Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 12:24
    I would like to explore certain issues regarding the Green New Deal and see what people either believe about it or have learned about it.

Let's start with air travel. From what I've heard there will be restrictions, so what restrictions will there be?

Naturally, you can't outlaw air travel, but I'm assuming that air travel will be restricted or taxed heavily for those that don't need it.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 12:31
    @whodey

Dims seem upset that Mitch McConnell is putting the Green New Deal to a vote in the Senate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SenMarkey/status/1095439519774638080

Why?
  3. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 13:591 edit
    @whodey said
    I would like to explore certain issues regarding the Green New Deal and see what people either believe about it or have learned about it.

Let's start with air travel. From what I've heard there will be restrictions, so what restrictions will there be?

Naturally, you can't outlaw air travel, but I'm assuming that air travel will be restricted or taxed heavily for those that don't need it.
    Here's a crazy idea; why don't you try reading the resolution sponsored by AOC and Markey? I gave the link in the "Green Deal" thread.

EDIT: In case you couldn't or wouldn't find it: https://apps.npr.org/documents/document.html?id=5729033-Green-New-Deal-FINAL
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 14:43
    @whodey said

Here's the "Transportation" section:

(H) overhauling transportation systems in
    the United States to eliminate pollution and
    greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector as much as is technologically feasible, including through investment in—
    (i) zero-emission vehicle infrastructure and manufacturing;

(ii) clean, affordable, and accessible public transportation; and

(iii) high-speed rail

Not really seeing those restrictions and/or heavy taxes on air travel that you talked about.
  5. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 14:58
    @no1marauder

Here's a crazy idea; why don't you try reading the resolution sponsored by AOC and Markey? I gave the link in the "Green Deal" thread.

I don't often agree with Duchess, but her "abysmal reading comprehension" label she attaches to all white males here might be accurate in the case of whodey.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 16:38
    @no1marauder said
    Here's the "Transportation" section:

(H) overhauling transportation systems in
    the United States to eliminate pollution and
    greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector as much as is technologically feasible, including through investment in—
    (i) zero-emission vehicle infrastructure and manufacturing;

(ii) clean, affordable, and accessible public tr ...[text shortened]... il

Not really seeing those restrictions and/or heavy taxes on air travel that you talked about.
    That is rather broad speech.

What does overhauling mean in regards to air travel?

Is it a Nancy Pelosi moment, you must first pass it to find out what is in it?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 16:411 edit
    Let's take a different approach since the language in the legislation seems to be so broad, kinda like signing a blank check.

If the legislation is passed, how should travel be "modified"?
  8. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 19:13
    @whodey said
    That is rather broad speech.

Is it a Nancy Pelosi moment, you must first pass it to find out what is in it?

OMG- You are a freakin dimwit!
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 19:24
    @mchill said

OMG- You are a freakin dimwit!
    Spell it out, what does it mean exactly?
  10. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 19:47
    @whodey said
    Spell it out, what does it mean exactly?
    Consider this. Cortez succeeds in stopping air travel. Uhhh, the other countries continue life with air travel. Probably the most UN-level playing field in the history of mankind. Imagine the ramifications. While I’m on a 3-day train to the west coast, my competitor from Germany arrives 3 days before me and closes the deal I missed for being 3 days late. I could leave earlier, but think of the lost productivity I would suffer. My competitor is not suffering.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 21:35
    @mchill said
    @no1marauder

I don't often agree with Duchess, but her "abysmal reading comprehension" label she attaches to all white males here might be accurate in the case of whodey.
    "...her "abysmal reading comprehension" label she attaches to all white males here."
    --Mchill

The lying troll Mchill keeps shamelessly lying.
  12. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 23:35
    @duchess64 said
    "...her "abysmal reading comprehension" label she attaches to all white males here."
    --Mchill

I'm attracted to you as well Duchess. 😀
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 23:391 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    Consider this. Cortez succeeds in stopping air travel. Uhhh, the other countries continue life with air travel. Probably the most UN-level playing field in the history of mankind. Imagine the ramifications. While I’m on a 3-day train to the west coast, my competitor from Germany arrives 3 days before me and closes the deal I missed for being 3 days late. I could leave earlier, but think of the lost productivity I would suffer. My competitor is not suffering.
    They can't stop all air travel. There is military air travel, and emergency service air travel, and Nancy Pelosi wanting to fly home every weekend to San Fran from D. C. etc. But what they will have to do is decide things like, can you go on vacation to Europe without battling ice burgs along the way?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 02:26
    @mchill said
    @no1marauder

Whodey doesn't bother to read, he just lies.

Just like a certain president.

Because, you know, it doesn't require intelligence to lie.
  15. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 02:36
    @suzianne said
    Whodey doesn't bother to read, he just lies.

Just like a certain president.

Because, you know, it doesn't require intelligence to lie.
    Whodey, RHP needs to open a thread "Liars"