Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    10 Nov '16 00:40
    Let's face it, folks; our mercurial President-elect is the only possible impediment to the Republican Congress enacting its full array of measures slashing away at the safety net starting with tossing 20 million Americans off their health insurance by repealing the ACA.

Elizabeth Warren has already tossed out an olive branch and the rest of the Dems should come crawling. Trump really has no ideological grounding and he owes the Republican establishment zip, so why not try to get him to mitigate the damage? At least there should be an effort to convince him that something should replace Obamacare, not in some vague future, but the day the Republicans vote to repeal it.

Thoughts?
  2. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    10 Nov '16 01:45
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Let's face it, folks; our mercurial President-elect is the only possible impediment to the Republican Congress enacting its full array of measures slashing away at the safety net starting with tossing 20 million Americans off their health insurance by repealing the ACA.

Elizabeth Warren has already tossed out an olive branch and the rest of the Dems s ...[text shortened]... Obamacare, not in some vague future, but the day the Republicans vote to repeal it.

Thoughts?
    Shortly after Obama won, I remember him saying to republicans we won, you lost get over it.
    I think Trump should do likewise.
    Democrats only want compromise when repubs are in charge. When they are in charge, there is no compromise, The American people overwhelmingly rejected Obamacare and it got shoved down their throat anyway.
    Furthermore, I hope Trump tears up every one of those executive orders which really were overstepping his authority.
    I hope Trump doesn't resort to overstepping the Congress with executive orders.
  3. 10 Nov '16 02:39
    Obamacare is what helped slay Hilary.

She supported it and then on the campaign trail Bill said it was a crazy scheme that was destroying the Middle Class.

There is no question that Obamacare was designed to self destruct in order to implement a single payer system soon. The only question becomes, will Trump be their tool or will he come up with another plan?
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    10 Nov '16 02:41 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Obamacare is what helped slay Hilary.

She supported it and then on the campaign trail Bill said it was a crazy scheme that was destroying the Middle Class.

There is no question that Obamacare was designed to self destruct in order to implement a single payer system soon. The only question becomes, will Trump be their tool or will he come up with another plan?
    No, the real question is will Trump allow Republicans to simply repeal it in January and throw 20 million people off their health insurance by February.

EDIT: Here's an article in the National Review discussing the problem from a right wing standpoint: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/442019/republican-congress-president-trumps-obamacare-path-forward-what-now
  5. Standard member vivify
    rain
    10 Nov '16 15:36
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Shortly after Obama won, I remember him saying to republicans we won, you lost get over it.
    Democrats only want compromise when repubs are in charge. When they are in charge, there is no compromise, The American people overwhelmingly rejected Obamacare and it got shoved down their throat anyway.
    Furthermore, I hope Tr ...[text shortened]... his authority.
    When Obama started his first term, he made an open invitation to Republicans to discuss making changes to Obamacare that both parties could agree on. This was back when Dems had the majority in Congress. Reps returned this gracious offer with "death panels", record numbers of filibusters, a government shutdown, and many other sad displays of self-interest.

Your post about Democrats not wanting compromise is incorrect.
  6. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    10 Nov '16 16:00
    Originally posted by vivify
    When Obama started his first term, he made an open invitation to Republicans to discuss making changes to Obamacare that both parties could agree on. This was back when Dems had the majority in Congress. Reps returned this gracious offer with "death panels", record numbers of filibusters, a government shutdown, and many other sad displays of self-interest.

Your post about Democrats not wanting compromise is incorrect.
    They were just words, he never listened to any of them. Your comment may be true but was only for show to the public. The majority of Americans were opposed to Obamacare, Amnesty to illegals, and it is well documented.
    Obaba didn't care to compromise or listen to the American people. He had a Leftist agenda he was going to force at any cost. And for the most part he succeeded.
    Well, now the American people have been heard from in Trump.
  7. 10 Nov '16 16:11

Elizabeth Warren has already tossed out an olive branch and the rest of the Dems s ...[text shortened]... Obamacare, not in some vague future, but the day the Republicans vote to repeal it.

