Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 12 Aug '13 22:56
    No not the Tigers vs. the Pirates.

Detroit, bankrupt, crime riddled, losing population annually, no operating grocery chain, worst in the nation schools, crumbling infrastructure, 90+% black population.

Pittsburg, lost its steel mills, has rebuilt and recovered to be one of Americas preferred cites, 85% white population.

What are the differences, besides the skin color of the population?
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    12 Aug '13 23:15
    Shale industry maybe?
  3. 13 Aug '13 00:13
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh--

At the 2010 Census, 64.8% of the population was White, 25.8% Black or African American, 0.2% American Indian and Alaska Native, 4.4% Asian, 0.3% Other and 2.3% mixed. 2.3% of Pittsburgh's population was of Hispanic or Latino origin of any race.[68] Non-Hispanic Whites were 64.8% of the population in 2010,[69]compared to 78.7% in 1970.

. . .

The growth of Pittsburgh and its economy was caused by the extensive trade in steel through the 1970s. Pittsburgh has since adapted to the collapse of the region's steel industry. The primary industries have shifted more to high technology, such as robotics, health care, nuclear engineering, tourism, biomedical technology, finance, and services. As of 2007, the total annual payroll of the region's technology industries, when taken in aggregate, exceeded $10.8 billion,[86] and as of 2010, there were 1,600 technology companies.[87] Reflecting the citywide shift from industry to technology, some former factories have been directly renovated into modern office space. For example, Google operates an office in a former Nabisco factory, a complex known as Bakery Square.[88] Some of the factory's original equipment, such as a large dough mixer, were left standing in homage to the site's industrial roots.[89] Pittsburgh's generally successful shift away from its industrial past has led to it being characterized as "the poster child for managing industrial transition".[90] Other major cities in the northeast and mid-west have increasingly borrowed from Pittsburgh's model in order to renew their industries and economic base.[91]

Pittsburgh has grown its economic base in recent years to include technology, retail, finance, education, and medical care (which constitutes the largest proportion of the city's employment). The largest single employer in the city is the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, with 48,000 employees. All hospitals, outpatient clinics, and doctor's office positions combine for 116,000 jobs, approximately 10% of the jobs in the region. An analyst recently observed of the city's medical sector: "That's both more jobs and a higher share of the region's total employment than the steel industry represented in the 1970s."[92]

Area retail is anchored by over 35 shopping malls and a healthy downtown retail sector as well as boutique shops along Walnut Street, in Squirrel Hill andStation Square.

Education is another major industry in the region. The largest single employer in that industry is the University of Pittsburgh, with 10,700 employees.[94]

Pittsburgh still maintains its status as a corporate headquarters city, with nine Fortune 500 companies calling the city home. This ranks Pittsburgh in a tie for the eighth most Fortune 500 headquarters in the nation.[95] In 2006, Expansion Magazine ranked Pittsburgh among the top 10 metropolitan areas in the nation for climates favorable to business expansion.[96]

Several Fortune 500 corporations have headquarters in the city or the surrounding area (9 by the 2012 count). These include PNC Financial Services, PPG Industries, U.S. Steel, H. J. Heinz Company, Mylan Laboratories (Located in suburban Cecil Township), WESCO International, CONSOL Energy (Located in suburban Cecil Township), and Dick's Sporting Goods (Located in suburban Findlay Township).[97]

Pittsburgh and the surrounding region is also home to Allegheny Technologies, American Eagle Outfitters, Kennametal, Atlas America, Bayer USA and the operations center of Alcoa. Other major employers include BNY Mellon, GlaxoSmithKline, Thermo Fisher Scientific and Lanxess. The city and the surrounding region serve as the Northeast U.S. regional headquarters for Nova Chemicals, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, FedEx Ground, Ariba, and theRAND Corporation. 84 Lumber, Giant Eagle, Highmark, Rue 21, and Genco Supply Chain Solutions are major non-public companies with headquarters in the region. Other major companies headquartered in Pittsburgh include General Nutrition Center (GNC) and CNX Gas (CXG), a subsidiary of Consol Energy. The global impact of Pittsburgh technology and business was recently demonstrated in several key components of the Boeing 787 Dreamlinerbeing manufactured and supplied in Pittsburgh by area based companies.[98]

The nonprofit arts and cultural industry in Allegheny County generates $341 million in economic activity and supports over 10,000 full-time equivalent jobs. Revenues of nearly $34 million are generated through local and state tax.[99]

The region is also becoming a hub for natural gas and oil extraction in the Marcellus Shale formation.[
  4. 13 Aug '13 00:34
    Originally posted by vistesd
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh--

At the 2010 Census, 64.8% of the population was White, 25.8% Black or African American, 0.2% American Indian and Alaska Native, 4.4% Asian, 0.3% Other and 2.3% mixed. 2.3% of Pittsburgh's population was of Hispanic or Latino origin of any race.[68] Non-Hispanic Whites were 64.8% of the population in 2010,[6 ...[text shortened]... ing a hub for natural gas and oil extraction in the Marcellus Shale formation.[
    The differing population percentages aside, Pittsburgh is dramatically whiter than Detroit, and Detroit dramatically blacker than Pittsburgh. Both would be considered aging "rust belt" cities, but one is doing much better at adapting than the other.

