Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 01 Nov '12 05:42
    Look, I'm an Obama supporter. And I'm not suggesting that either Christie or Obama didn't mean anything they said today. But motives are never pure, and it's not exactly a secret that Christie would like to run in 2016.

Notice that Obama mentioned four states has hardest hit: NJ, NY, Connecticut, and W. Virginia - none of them swing states. He avoided pandering to Virginia and NC, both of which were also hit. And Ohio, where Cleveland was hit pretty hard.

Report is that he will only take the high road from here to Tuesday. Maybe a little jabbing, and probably all bets are off as to his ads.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/01/us-usa-campaign-obama-idUSBRE8A006J20121101

Romney is being criticized for campaigning today, but what else can he do?

The photo op "relief" rally yesterday probably won't help him now that the story is out that his campaign bought the stuff from WalMart and then distributed it to his attendees so that the papers would photograph them giving his food back to them, and it also doesn't help that Red Cross issued a statement that they really don't have the capacity to deal with food donations.

And then GM and Chrysler calling him a liar probably doesn't help.

Seven polls out in the past two days showing leads for Obama in Ohio. And thanks to Christie, Obama is looking very "Presidential."

Anything Romney can do to turn it around?
  2. Standard member Soothfast
    01 Nov '12 06:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Look, I'm an Obama supporter. And I'm not suggesting that either Christie or Obama didn't mean anything they said today. But motives are never pure, and it's not exactly a secret that Christie would like to run in 2016.

Notice that Obama mentioned four states has hardest hit: NJ, NY, Connecticut, and W. Virginia - none of them swing states. He avoide , Obama is looking very "Presidential."

Given the combination of the positive press Obama has gotten for his handling of the storm, the near disappearance of Romney save for hapless rallies featuring him expressing sympathy for storm victims through that smirk of his that never seems to entirely disappear, and the desperate Big Lie made by the Romney campaign about Jeep moving to China that is so big even by Romney's standards that it has caught the attention of the nation and wholly backfired, I'm going to say that Obama is going to get a 2-point bounce that will peak pretty much right on top of election day.

People in Ohio are seriously pissed about Romney's lie about Jeep. Ohio newspapers and other media outlets -- including those that would normally be friendly toward Romney and Republicans -- are calling out the lie all over the place. Holy crap, what a gaffe: to tell people in Ohio such a filthy lie about an industry Ohioans live and breathe every day. What the hell was the Romney campaign thinking? But they're committed to the lie now, and I guess have no option but to double and triple down on it. Expect the backlash to bleed into Michigan, too.

EDIT: to answer your question, I think the Romney campaign is sunk. At least the conventional wisdom points that way. But the campaign has a crap load of money still (I think), which is the one "wild card" in this.
  3. 01 Nov '12 06:28
    And it was a really, really bad polling day for Romney. But for a couple of obvious outliers in Iowa and Virginia, he wouldn't even have any talking points.

And I like this guy's theory that Romney's "expanding the map" is really just a last ditch effort to find an alternative way to 270 since he can't move Ohio or Virginia, and appears to have lost considerable traction in Wisconsin.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/31/1152933/-Daily-Kos-Elections-Polling-Wrap-Romney-has-a-bad-polling-day-plus-is-the-map-truly-expanding?detail=hide
  4. 01 Nov '12 12:15
    , Christie would like to run in 2016.

?
    Maybe its time to start Christie bashing threads. Is it too early?

Christie, what a fat slob. The man attacked hard working teachers in his state and is in the back pocket of corporate America. Christie is nothing more than a Romney clone failure.
  5. 01 Nov '12 12:19
    Originally posted by whodey
    Maybe its time to start Christie bashing threads. Is it too early?

Christie, what a fat slob. The man attacked hard working teachers in his state and is in the back pocket of corporate America. Christie is nothing more than a Romney clone failure.
    Don't forget he wants to rape and inpregnate our 13 yr old daughters and force them to carry the babies to full term.
  6. 01 Nov '12 12:44

Notice that Obama mentioned four states has hardest hit: NJ, NY, Connecticut, and W. Virginia - none of them swing states. He avoide ...[text shortened]... , Obama is looking very "Presidential."

