edit
    The left have sold their collective souls to the party.

The continual assault on freedoms and traditions does not phase them. They rather enjoy it.

The party platform is their truth, and they will preach from the highest pedestal to convince us of their self righteousness while condemning the deplorables and irredeemable who oppose them.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    14 Oct '16 00:20 / 1 edit
    Because she (Hillary Clinton) didn't say it?
  8. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    14 Oct '16 03:18
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/10/12/wikileaks-emails-show-clinton-spokeswoman-joking-about-catholics-and-evangelicals/

Here is what democrats think of the Catholic church.

The latest batch of documents published by WikiLeaks appears to show Hillary Clinton’s campaign communications director joking with a confidant about Catho ...[text shortened]... 2011 emails in question, instead linking to a tweet from Clinton’s press secretary Brian Fallon.
    Hillary makes a less than flattering remark about Catholics, so this means all Democrats think badly of Catholics?? Sorry....this is not passing the smell test. There are millions of Catholic Democrats in America.
  9. 14 Oct '16 05:09 / 1 edit
    This bit made my day.

“Their rich friends wouldn’t understand if they became evangelicals,” she wrote. Podesta did not respond in the email thread.

It makes me proud to be a poor white trash evangelical.
  10. 14 Oct '16 05:22 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Because she (Hillary Clinton) didn't say it?
    The she was a reference to Jennifer Palmieri

Excellent point. They can throw around "Thomistic" thought and "subsidiarity" and sound sophisticated because no one knows what the hell they're talking about.

Jennifer Palmieri <JPalmieri@americanprogress.org> wrote: I imagine they think it is the most socially acceptable politically conservative religion. Their rich friends wouldn't understand if they became evangelicals.

----- Original Message ----- From: John Halpin To: John Podesta

<john.podesta@gmail.com>; Jennifer Palmieri Sent: Mon Apr 11 18:55:59 2011
    Subject: Conservative Catholicism

Ken Auletta's latest piece on Murdoch in the New Yorker starts off with the aside that both Murdoch and Robert Thompson, managing editor of the WSJ, are raising their kids Catholic. Friggin' Murdoch baptized his kids in Jordan where John the Baptist baptized Jesus.

Many of the most powerful elements of the conservative movement are all Catholic (many converts) from the SC and think tanks to the media and social groups.

It's an amazing bastardization of the faith. They must be attracted to the systematic thought and severely backwards gender relations and must be totally unaware of Christian democracy.

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/4364

Ouch!
  11. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    14 Oct '16 05:41
    The she was a reference to Jennifer Palmieri

Excellent point. They can throw around "Thomistic" thought and "subsidiarity" and sound sophisticated because no one knows what the hell they're talking about.

Jennifer Palmieri <JPalmieri@americanprogress.org> wrote: I imagine they think it is the most socially acceptable politically conservativ ...[text shortened]... ly unaware of Christian democracy.

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/4364

Ouch!
    Why should what Jennifer Palmineri said be sufficiently newsworthy to be put prominently on the Guardian, CNN, etc etc. As you said it should be?
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    14 Oct '16 05:45
    This bit made my day.

“Their rich friends wouldn’t understand if they became evangelicals,” she wrote. Podesta did not respond in the email thread.

It makes me proud to be a poor white trash evangelical.
    Considering how consistently and viciously you have attacked the RCC on this forum, your posts here are the height of hypocrisy and stunning political shilling.
  13. 14 Oct '16 06:02 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Why should what Jennifer Palmineri said be sufficiently newsworthy to be put prominently on the Guardian, CNN, etc etc. As you said it should be?
    Why? because it is in the public interest to know and understand what those associated with the Clinton campaign really think. Its like getting a glimpse into the inner sanctum. Clearly they do not hold Catholics and Catholicism in very high regard, I just wonder what the outcome might have been if she had been caught saying similar disparaging remarks about Jews.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    14 Oct '16 07:57
    Why? because it is in the public interest to know and understand what those associated with the Clinton campaign really think. Its like getting a glimpse into the inner sanctum. Clearly they do not hold Catholics and Catholicism in very high regard, I just wonder what the outcome might have been if she had been caught saying similar disparaging remarks about Jews.
    What a mid level staffer thinks is hardly indicative of anything.

Besides its fairly obvious she is criticizing conservative Catholics not the faith itself calling their political beliefs a "bastardization of the faith". Whodey and other right wingers regularly scream when the Pope talks about inequality or climate change; this is probably what the e-mails are referring to as "Christian democracy".