Thoughts?
    I think he might be the only hope to hold the wolves at bay. You are correct he does owe the republicans zip. I wonder if he will do an Andrew Jackson, fire his enemies and hire his friends?
  8. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    10 Nov '16 16:36
    Furthermore, I hope Tr ...[text shortened]... his authority.
    I wouldn't want Trump to do that, I think it is very reasonable for him to reach out to both
    parties, since both parties wanted him to lose. Neither one of them were on his side, so
    why not take the best of both and do something good? Obama was never a good leader,
    but I have liked both his and Hillary's tone after the election which is we are one nation
    and support the next President. If those two can say that Trump should look at both
    parties as the same, they both want power, they both want the other to look bad, and
    they both are looking out for themselves. So use that take the best of both and do
    something good with it.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    10 Nov '16 16:51

Thoughts?
    I know this is only a small aside, but what makes you so sure the GOP can repeal the ACA? The Democrats will still have 48 seats in the Senate, easily enough to maintain a filibuster. I don't think Republicans will blow up the filibuster so quickly. Both parties know that the shoe moves to the other foot very quickly.
  10. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    10 Nov '16 17:30
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I wouldn't want Trump to do that, I think it is very reasonable for him to reach out to both
    parties, since both parties wanted him to lose. Neither one of them were on his side, so
    why not take the best of both and do something good? Obama was never a good leader,
    but I have liked both his and Hillary's tone after the election which is we are one nation ...[text shortened]... re looking out for themselves. So use that take the best of both and do
    something good with it.
    Don't be fooled by HRC and Obama's "nice" speeches. Yes, reach out to them, but do not compromise Conservative values. That is how republicans get in trouble.
    Don't think that the left is not already planning on bringing Trump down. The media will start by saying he is an illegitimate president. Watch the leftist media in the first few months, they will continue to trash Trump and it will only escalate.
    Trump will have to overcome this by speaking directly to the American people, like Reagan did.
    Remember how they treated Bush? That is what they will try with Trump.
  11. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    10 Nov '16 17:55
    Don't be fooled by HRC and Obama's "nice" speeches. Yes, reach out to them, but do not compromise Conservative values. That is how republicans get in trouble.
    Don't think that the left is not already planning on bringing Trump down. The media will start by saying he is an illegitimate president. Watch the leftist media in the first few months, they will ...[text shortened]... people, like Reagan did.
    Remember how they treated Bush? That is what they will try with Trump.
    I don't believe I'm blinded, I said that both the Republicans and the Democrats are looking
    out for themselves, and neither one of them want to do the other side any favors. I don't
    care about either of them to tell you the truth, they both suck and they are both part of the
    same coin the left and right. So we have a President elect that was opposed by both party
    establishments along with the news agencies. Trump is not beholden to either party power
    brokers, so good for Trump! I hope he plays both sides against each other to do the right
    thing by America. If Trump attempts to do anything way outside of what should be done
    I've no doubt both parties will light him up. So we have checks and balances again, YEA!
  12. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    10 Nov '16 18:19
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I don't believe I'm blinded, I said that both the Republicans and the Democrats are looking
    out for themselves, and neither one of them want to do the other side any favors. I don't
    care about either of them to tell you the truth, they both suck and they are both part of the
    same coin the left and right. So we have a President elect that was opposed by b ...[text shortened]... e done
    I've no doubt both parties will light him up. So we have checks and balances again, YEA!
    I won't argue with you here.
    But I like the Conservative picks for Supreme Court and repealing Obamacare.
    Also building the wall. These are all things Trump promised. Let's see if he keeps those promises.
  13. 10 Nov '16 18:31 / 1 edit
    I won't argue with you here.
    But I like the Conservative picks for Supreme Court and repealing Obamacare.
    Also building the wall. These are all things Trump promised. Let's see if he keeps those promises.
    What do you hope they will replace Obamacare with?

It seems very likely to me that Trump will build that wall, there's not much stopping him. It's a waste of money and won't stop many illegal immigrants (of which there haven't been many coming into the US lately anyway), but sure, he can build the wall.
  14. 10 Nov '16 18:45
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What do you hope they will replace Obamacare with?

It seems very likely to me that Trump will build that wall, there's not much stopping him. It's a waste of money and won't stop many illegal immigrants (of which there haven't been many coming into the US lately anyway), but sure, he can build the wall.
    First of all it does not take a genius to see that mandating health insurance would make it unaffordable. What needs to happen is break the ties between the medical industry and insurance. Second there needs to be fair medical costs. Nobody has a problem with a doctor or hospital administrator making a good living, but just not all in one day. C: cause a situation where insurance companies have to be competitive. Fourth, get the illegals out of the country and off the working mans tit. Fifthly, Break up any and all coruption as pertains to government and the US medical system.
  15. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    10 Nov '16 18:52

Thoughts?
    Not my idea, but a friend's.
    Brilliant, simple, elegant.
    Have Congress devise a new plan.
    Whatever they come up with, they will lead the charge with it as their coverage, premiums and all.