Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 07:06
    @suzianne said
    You do know there is a book called a dictionary, right? And in this book they have definitions of words you don't know, right? Look it up.
    It is unlikely he is literally asking if I believe in the dictionary definition of what a theocracy is.
  2. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 07:15
    @duchess64 said
    https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/mar/05/thousands-young-girls-denied-abortion-argentina

"'Thousands' of young girls denied abortion after rape in Argentina
    Anti-choice doctors and health officials accused of obstructing
    *legal terminations* after 11-year-old girl gave birth to rapist’s child."

"The lives of thousands of girls in Argentina are be ...[text shortened]... t every impregnated rape victim, however young, should be
    compelled to give birth against her will?
    'Pro-life' activists like to assume that pregnancies carry no serious risks to health.

Pro-life activists and lawmakers are far more concerned with using the issue of abortion as a political tool than they are about anyone's life.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 07:331 edit
    @philokalia said
    It is unlikely he is literally asking if I believe in the dictionary definition of what a theocracy is.
    He?

And why do you assume that? She asked if you wanted the US to become a Christian theocracy. Why wouldn't she be referring to the dictionary definition? Why assume people are running around with little codebooks where words don't mean what they mean? Seems pretty anti-social to me.
  4. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 09:46
    @philokalia said
    Something tells me that if you said abortion is KILLING BABIES you'd also be called a liar by King David.
    And he would be correct.

Abortion kills a faetus. Not a baby.
    A baby isn’t a baby until it’s out and breathing on its own accord.

It’s not that difficult to comprehend.
  5. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 09:541 edit
    @philokalia said
    No law is above God's way.
    This is not true.
    On so many levels.

The first being: God does not exist. It’s a figment of your imagination, implanted in a series of indoctrinal moments.

The second being: there are various Gods, each with their own whimsical ways. If one of them actually existed, how would you know which way is correct?

The third being: God has said nothing. And any interpretation of what God says or wants mentions nothing about abortion or a faetus.

The law does.
  6. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 10:22
    @mchill said
    'Pro-life' activists like to assume that pregnancies carry no serious risks to health.

Pro-life activists and lawmakers are far more concerned with using the issue of abortion as a political tool than they are about anyone's life.
    And pro-choice activists like to pretend that there is not major mental health blowback from choosing to abort:

Using a standardized statistical technique for combining the results of multiple studies, the meta-analysis revealed that women with a history of abortion face higher rates of anxiety (34 percent higher) and depression (37 percent higher), heavier alcohol use (110 percent higher) and marijuana use (230 percent higher), and higher rates of suicidal behavior (155 percent higher).

The study also found that women who delivered an unplanned pregnancy were significantly less likely to have mental health problems than similar women who aborted unplanned pregnancies. Women with a history of abortion were 55 percent more likely to have mental health problems than women who did not abort an unplanned pregnancy.

http://afterabortion.org/2011/most-studies-show-abortion-linked-to-increased-mental-health-problems/

And, fo course, there is plenty of other stuff where that comes from.
  7. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 10:24
    @suzianne said
    He?

And why do you assume that? She asked if you wanted the US to become a Christian theocracy. Why wouldn't she be referring to the dictionary definition? Why assume people are running around with little codebooks where words don't mean what they mean? Seems pretty anti-social to me.
    It's likely a rhetorical question, right.

And the word "theocracy" is used by the left in the same way that the word "fascist" is.

So Duchess should define it if Duchess wants an answer.
  8. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 12:31
    @philokalia said
    It's likely a rhetorical question, right.

And the word "theocracy" is used by the left in the same way that the word "fascist" is.

So Duchess should define it if Duchess wants an answer.
    No, it’s not used by the left the same way fascism is.
  9. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 12:57
    @shavixmir said
    No, it’s not used by the left the same way fascism is.
    Oh, the left has serious discussions about theocracy and the likes, and doesn't just accuse anyone they think as overly Christian of being a theocrat..?

I do not really believe that because I think I have seen the opposite.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 20:372 edits
    @suzianne said
    He?

(Suzianne replied to Philokalia.)

Within the past year or so, Philokalia promised--after getting called out by other people--in public
    to stop referring to me as 'he'. Philokalia shows again that his 'word' is worthless.

When Philokalia wants to evade an uncomfortable question or prefers to lie about
    his answer, he likes to pretend that he does NOT comprehend standard definitions.
    No one should be surprised at all by Philokalia's perpetual dishonesty.

All the known evidence suggests that Philokalia wants the USA to become a
    white supremacist (or 'nationalist', if he wants to quibble) Christian theocracy.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 20:401 edit
    @Suzianne
    Kavanaugh would be in good stead with these creeps. We have been dealing with the same issue in our own family, not blood but gf of one our sons was kidnapped and raped for several months before she could get free but was pregnant and her family convinced her to have the child. So by now the gf is gone and our son is raising the child as his own. What a screwed up deal for everyone concerned.
    The rapist is still in jail and is due to get out in a year or so and wants custody of the child, if you can imagine that. Since he is the father that twisted bastard is using the law to try to force the custody issue even before he is released.
    Talk about screwed up.
  12. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 03:30
    @philokalia said
    Oh, the left has serious discussions about theocracy and the likes, and doesn't just accuse anyone they think as overly Christian of being a theocrat..?

I do not really believe that because I think I have seen the opposite.
    I don't even understand what you're typing.

The "Left" is a rather large group. Ranging from the US calls left to people like me. And believe me, Bernie Sanders is not "Left", compared to me (I, for example, would nationalise all utilities and open every border).

A theocracy is nothing more than a country ruled by the laws of religion, with a religious political leader.

I don't know what overly Christian means. Is it a comparison between someone who's Christian living in a Hindu nation and is over-compensating... I dunno, by carrying a cross around on his back the whole time?

Or do you mean a Christian who believes in the exact word of the bible (basically a Calvinist or, at a stretch, Catholic Opus Dei)? They are fundamentalists.

If you mean a Christian who wishes the exact word of the bible to be the law and wishes to replace the current government by a ruler from the faith... then, yes, that would be a theocrat.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 08:23
    @philokalia said
    Yes, using the dictionary definition.

What is so hard about this for you?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 08:33
    @duchess64 said
    (Suzianne replied to Philokalia.)

Within the past year or so, Philokalia promised--after getting called out by other people--in public
    to stop referring to me as 'he'. Philokalia shows again that his 'word' is worthless.

When Philokalia wants to evade an uncomfortable question or prefers to lie about
    his answer, he likes to pretend that he does NOT comprehend stand ...[text shortened]... USA to become a
    white supremacist (or 'nationalist', if he wants to quibble) Christian theocracy.
    Heck, even I don't want that, and I'm a white Christian. Evangelicals might, but I don't. Fundamentalists might, but I don't.

I believe in our First Amendment. Religion has no place in government.

I also rail against white supremacy and nationalism. These have no place in my America. Our diversity is our strength. Our government must make room for all, instead of reserving rights to members of just one race.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 08:39
    @sonhouse said
    @Suzianne
    Kavanaugh would be in good stead with these creeps. We have been dealing with the same issue in our own family, not blood but gf of one our sons was kidnapped and raped for several months before she could get free but was pregnant and her family convinced her to have the child. So by now the gf is gone and our son is raising the child as his own. What a screwed up ...[text shortened]... using the law to try to force the custody issue even before he is released.
    Talk about screwed up.
    I had no idea you are going through this. I'm so sorry for your family. May you all find the strength you need to overcome.

Parenting should be considered far more than simply being a sperm or egg donor.