Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 25 Nov '17 13:19 / 2 edits
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/denzel-washington-don-blame-prison-system-article-1.3653432

When asked about the black plight in reference to black incarceration, Denzel inexplicably said that "It starts at home"

Obviously, Denzel is oblivious to the fact that whitey is only to blame. It is the white oppression that causes blacks to be thrown into prison. Black parents have nothing to do with it. I've learned this from my time here at RHP talking to left wingers

Should anyone ever hire him again knowing he is a racist against his own people?
  2. Standard member vivify
    rain
    25 Nov '17 14:16
    "Black parents have nothing to do with it."

Of course they do. The problem is when you claim racism has nothing to do with it.
  3. 25 Nov '17 14:53
    So is Denzel right?

When prodded to expand on his answer, the 62-year-old Mount Vernon native replied: “It starts with how you raise your children. If a young man doesn’t have a father figure, he’ll go find a father figure.

Denzel Washington’s ‘Roman J. Israel, Esq.’ lacks focus — review

“So you know I can’t blame the system,” he continued. “It’s unfortunate that we make such easy work for them.”
  4. 25 Nov '17 17:42
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So is Denzel right?

When prodded to expand on his answer, the 62-year-old Mount Vernon native replied: “It starts with how you raise your children. If a young man doesn’t have a father figure, he’ll go find a father figure.

“So you know I can’t blame the system,” he continued. “It’s unfortunate that we make such easy work for them.”
    You REAR children. You RAISE corn.
  5. 25 Nov '17 17:57
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So is Denzel right?

Of course Washingston is right. It is just as easy to raise children in the Central African Republic as it is in Sweden. The discrepancy between the two societies is entirely due to parents in the Central African Republic not trying as hard as those in Sweden. People in the Central African Republic can't blame the system. (sarcasm intended)
  6. 25 Nov '17 22:02 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra to Whodey
    Of course Washingston is right. It is just as easy to raise children in the Central African Republic as it is in Sweden. The discrepancy between the two societies is entirely due to parents in the Central African Republic not trying as hard as those in Sweden. People in the Central African Republic can't blame the system. (sarcasm intended)
    KazetNagorra seems to have misunderstood Denzel Washington's context of *only in the USA*.
    I don't believe that Denzel Washington was making any international comparison.

Regarding why black men are disproportionately more imprisoned in the USA, many simple-minded writers
    like to act as though either it must be due only to racism or only to problems in black families.
    I would submit that a more reasonable explanation should require accepting two realities:

1) Racism in the US criminal justice system makes it more likely for black men than
    white men accused of the same crimes to be imprisoned and for longer sentences.
    2) Black males are more likely than white males to grow up in 'broken homes' (without
    both parents) and in circumstances of poverty and with a criminal culture around them.

I would add that black people are not merely helpless objects of white condescension or pity.
    Black people can and do take responsibility, improve their lives, and overcome much, though not all, racism.

While I don't have the study in front of me at this moment, I recall that a researcher found
    among American children with one black and one white parent a significant difference in
    average IQ score or academic achievement depending upon the 'race' of the mother.
    Children with a white mother and a black father tended to perform significantly better
    than those with a black mother and a white father. Note that this difference should *not*
    be attributed to any genetic differences because all these children received half of their
    genes from a black parent and the other half from a white parent. As I recall, the study
    drew attention to cultural differences between white and black mothers in rearing children.
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 Nov '17 01:01
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    KazetNagorra seems to have misunderstood Denzel Washington's context of *only in the USA*.

Regarding why black men are disproportionately more imprisoned in the USA, many simple-minded writers
    like to act as though either it must be due only to racism or only to problems ...[text shortened]... udy
    drew attention to cultural differences between white and black mothers in rearing children.
    Agreed and well-stated.
  8. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    26 Nov '17 07:57
    Originally posted by @kquinn909
    You REAR children. You RAISE corn.
    I’m pretty sure you rear and raise children. And that you grow corn.
  9. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    26 Nov '17 08:02
    Maybe Denzil’s just wong on this issue?
    Perhaps his comments are taken out of context.

Probably there’s a little truth to them. The parents are a prioduct of their environment as well.
    I’m pretty certain if there was one single cause of the problem, it could be easily sorted out.
  10. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    26 Nov '17 08:13
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Maybe Denzil’s just wong on this issue?
    Perhaps his comments are taken out of context.

Probably there’s a little truth to them. The parents are a prioduct of their environment as well.
    I’m pretty certain if there was one single cause of the problem, it could be easily sorted out.
    whodey took someone's statements out of context??

Say it isn't so! Man, I am SOOO shocked!
  11. 26 Nov '17 08:15 / 1 edit
    No, I used hyperbole to illustrate why Washington is making an idiotic point. Obviously it is much harder to raise children in the Central African Republic than it is in Sweden.

It is just as obvious that it is harder to raise children in a St. Louis ghetto than in an affluent gated community; given equal parenting skills one would expect the former to turn out worse (in the sense of likelihood of criminal behaviour, etc.) on average. Of course, some parents with especially good or especially bad parenting skills will deviate from this average. If not "the system," then what else determines these differences in average outcomes?
  12. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    26 Nov '17 08:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    whodey took someone's statements out of context??

Say it isn't so! Man, I am SOOO shocked!
    I gave you a well deserved anonymous thumbs up for your sarcasm.
  13. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    26 Nov '17 08:55
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    I gave you a well deserved anonymous thumbs up for your sarcasm.
    Sorry I had to lay it on so thick because there seem to be people in this forum (usually Americans) who can't tell when people are being sarcastic and tend to get their panties in a twist over it.

I don't actually think whodey really doesn't understand the article or that he even took Mr. Washington out of context. I just think he attributes incorrect meaning to what people say in order to further his repulsive agenda. It's what he does.
  14. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    26 Nov '17 10:57
    .......Note that this difference should *not* be attributed to any genetic differences because all these children received half of their
    genes from a black parent and the other half from a white parent. As I recall, the study drew attention to cultural differences between white and black mothers in rearing children.
    The IQ debate....
    again...

Can we infer from this that women have a greater impact on child neurological and intellectual development in general, and that white women are more likely to pass on the attributes of "success" at living in a white dominated society than black women, which shows up as measurable differences in IQ scores?
  15. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    27 Nov '17 09:58
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    The IQ debate....
    again...

Can we infer from this that women have a greater impact on child neurological and intellectual development in general, and that white women are more likely to pass on the attributes of "success" at living in a white dominated society than black women, which shows up as measurable differences in IQ scores?
    I believe there is quite a strong correlation between a mother's IQ and that of offspring.
    Until recently that was thought to be "nurtue". But I think I read recently that there is a
    "nature" element too.