Interesting but too much of a conspiracy theory for me. Instead, I think it more that Christie believes his strong ambitions (which I agree he has) are most supported by him being a popular, effective, and hands-on governor.

I agree is the Jeep ad lie by Romney is apparently hurting him in Ohio. A very visible lie and very refuted by the hometown in Ohio. He is losing credibility because of it and making undecideds or swing-voters question other things he has said.
  7. 01 Nov '12 14:39
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Interesting but too much of a conspiracy theory for me. Instead, I think it more that Christie believes his strong ambitions (which I agree he has) are most supported by him being a popular, effective, and hands-on governor.

I agree is the Jeep ad lie by Romney is apparently hurting him in Ohio. A very visible lie and very refuted by the hometown in Oh ...[text shortened]... edibility because of it and making undecideds or swing-voters question other things he has said.
    Democratic Ohio governor Kasich last week said he thought Romney was going to win the State big. I don't believe the desperation, manipulate the vote polls. Since the Libyan debacle Obama is on the ropes taking standing 8s.

When all is said and done, incumbent Presidents live and die on their record, their entire first term, but most importantly what happens in the last quarter prior to the election. On both counts Obama is in deep poop.
  8. 01 Nov '12 14:47
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Democratic Ohio governor Kasich
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kasich

"John Richard Kasich (/ˈkeɪsɨk/; born May 13, 1952)[2] is the 69th and current Governor of Ohio.[3] A member of the Republican Party, ..." (emphasis added by me).

I wonder how many "Democratic" governors are members of the Republican party.
  9. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    01 Nov '12 15:00
    What a delusional freaking circle jerk.
  10. 01 Nov '12 15:20
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kasich

"John Richard Kasich (/ˈkeɪsɨk/; born May 13, 1952)[2] is the 69th and current Governor of Ohio.[3] [b]A member of the Republican Party
    , ..." (emphasis added by me).

I wonder how many "Democratic" governors are members of the Republican party.[/b]
    My bad. I did look it up and thought I found a reference to Kasich as a Democrat, but he is indeed a life long Republican. His election guess stands.
  11. 01 Nov '12 15:30
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Given the combination of the positive press Obama has gotten for his handling of the storm, the near disappearance of Romney save for hapless rallies featuring him expressing sympathy for storm victims through that smirk of his that never seems to entirely disappear, and the desperate Big Lie made by the Romney campaign about Jeep moving to China that is [ ...[text shortened]... e campaign has a crap load of money still (I think), which is the one "wild card" in this.
    The "conventional wisdom" isn't equal to a democratic echo chamber.

I sincerely hope Chrysler, and GM do well, but that remains doubtful, with government "oversight" hanging like a dark storm cloud over both companies.

The premature introduction of the Chevy Volt has been expensive to both GM, and the taxpayer. Not all auto workers are so blind as to believe the administration is doing things ultimately favorable to them or to the nation at large.

Chrysler for quite a number of years has been profitable in good times as a foreign company, and in bad times the red ink flows back to America. What makes anyone believe that Fiat will be any different from Mercedes Benz?
  12. 01 Nov '12 15:38
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    What a delusional freaking circle jerk.
    Which one?
  13. 01 Nov '12 15:38

Notice that Obama mentioned four states has hardest hit: NJ, NY, Connecticut, and W. Virginia - none of them swing states. He avoide ...[text shortened]... , Obama is looking very "Presidential."

I just love how the disaster is politicized.

Classy bunch. Now where is Michael Moore and his foul mouthed seniors?
  14. 01 Nov '12 16:17
    Originally posted by normbenign
    My bad. I did look it up and thought I found a reference to Kasich as a Democrat, but he is indeed a life long Republican. His election guess stands.
    Sure it stands, but it's a lot less surprising that a Republican governor would come out and predict a win by a Republican candidate.
  15. 01 Nov '12 16:21
    I find Christie's praise of Obama a bit odd. Surely it would not have been wise to attack Obama at this time (especially since he doesn't seem to have done anything in particular wrong in dealing with this issue), but the lavish praise seems a bit misplaced and surely will only hurt Romney's chances.