Over 50% of African Americans in Michigan are under emergency financial management of their local cities. This despite a lot of bluster from the previous administration about attracting new business and becoming less dependent on the auto industry. Michigan also has lots of shale natural gas, and possibly oil.

Is there a racial component to the incompetence and mismanagement of Detroit? For 20 years after the 1967 Riot, Coleman A. Young reigned, followed by Dennis Archer, generally viewed by Detroit's black establishment as "not black enough", followed by Kwami Kilpatrick, disgraced two term "hip hop" mayor, and one termer Dave Bing, also thought to be "not black enough" and under whose watch an EFM came in and almost immediately filed for bankruptcy.

It is true that for long before those black mayors, Detroit was a one party Democratic town, but so is Chicago, and while the windy city is not without its own problems, they aren't of the magnitude of Detroit's.
  5. 13 Aug '13 13:47
    Originally posted by normbenign

Detroit, bankrupt, crime riddled, losing population annually, no operating grocery chain, worst in the nation schools, crumbling infrastructure, 90+% black population.

Pittsburg, lost its steel mills, has rebuilt and recovered to be one of Americas preferred cites, 85% white population.

since you are mentioning the black/white percentage population you must think this is related in some way. what way is that, hmm?
  6. 13 Aug '13 16:08
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    since you are mentioning the black/white percentage population you must think this is related in some way. what way is that, hmm?
    I am aware that correlation is not causation. It is worth questioning how majority black rule has effected some major US cities. I think it is largely a cultural matter, which become political. What do you think?
  7. 13 Aug '13 16:10
    I am aware that correlation is not causation. It is worth questioning how majority black rule has effected some major US cities. I think it is largely a cultural matter, which become political. What do you think?
    Yes, but the racists leftists around here aren't even going to consider that. It goes against their religious beliefs.
  8. 13 Aug '13 20:54
    i think mentioning how blacks are the majority in detroit is not enough. i think we should count just how many sparrows are in pittsburg as opposed to how many pigeons are in detroit. of course, we wouldn't say it straight that the reason detroit is in such a mess is that the pigeons are asholes, and the sparrows make pittsburg such a lovely place.

sarcasm aside, i think you have no idea what a closeted rasist you are.
  9. 13 Aug '13 20:58
    maybe we should do the same with africans country too. list unemployment, crime, commerce, and at the end list just in passing "btw, here is how many black people live here, ain't it funny?" then list the netherlands, or germany, how well they are doing, and then list "oooo, look at all them many white folks here".
  10. 13 Aug '13 21:20 / 1 edit
    How about other cities that have large black populations and have had black mayors? Atlanta, for example, that has had a black mayor every year since 1973, and has a majority black population (54.0% ), though the white population has increased (from 31% to approx. 38% from 2001 to 2010). It’s economy seems to be strong. I have a dear friend who lives there, and he likes it (he is white, by the way, and is politically conservative).
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    14 Aug '13 01:55
    How about other cities that have large black populations and have had black mayors? Atlanta, for example, that has had a black mayor every year since 1973, and has a majority black population (54.0% ), though the white population has increased (from 31% to approx. 38% from 2001 to 2010). It’s economy seems to be strong. I have a dear friend who lives there, and he likes it (he is white, by the way, and is politically conservative).
    Be very careful about holding up black politicians from Georgia as models of competence. There are some extraordinarily stupid black politicians from Georgia.
  12. 14 Aug '13 02:10

What they need to do is get the government involved and have HUD force the citizens of Pittsburg to accept HUD developments into various communities throughout Pittsburg and essentially have Detroit move to Pittsburg.

That should fix things.
  13. 14 Aug '13 21:53
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i think mentioning how blacks are the majority in detroit is not enough. i think we should count just how many sparrows are in pittsburg as opposed to how many pigeons are in detroit. of course, we wouldn't say it straight that the reason detroit is in such a mess is that the pigeons are asholes, and the sparrows make pittsburg such a lovely place.

sarcasm aside, i think you have no idea what a closeted rasist you are.
    I think you have no idea.
  14. 14 Aug '13 22:08
    Atlanta is among Georgia's big cities the lowest percentage of Black population. It's reviving economy seems to be built of enticing White population back into the city (about a 25% increase in 10 years).

This seems pretty hopeless in the case of Detroit or its embedded suburbs Highland Park and Hamtramk. Whites have fled, and middle class blacks are following, and the employment base has been gone, and a lot of the housing has also gone by way of fire. A lot that hasn't burned, is awaiting that fate, abandoned and not even boarded up.

By the way, a similar trend emerges in Washington, DC which used to be as segregated as Detroit, but which is growing white population, while certain counties outside take up the slack.
  15. 22 Aug '13 01:28
    Boy Norm, I applaud the fact you were willing to bring that statistic up,