Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    11 Mar '11 09:15 / 1 edit
    ...While I disagree with the recent attacks on organized labor in Wisconson and Ohio by Republicans, I cannot lay the entire blame for this at the feet of the GOP. In 2008 Democrats came out in force to vote, and won in a landslide. Although there have been some swing voters that have since decided to vote Republican in the last 2 years, the sad fact is, many Democratic voters who cast votes in 2008 simply didn't show up to vote in 2010. This is a lesson the Democrats keep having to re learn from time to time. It seems to me Republican voters are more loyal and consistent in there voting habits than Democrats.

I believe the election of 2012 will include a backlash against Republicans for there attacks on organized labor, and the Democrats will benefit as a result. Sadly however the election of 2016 will no doubt find many Democratic voters sitting at home watching re runs of the Simpsons (again), waking up the next day remembering that they forgot to vote. So...Democrats: Are you getting it now?? If you want to move your agenda forward, you have to keep voting!
  2. 11 Mar '11 09:18
    Thanks for the reminder, but unfortunately I'm not eligible to vote in the USA.
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    11 Mar '11 14:55
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Thanks for the reminder, but unfortunately I'm not eligible to vote in the USA.
    Yeah; I suppose you're alive and are not in the US illegally.

4. 11 Mar '11 15:23
    I don't think that it is a question of consistency in voting. It seem to me to be the one that is the most pissed shows up and votes in the biggest numbers.

But I agree with the sentiment of this post, but from my perspective, the error is in the use of the term "landslide". Both in 2008 and 2010 the winning side felt that they won by a landslide because the overall numbers skewed largely their way. However, if you look at the individual races, most were won by a margin of between 2 and 6 percent. Those aren't landslides. They also don't mean that you have a "mandate" from the people.

What is going to do in the Republicans in the next elections is this belief that they are representing the vast majority of the people. They aren't. They are representing a slight majority in a larger overall majority. When you are elected by 52% of the people, you do not have a mandate to do anything. You still need to represent that other 48% and when you push radical changes you alienate the people that voted for you that were/are more moderate.
  5. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    11 Mar '11 15:58 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by CliffLandin
    When you are elected by 52% of the people, you do not have a mandate to do anything. You still need to represent that other 48% and when you push radical changes you alienate the people that voted for you that were/are more moderate.
    Someone should have explained that to Obama before he set out to "fundamentally transform the United States of America."
  6. 11 Mar '11 17:30 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by bill718
    ...While I disagree with the recent attacks on organized labor in Wisconson and Ohio by Republicans, I cannot lay the entire blame for this at the feet of the GOP. In 2008 Democrats came out in force to vote, and won in a landslide. Although there have been some swing voters that have since decided to vote Republican in the last 2 years, the sad fact is, man ats: Are you getting it now?? If you want to move your agenda forward, you have to keep voting!
    They were elected to try and reduce the state deficits. I suppose everyone expected them to cut off the money train without people being up in arms when they did, which is not possible. Of course, if people want to return to the philosophy that government spending is of no importance and all is well with the fiscal state of the country, by all means vote the other buggers back in.

I say that is is hardly a forgone conclusion that the GOP will suffer loses in 2012. Just look how quickly people turned on the democrats from 2008 to 2010. The American people have to decide if they want a government who is fiscally responsible instead of simply writing a check for anyone and anything and the GOP have two years to make their case.
  7. 11 Mar '11 17:37
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Someone should have explained that to Obama before he set out to "fundamentally transform the United States of America."
    Exactly.

Someone should explain that fact to every politician who gets elected. The people didn't choose you, the people rejected your opponent. This is the case in a vast majority of elections. Just be happy that you got elected and don't screw things up.

Politicians are so full of themselves.
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    11 Mar '11 18:04
    Originally posted by bill718
    ...While I disagree with the recent attacks on organized labor in Wisconson and Ohio by Republicans, I cannot lay the entire blame for this at the feet of the GOP. In 2008 Democrats came out in force to vote, and won in a landslide. Although there have been some swing voters that have since decided to vote Republican in the last 2 years, the sad fact is, man ...[text shortened]... ats: Are you getting it now?? If you want to move your agenda forward, you have to keep voting!
    I voted yesterday (or the day before)
  9. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    12 Mar '11 01:03
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Exactly.

Someone should explain that fact to every politician who gets elected. The people didn't choose you, the people rejected your opponent. This is the case in a vast majority of elections. Just be happy that you got elected and don't screw things up.

Politicians are so full of themselves.
    So really you want politicians who change nothing, do nothing and achieve as little as possible. A sort of massive middle (muddle?) ground majority for the most insipid politician on the list. That leaves the real decisions to...? Well of course - the wealthy who manage the money. Not sure you don't already have that situation anyway with a constitution that paralyses any president with an urge to do stuff. Far too excitable you lot. Sometimes I think you believe the stuff you say, but that can't be right.
  10. 12 Mar '11 03:01
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Agreed.
  11. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    12 Mar '11 03:21
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Just be happy that you got elected and don't screw things up. Politicians are so full of themselves.
    You've never thought to yourself, "Gee, why doesn't the government actually try to fix the problem of _____"? It's certainly a balancing act, and one that hurts ideological politicians pragmatically. Ultimately, though, people benefit from progress and learn from mistakes, but don't go anywhere sitting on the status quo.
  12. 12 Mar '11 05:31 / 1 edit
    I love America, that is why I am so troubled by the Rupublican party.
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    12 Mar '11 22:22 / 1 edit