Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 19:47
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/19/charlottesville-stellenbosch-south-africa-racism-history

"I've seen this racial denialism before – in post-apartheid South Africa."
    --David Smith

"“Charlottesville reminds me of Stellenbosch.”
    --John Edwin Mason (professor at the University of Virginia)

"Mason, 62, who teaches African history, said: “We know the denialism
    in South Africa. I find astounding the number of white South Africans
    who will insist they did not benefit from apartheid, despite the fact most
    universities and most professional occupations were only open to whites."

"Some white South Africans have broken through by wearing T-shirts that say:
    “I benefited from apartheid.” Mason commented: “This is impossible to
    imagine in the United States, except in small groups of activists that have
    been very central to fighting racism and white supremacy. To acknowledge
    white privilege, you have to say: ‘My accomplishments are not my own.
    I benefited from a system that oppressed others."

Almost all of the white Americans in this forum would deny that they benefit from racism.
    Many of them like to believe that white people are the most oppressed by racism in the USA.

"In the New Yorker magazine, Jia Tolentino recalled racist incidents at
    the University of Virginia and a fetish for tradition, though the fact that
    slaves had built it was hardly discussed. She wrote: “In fact, Charlottesville,
    while it is home to many progressive people, skillfully models the exact
    sort of coercive propriety and self-exculpation from the legacy of American
    racism that has allowed white supremacy to publicly re-emerge.”

"Andrea Douglas, executive director of Charlottesville’s Jefferson
    School African American Heritage Center, said: “I have an MBA, PhD
    and master’s degree. I’m more educated sometimes than most of the
    people in the rooms I sit in. That education doesn’t isolate me in any
    way from comments that begin with, ‘You’re surprisingly articulate!' "

White people, however ignorant and stupid, tend to expect non-white
    people to be less educated and intelligent than they are.
    (A racist here has concluded that I must be white perhaps because he
    presumes that a non-white person cannot write English as well as I do.)

"Franleigh believes that more white people need to confront the privilege
    they enjoy after centuries of structured inequality. “There are a lot of
    white people who think it’s a past problem and not a present problem,
    that white supremacy isn’t still having an impact."

I once was up against a (politically astute) white man from a well-connected family
    for an award and a corresponding professional opportunity. I noticed
    his air of supreme confidence. He had no doubt whatsoever that he
    would win the award and get the opportunity, which he did, of course.
    In a private conversation, he candidly told me: "Look, I know that you
    are smarter than me. If intelligence or academic merit were all that mattered,
    you should win. But you don't seem to grasp yet that it's not what matters most.
    What matters more is who you know, not what you know or can do.
    You could not have done any better than you did. You really had no chance."
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 19:511 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/16/world-racial-division-us-charlottesville

"Now Trump has forced the world to confront racial division in the US"
    --Mary Dejevsky

"Abroad, it must be questionable how much moral authority, if any, Trump wields at all.
    You can contest the longstanding US boast that it stands up for universal values, a boast
    that lays it open to accusations of double standards – but Trump has never actually boasted that.
    Indeed, he has expressly dissociated himself from the idea that the US would tell other countries
    how to organise themselves. It may be we Europeans who are finding it hard to adjust to a
    US leader who does not see himself, or perhaps even his country, as a beacon for the free world."
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 20:017 edits
    Actually I doubt the vast majority of Europeans and most Americas have a problem with racism. The KKK were after all outnumbered 10:1. The Boston free speech march by even more. Clearly empirically the idea that many people have a problem with racism is simply unadulterated tosh. This therefore leads us to the question who is pushing the racism agenda? Once again we find the usual motley crew of media sources like the thoroughly disreputable Guardian at the helm of an unprecedented campaign of hatred against the person, the family and office of the President of the Unites States of America.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 20:09
    Originally posted by @robbie-carrobie
    Actually I doubt the vast majority Europeans and most Americas have a problem with racism. The KKK were after all outnumbered 10:1. The Boston free speech march by even more. Clearly empirically the idea that many people have a problem with racism is simply unadulterated tosh. This therefore leads us to the question who is pushing the racism agend ...[text shortened]... atred against the person, the family and office of the President of the Unites Sates of America.
    Given that the racist troll Robbie Carrobie feels impelled to spew many posts attempting
    to deny, minimize, or excuse racism (including racist violence)--even by neo-Nazis, one
    wonders when Robbie Carrobie (who's desperate for any claimed allies) will believe that
    he has sufficiently ingratiated himself with other racist trolls at RHP.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 20:152 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Given that the racist troll Robbie Carrobie feels impelled to spew many posts attempting
    to deny, minimize, or excuse racism (including racist violence)--even by neo-Nazis, one
    wonders when Robbie Carrobie (who's desperate for any claimed allies) will believe that
    he has sufficiently ingratiated himself with other racist trolls at RHP.
    Then you will now explain the empirical evidence. The KKK were outnumbered 10:1 by counter protesters, the Boston free speech march by many more. I will ignore your vacuous and meaningless attempts to extricate yourself from the evidence by a vain attempt at vilification. We both know that the tactic is so overused as to become practically meaningless.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 20:42
    There is something wrong with some actions, but there is nothing wrong with racism.

It may not be politically correct, but freedom of thought is more important than political correctness.
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 21:25
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/19/charlottesville-stellenbosch-south-africa-racism-history

"I've seen this racial denialism before – in post-apartheid South Africa."
    --David Smith

"“Charlottesville reminds me of Stellenbosch.”
    --John Edwin Mason (professor at the University of Virginia)

"Mason, 62, who teaches African history, s ...[text shortened]... ou know or can do.
    You could not have done any better than you did. You really had no chance."
    Alternative thread title: "duchess looks for racism, and even finds it under her bed"
  8. Garner, NC
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 21:45
    Although universities in the US have been open for all races for at least 50 years, it is true that African-Americans were underrepresented much of that time.

As a while male, that doesn't give me an advantage, but rather a disadvantage. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but let me explain.

Very few of my STEM classes at my university had a proportional number of African-Americans. Consequently, I was denied the privilege of having a diverse point of view in my math and computer science classes. Although I have routinely socialize with members of many diverse groups including African-Americans during and since my university days, it just wasn't much of a possibility in my classes.

Just think how much better my math and computer skills would be had I had a chance to get the cultural exposure that students are getting more of today.

Not only that, my first corporation after graduate school (a technology company) eventually went bankrupt. But it too was underrepresented when it came to many minorities and women. There's a good chance that through the strength of diversity it would have still been going strong today. So not only has my education suffered through lack of diversity, but my career has suffered too.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 22:242 edits
    Originally posted by @techsouth
    Although universities in the US have been open for all races for at least 50 years, it is true that African-Americans were underrepresented much of that time.

As a while male, that doesn't give me an advantage, but rather a disadvantage. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but let me explain.

Very few of my STEM classes at my university had a pro ...[text shortened]... So not only has my education suffered through lack of diversity, but my career has suffered too.
    "Although universities in the US have been open for all races for at least 50 years [since 1967] ..."
    --TechSouth

FALSE. Even after federal civil rights legislation was passed in the 1960s, some
    private universities continued to exclude students upon the basis of race.

"[Bob Jones University] did not enroll Africans or African-American students until 1971.
    From 1971 to 1975, BJU admitted only married blacks, although the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
    had already determined in 1970 that "private schools with racially discriminatory admissions
    policies" were not entitled to federal tax exemption."
    --Wikipedia

For many years after it began admitting black students, Bob Jones University maintained
    policies barring its students from interracial marriage or even interracial dating.

The issue of private schools practicing racial discrimination was not addressed by the
    Supreme Court until the case of Runyon v. McCrary in 1976.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runyon_v._McCrary

As a white man (who benefits from continuing racism), TechSouth's better off than an
    Asian American who's afflicted by racism and does not benefit from affirmative action.

"A National Study of College Experience led by Espenshade and Radford (2009) showed
    that a student who self-identifies as Asian will need 140 SAT points higher than whites,
    320 SAT points higher than Hispanics, and 450 SAT points higher than African Americans"
    [to have an equal chance of being admitted to the same university].
    --Yi-Chen Wu (University of Georgia)

Some Asian Americans have seriously considered identifying themselves as 'white' in
    the box for 'race' in hoping to avoid more racist discrimination against themselves.

https://newrepublic.com/article/121382/forgotten-racist-past-american-universities

"The Long, Ugly History of Racism at American Universities"
    --Leslie Harris

"American universities were connected to slave trade."
    "One might imagine that this was true only in the South. But the most prestigious
    educational institutions in the North—Harvard, Princeton, Brown, and others—were
    intimately connected to the slave trade and slavery."

"Scholars believed in racial inferiority."
    "Those who spoke against slavery on college campuses were few, and faculty spoke out
    against slavery at the threat of losing their jobs. In the United States before the Civil War,
    only anti-slavery colleges such as Oberlin College in Ohio were consistent in their opposition
    to slavery and racism."

"Quota systems were used by universities in the north."

Reportedly, some American universities today still have secret quotas aimed at reducing
    the numbers of Asian American students (who are extremely politically marginalized).
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 01:50
    "Although universities in the US have been open for all races for at least 50 years [since 1967] ..."
    --TechSouth

FALSE. Even after federal civil rights legislation was passed in the 1960s, some
    private universities continued to exclude students upon the basis of race.

"[Bob Jones University] did not enroll Africans or African-American students ...[text shortened]... reducing
    the numbers of Asian American students (who are extremely politically marginalized).
    Identifying as black would be more useful than identifying as white.
  11. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 04:031 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    There is something wrong with some actions, but there is nothing wrong with racism.

It may not be politically correct, but freedom of thought is more important than political correctness.
    Do you read your own posts?

"There is nothing wrong with racism."?

Really? And then some gibberish about freedom of thought.

Now, naturally, there's nothing wrong with freedom of thought.
    There's nothing wrong with thinking: I hate blacks, Moslims are all terrorists, let's gas all the Jews or let's assissinate the US president.

Nothing at all.
    Oh, so long as it doesn't lead to action...

I suppose though, that with freedom of thought, comes freedom to voice said thoughts?
    Nothing wrong with freedom of speech, old boy!

Quite so!
    I ain't got no job and they're gonna take my house away!
    Who did you say was to blame? Oh, the Jews and the gays? Yes... they all have work and I keep hearin' people say it.

Nothing wrong with freedom of thought and speech. You can't trust the media, you can't trust schools; they're an impliment of the liberal, Jew-owned State, and everyone is talking about 'them' stealin' our homes.

It's not the system's fault, it's the people running the system who are to blame. And we all know who they are!

There's nothing wrong with racist thought Eladar, and it never, ever leads to racist action.
    Not even when the racist thought becomes a cult-like, unquestionable truth.

Nope. Nothin' wrong with it at all.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 04:081 edit
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Do you read your own posts?

"There is nothing wrong with racism."?

Really? And then some gibberish about freedom of thought.

Now, naturally, there's nothing wrong with freedom of thought.
    There's nothing wrong with thinking: I hate blacks, Moslims are all terrorists, let's gas all the Jews or let's assissinate the US president.

Nothing at all ...[text shortened]... racist thought becomes a cult-like, unquestionable truth.

Nope. Nothin' wrong with it at all.
    Yes, there is nothing wrong with racism.

Hanging someone because of race is of course wrong and rightfully illegal.

The group think that causes people like you is much worse than racism.
  13. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 04:19
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Yes, there is nothing wrong with racism.

Hanging someone because of race is of course wrong and rightfully illegal.

The group think that causes peopke like you is much worse than racism.
    You, sir, are a complete retard.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 04:20
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    You, sir, are a complete retard.
    Your intellect is dazzling.
  15. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves